Why haven't I heard from lower-caliber schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brickmanli

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to a few top 10 schools, and some lower tier ones like Wake and Wright State. I have gotten interviews from three top tens already, but nothing from Wake and Wright State. What is going on? Is there a backlog, or are they doing this to spite me? Anyone else with similar problems?

Members don't see this ad.

The process is totally random. Each school has its own way of doing things. Don't give up hope... there's still time to interview at the schools you haven't heard from yet.

i'll say it again:
i got interviewed at cornell, harvard, stanford, and columbia, but REJECTED w/o interview at GW, georgetown, and einstein. take from that what you will.

Members don't see this ad :)
ditto choker.

interviews at columbia, stanford, cornell, duke, northwestern, etc.

expecting rejections from gwu and mt sinai. maybe georgetown, but my app hasn't been there long enough to tell.

who knows? there's no method to this madness!

ah yes! my mysterious doppleganger alice!

Same boat as you guys, though unlike Brickmanli, I don't see it as a problem. I applied to 16 schools 8 of which are Top-ten. I got 8 interview invites, 5 of which were Top-ten ( Yale, Columbia, Duke, Harvard, WashU). Only 3 of the 8 non-top tens I applied to offered me an interview. Random process!

This trend could also be explained in the following way: It could be that some of these schools in question, with somewhat lower admissions standards, don't want to waste their time with highly qualified people who will surely attend a more competitive school. If an applicant has a 4.0 and a 40 MCAT, is he or she really going to attend Wake Forest? I think probably not, as Wake Forest would too.

FYI, I don't have a 4.0 GPA and 40 MCAT, which is why I'm getting a bit anxious. Am I stuck between a Wake and a Duke, being over-and under-qualified, respectively?

Well, I can tell you right now if you are not from Ohio do not expect an interview from Wright State. They accept 90% of their class from the state of ohio and only matriculate 90. Wright State is a young medical school and was created to produce more primary-care physicians to serve Ohio's needs. So you see why they take mostly Ohio residents. I would say that most other lower-tier schools have a simliar mission and only accept in-state students unless they are private.

the lower caliber schools might also be getting more applications. they might be slower. or might be regional.

I think WSUreds is right. There is a post somewhere on here titled "safe schools, where are you?" (something like that) that might give you some additional insight on this topic.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by rajneel1:
•the lower caliber schools might also be getting more applications. they might be slower. or might be regional.•••••I second this theory. If everyone applies to the same "lower-tier" schools, they will have more applications, and it will take them longer to respond.