Why have I not received secondaries from schools that dont screen?

tuco's revenge

2+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Albany
Thomas Jefferson
MCW

wtf? Its been over 3 weeks since verification....
anyone else having a similar issue?

akinetopsia

some dude
10+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2008
The Upside Down
Status
Medical Student
It's the end of July and they receive a ton of applications.

For some schools, no one actually looks at your application and once you're verified the computer automatically sends you the secondary link to your e-mail of record. For other schools, a human being has to send a personalized link.

I'm not sure what the deal is with Albany (I've heard they may take a while during July/August), Thomas Jefferson or MCW. Good luck!

Reactions: mcatjelly

Med Ed

2+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2015
Status
Attending Physician
Albany
Thomas Jefferson
MCW

Tell me about it! MCW received only 7,782 applications last cycle, Albany 9,944, and Thomas Jefferson? A mere 10,540! It is truly egregious that the admissions offices at these schools, which are likely overflowing with personnel, cannot single out your file and forward secondary applications to you in a manner that you consider timely.

If I were in your oppressive situation I would call each office, tell them who you are, and demand immediate satisfaction. Trust me, that will lead to a prompt resolution of the situation.

candbgirl

Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status
Check your spam folder. Sometimes they end up in there. But it's really early. Relax for now. Good Luck!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

philosonista

5+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
Tell me about it! MCW received only 7,782 applications last cycle, Albany 9,944, and Thomas Jefferson? A mere 10,540! It is truly egregious that the admissions offices at these schools, which are likely overflowing with personnel, cannot single out your file and forward secondary applications to you in a manner that you consider timely.

If I were in your oppressive situation I would call each office, tell them who you are, and demand immediate satisfaction. Trust me, that will lead to a prompt resolution of the situation.
Automated processes like unscreened secondaries don't require the personal attention of an office??????

ndafife

5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Automated processes like unscreened secondaries don't require the personal attention of an office??????
Do you know they are automated there?
Do you know that they don't want to wait until the class of 2020 is all squared away before moving onto 2021?

There are lots of reasons they aren't out yet.

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Even though a school may not screen for GPA/MCAT for secondary, it does not mean the system is fully automated. Human intervention as in opening a file, confirming intake of the application, etc is srtill done purposely at schools. In addition, schools that dont "screen" still may do an informal initial review by adcom staff that may prioritize applications, which of course requires human intervention. Applicants need to understand there are multiple review points adcom members and staff, various factors reviewed at each point, priorities assigned at each point, and ultimately decisions at each point. This cycle will go on for a year from now. I had a student WL last week.

Reactions: Med Ed and Goro

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Patience is a virtue; the need for instant gratification is not.

Albany
Thomas Jefferson
MCW

studentdocftw

M4
2+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Why hasn't the drive-thru line I'm sitting in moved in the past 5 minutes? Sometimes it can take longer than expected.

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Why hasn't the drive-thru line I'm sitting in moved in the past 5 minutes? Sometimes it can take longer than expected.
I want a double cheese burger, onion rings, and a large orange drink

studentdocftw

M4
2+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I want a double cheese burger, onion rings, and a large orange drink

This actually resembles my interaction today. Even worse, ordered 2 drinks but received no straws. Subsequently, asked for a "couple" of straws, but received one. Asked again for an additional straw only to have the drive thru operator shake her head at me in disappointment, as if somehow this interaction was my fault. Sometimes, you can't win. Another lesson for the OP.