Why I chose my school: AZCOM!!!

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by Sherry, May 30, 2000.

1. Sherry

Sherry Member

It appears that this is a site many prospective DO candidates come to when deciding on where to apply. In a positive vain I would like to start a topic on why I chose my particular school (AZCOM) and encourage others to add comments about their final decisions as well. This site helped me tremendously and I believe we can help future colleagues as they enter the new 2005 cycle.

My decision to attend AZCOM was solidfied during the interview process. My interview with AZCOM was realatively early in the cycle (November) but as soon as the day was over I new this was the school for me. I left hoping and praying I would recieve and acceptance there and I did less than 3 weeks after my interview. I decided to go on other interviews after that just to be sure and I am glad I did; because I feel even more confident about my decision now.

First and foremost for me was the quality of education and potential for opportunity at my selected school. AZCOM while relatively new, is fully accredited and AOA approved. The recent board results (100% pass rate: the best in the NATION!!!) testify to the quality of education and student body. The Phoenix metroplex offers a multitude of opprtunity for various clinical sites and rotations. The students I spoke with periodically (3rd and 4th year) all spoke with admiration of their school and none voiced regrets.

The Director of Admissions, Nancy Tom was absolutely wonderful throughout the process. The student body was extremely welcoming and there was always some one on the basketball court, in the break area, or library that was willing to share their experiences with me (believe me I asked a lot of them).

The physical campus is absolutely beautiful! It is in a very safe and lovely community. On campus housing with all the perks is definitely a plus! Oh and don't forget the weather!!!! Year round sunshine! Just imagine after final exams in November; stepping out into your backyard going for a dip in the pool to relax and have a "beverage or two".
    Or how about hiking and cycling all year!

Ultimately everyone has their own needs and set of criteria for their potential program. Do a lot of soul searching, define what your criteria are and enjoy the process!!!

GOOD LUCK CLASS OF 2005!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. adismo

adismo covered in moon dust

Just wanted to laud AZCOM as far as location goes; Glendale AZ is a great area, desert suburbia, and Starbucks is only 10 min away. heheh...

Needless to say, AZCOM is one of my first choices as I'm getting ready to apply. Only complaint is the HEEAATT!, walking in AZ at night is like walking in AZ during the day with really dark sunglasses. :- D

4. Mayqswet

Mayqswet Senior Member

I mirror Sherry's comments and am very excited to be starting at AZCOM in 3 months. I know the heat will take some getting used to, but I'm ready for a big change in environment. Also, being from NC, it will be nice not to have to deal with hurricanes or tornadoes for a few years.

Adismo, don't forget to checkout www.interviewfeed.com - it will come in VERY handy for your interview at AZCOM. They asked me the toughest questions of anyone and I felt very prepared.

5. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Banned
    Banned

Resident [Any Field]
    I would like to thank all of you who posted information about why you decided to attend AZCOM or why you are considering aplying to AZCOM. It is information like this that makes it easier for premeds, such as myself, to decide on where to apply and what to look for in a school.
    Thanks again.

------------------
    Josh Hazelton
    [email protected]
    University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
    "D.O. Wannabe"

6. kundun

kundun Senior Member

I really don't understand all of the hooplah surrounding AZCOM. I'm sure its a great school. However, please, its not like its Johns Hopkins or something. Let's give it a rest.

7. Sherry

Sherry Member

kundun

This topic is for those who may be interested in applying to DO schools. It is to provide information on why students may or may not have chosen a particular school. Inappropriate or hostile remarks are unprofessional and only discourage new members/viewers. I choose not to ba a part of that group.

This topic is meant to be a POSITIVE step in encouraging new students to explore and research any and all DO schools and to assist those that will be making life decisions in the upcoming admissions cycle. If you have a positive comment concerning a particular DO school please feel free to do so.

As for me I am proud of the decision I have made concerning my medical education. AZCOM is right for me, obviously you disagree. I respect that.

Peace man!!!

8. Mayqswet

Mayqswet Senior Member

Kundun,

I interviewed/visited 9 schools(MD and DO). The only school that came close to the camaraderie and caring spirit exemplified by the admissions staff at AZCOm was UNC.

You're absolutely right. AZCOM doesn't have the reputation, size, research $ or history of Johns Hopkins. But then again there are very few schools that do. AZCOM just happens to be a solid medical school with a very orgainzed, caring, accessible, student-centered faculty/staff. They're also on the ball in a lot of other areas. That's why those of us who are on the roster of incoming students are very excited.

Just because you don't understand all the positive "hooplah" surrounding AZCOM, why assume it's not deserved? Why not find out a little more about the school before you complain about those of us who brag about it? Who knows, you just might be surprised at some of the great things you discover - they sure sold me.

If it really bothers you to read about people sharing upbeat, positive experiences and trying to help others, feel free to skip over the post [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Mayqswet (edited 06-04-2000).]

9. UHS03

UHS03 Senior Member

As a (practically) life-long resident of AZ, I have had the chance to meet many docs who practice in the Phoenix area. I have heard through the gradpevine that AZCOM students have some difficulty securing rotations during their 3rd and 4th years because the University of Arizona (in Tucson) kind of monopolizes many of the Phoenix area hospitals. I have also heard that many Phoenix area hospitals won't take on AZCOM students because the school won't pay them to teach. Have you guys heard anything about these rumors? Docs like to complain, so I take it all with a grain of salt. I don't think AZCOM has any problems that any other DO school doesn't have I'm just curious what feedback you entering students received regarding rotation opportunities through AZCOM. Thanks. BTW, if there is any info I can help with concerning the Phoenix area, please feel free to ask or e-mail me..I will help out if I can [​IMG] Congrats on your acceptances!

10. Mayqswet

Mayqswet Senior Member

During the interview, they mostly emphasized their preceptor-based approach with clinical rotations. Availability wasn't addressed and I didn't think to ask. Most students tell me that those who've already done their rotations didn't have much of a hard time securing positions and have been getting good evalutions. Now the $ for teaching issue could definately pose a problem if competing schools are doing it and AZCOM is not. But what I'm hearing is that the hospitals enjoy having "locals".

I can tell you a lot more in a couple of years.

Thanks for the offer on city info.

Is is true that drivers get a little crazy when it rains (sort of like we do in the south when it snows)?

11. Sherry

Sherry Member

Since I live in Tucson, I will tell you the driver's in Arizona are crazy all the time! Live close to the school so you won't have to deal with them. The "snowbirds" or "bluehairs" go 35 mph on the freeways, there's no such thing as "pick a lane", and oh yes the rain!!! It's all true! But don't worry too much you'll be in classes all day and all the aforementioned go inside after dark.

Guess what, it did snow this past Easter!! It lasted at least three hours I couldn't believe it. I had to drive all around and take pictures all over the desert and not one "snow bird" on the road. It was heaven!!!!

12. UHS03

UHS03 Senior Member

Drivers in AZ are among the rudest you will ever find. The less driving you do, the more sane you will be. It's true that when it rains everyone drives like an idiot (they only see rain about 3 times a year there, so I guess people just aren't used to it [​IMG] Anyway, AZCOM is pretty removed from the city so you shouldn't have too much trouble (there are a lot of senior citizens out west by where you'll be and they can pose a problem on the roads!) I love AZ and can't wait to go home later this summer! Let me know if you have any other questions at all.

13. adismo

Its funny you guys should mention drivers in AZ. I live near LA so everyone does 90 whenever possible so driving in AZ was torture, people were actually going the speed limit. oh, and all the oldfolks and 18 wheelers decided to go driving the same time i did. AZCOM here i come!!!

14. adismo

this question is about interviewing,

about 2 years ago when i first applied to medschool, i was naive about interviewing and seemed non-assertive in my interviews. i did not get in anywhere, they were all MD schools. ive grown more and more teed-off with medchool applications and will probably flip the bird if provoked.
    jk, but my real question is how to interview at AZCOM or anywhere, is it better to be assertive, brazen or to just smile and be a yesman? please reply.

15. Mayqswet

Mayqswet Senior Member

Adismo,

First of all, you should develop a 200 to 300 word opening statement which is like a sales pitch. It should include: explaining how you came to this point, how your strengths have helped you so far and how you intend to continue to develop them and something about the school that impresses you. Wrap it up by showing how your interests and strengths mesh with the mission/specialty/ideals at AZCOM. Nothing but positives about you and the school here! This will be your response to the request: "So tell us a little about yourself". You'd be surprised by how many people stutter when they get this question and it's really an open door to toot your own horn while stroking the admissions committee's ego about how great their school is. Plus, it sets a great tone for the rest of the interview.

Be prepared to show how any weaknesses you chose to share with them have given you the opportunity to learn and grow (and pick something that they know will not affect your performance in med school or as a DO). Give specific examples of how you learn from your mistakes and realize that you still have a lot to learn (that's why your wanting to go to school, right?). Also, give them the sense that you realize that it is a privilege to practice medicine and you intend to do whatever it takes, while striving to maintain balance in your own life because you realize that you will be a role model for your patients, coworkers, spouse and children. And, whatever you do, NEVER say negative things about a former professor, coworker, school, philosophy, etc. You want to show them that you are open minded and fair, even if you don't agree with something or someone. Even if you had terrible directions on getting there and the weather sucks and you stepped in a mud puddle, be positive. When you focus on the positive, you set the tone for the entire conversation.

Be sure that you have several questions for them. Ask them what is it about the school/area that keeps them there, how long have they been there, what are the future plans for the school, what is the best quality of the school, something specific about the curriculum, something about placement of residents in their top pick places, etc. This will show them that you have taken the time to research the school and are serious about going THERE, not just anywhere.

Write down the names of everyone you interview with and send each one a personalized thank you card saying something specific about what they said to you during the interview. The more you can customize it, the more personal it will be and the more they will think "You know, that Adismo sure is a great guy". See how it works?

As your are doing all this, don't forget to check out Interviewfeedback.com. I got a ton of great information there. Also, drop by your local book store or go to Amazon.com and get the Career Track Seminar Series tape called: 101 Answers to the toughest interview questions" by Ron Frye; it is a great resource that you will use over and over in your career.

Overall:
    Be informed
    Be likeable
    Be honest
    Be positive

Good luck!

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. adismo

wow, im going to print this, i was the exact opposite last time around, no wonder i got booted. thanks*10^6 [​IMG]

18. Carp

Carp Member

check out the "Essential Interview Wisdom" post on www.review.com interview disscussion posts. I think you'll find it rewarding.

19. hikingthrulife

hikingthrulife Junior Member

AZCOM rocks!!! Hey IQ!!!

20. adismo

Hey AZCOM people,

I'm probably thinking too far into the future but I'd like to know how affordable the housing is in your area, and how is the oncampus housing?

Thanks for any replys!

21. tedsadoc2002

tedsadoc2002 Senior Member

Hi,
    Campus housing is expensive (however if it's convenience you're looking for, then the apartments are your best bet) area apartments are more cost effective. Those of you going to AZCOM will be very pleased with the quality of education, I can tell you that I am (especially after doing well on the boards, thanks to a dedicated faculty!). Best of luck to all accepted and all those applying.

22. tedsadoc2002

tedsadoc2002 Senior Member

Hi,
    Campus housing is expensive (however if it's convenience you're looking for, then the apartments are your best bet) area apartments are more cost effective. Those of you going to AZCOM will be very pleased with the quality of education, I can tell you that I am (especially after doing well on the boards, thanks to a dedicated faculty!). Best of luck to all accepted and all those applying.

23. Boomer

Boomer Supreme Sooner Member

Actually, the campus housing isn't too bad (I think Sherry may have more info on this, than I do though). They have 18 of what they call "luxury" one bedroom apts. These things are 1100 or 1200 (once again, not sure of the exact figure) square feet. All bills are paid (including cable, I think), and I believe this floor plan includes a washer and dryer (or at least connections). For around 700 a month. Considering this is all bills paid (and the mammoth amount of electricity that is required in the hot months) I don't think this is a bad deal--and I'd pay a little extra to live on campus and get a few more minutes of precious extra sleep. But, the nice ones fill up fast. When I was accepted in May, I checked into them. The 18 were full, with a waitlist 18 people deep. If your acceptance to AZCOM comes early enough, I would HIGHLY recommend looking into on campus housing (as driving sucks here, and any way of removing stress is great).

Good luck on the applications, all.

24. Sherry

Sherry Member

I live on campus and it is great! The luxury apartments are awesome, 1 bedroom is 1200 sq. ft. washer and dryer included, utilities are included except for electricity (these includes free cable, telephone, and T-1 connection on LAN, water, etc. Additionally they are very well designed and asthetically pleasing, even for my "distiguished" taste (Ha! Ha!).

One of the best perks of on campus housing is convienence. I can get up 30 minutes before class and walk to class and still have time to get my caffeine fix. We have a great pool, clubhouse, basketball court, sand and turf vollyball courts, and not to mention all the great neighbors. Plus it is really quiet and calm immediately around the apartments themselves, so plenty of peace and quiet for study.

Hey guys, how's it going? Back to the old grindstone? We're heading to Sedona Saturday for a get away. Just in time to hit it again sun & mon. Chaio!

25. new_med

new_med Member

Hello, future colleagues! [​IMG]

Just wanted to say that I was interviewed at AZCOM last year and got accepted. Because of personal reasons, I chose WesternU over AZCOM. I have absolutely no regrets (my school is great), but AZCOM interview was the BEST interview I've ever had. The school is very good too. Those of you who consider applying to AZCOM, please do. I think this school has a great future.

good luck

26. adismo

Thanks ladies & guys a'la AZCOM. This school sounds great, esp. considering that i like the heat. MY next concern is regarding MSIII and IV rotations: how difficult is getting your first choice, and are you shipped halfway across the country for these years? What about residencies; how successful are AZCOM alumns in finding good positions? Thanks again,

AZCOM rocks!