Why I don’t think I should have taken a full ride.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Asclepius293

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Went to my state school in the city where I’ve lived my whole life for a full ride scholarship. Turned down out of state schools which Felt like much better fits with better programs.

I know it’s a good problem to have. However, I can’t shake the regret of staying for financial reasons. I feel like we make choices based on what will serve us later on, but medicine as a whole doesn’t seem to be something that *gets better* after some stage. It will always be extremely busy and stressful, so why not do what you enjoy and be where you would be happiest in the moment vs making choices for some distant nonexistent perfect future? The light at the end of the tunnel is sometimes just another train heading your way.

Now I’m just grinding it out another 4 years hoping to go somewhere I enjoy for residency. Anyone ever feel like this?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
This is why it is often recommended on here to choose the school that's a best fit for you and to avoid choosing schools purely for financial reasons. Many members have made a mistake of turning down strong, reputable schools for unknown schools with questionable curricula simply because they don't want to deal with debt, and they are now regretting their decision.

Debt can be paid off with good financial planning and frugal lifestyle. Use the time now to choose the medical school that you like the most so that the school years can be enjoyable despite the usual stresses involved.

Reactions: 3 users
Now that I am repaying loans, I regret choosing private institutions earlier in my life. Would have been happier with cheaper in state programs.

Reactions: 29 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's different for everyone and comes down to priorities. Some are happiest with the least debt, others don't mind taking more debt in exchange for other things they want out of their school. There's no single right answer here.

In your case, OP, I recommend that you shift your thought paradigm. Wishing you'd chosen differently will do nothing but make you miserable. What's done is done, and regret over the past will rob you of your joy in the present. Remember that the grass always appears greener elsewhere, but that doesn't mean it actually is -- if you were at one of those other schools, how do you know you wouldn't regret all the debt you were incurring when you could have become a doctor for so much less? You can't possibly know because that's not the way things played out. Stop tormenting yourself and learn to love the journey. If you always focus on what could have been, you'll always be unhappy with what is.

Reactions: 27 users
“Fit” is a cliche.....you need a service and they are providing it. Don’t romanticize thid

Reactions: 23 users
Many people (myself included) would have attended medical school in Siberia, Uganda, or the fifth circle of Hell in exchange for a full ride, as long as the degree was granted as a US non-international program. Look on the bright side, the rest of us will be broke and you'll be lighting cigars with $100 bills right out of residency :)

Reactions: 18 users
“Fit” is a cliche.....you need a service and they are providing it. Don’t romanticize thid
That's true so far as the school and its administration goes, but there's definitely such a thing as ''fit' within your classmates at a school.
And, tbh, it's still valid to consider whether the service they offer (aka the class styles and requirements) is going to benefit you as much in one place as in another, with a different setup...which is another form of 'fit'. You don't have to romanticize it to recognize its existence. Clichés are often rooted in some truth, and this one is no exception.

Reactions: 5 users
I would also look into where the graduates end up in 5, 10, 20 (if possible) years rather than focusing on immediate financial incentives. If you aren't sure about your long-term goals, I would still be content with a school that has a potential to keep as many doors open as possible.

Many people (myself included) would have attended medical school in Siberia, Uganda, or the fifth circle of Hell in exchange for a full ride, as long as the degree was granted as a US non-international program. Look on the bright side, the rest of us will be broke and you'll be lighting cigars with $100 bills right out of residency :)
or DURING residency, should the OP choose a field and a program with ample moonlighting beginning PGY-2 . :cigar:

Last edited:
Went to my state school in the city where I’ve lived my whole life for a full ride scholarship. Turned down out of state schools which Felt like much better fits with better programs.

I know it’s a good problem to have. However, I can’t shake the regret of staying for financial reasons. I feel like we make choices based on what will serve us later on, but medicine as a whole doesn’t seem to be something that *gets better* after some stage. It will always be extremely busy and stressful, so why not do what you enjoy and be where you would be happiest in the moment vs making choices for some distant nonexistent perfect future? The light at the end of the tunnel is sometimes just another train heading your way.

Now I’m just grinding it out another 4 years hoping to go somewhere I enjoy for residency. Anyone ever feel like this?
Why do you think you would have been happier elsewhere? And what would make it worth a few hundred thousand versus nothing?

Reactions: 1 user
I had a very difference experience from the OP. I turned down a full-ride at a top-10 school to be at a top-3 school that was much closer to my SO and family. I went to college with the best financial aid package on the opposite coast from my family. In doing so, I graduated without any debt, so I allowed myself the option of splurging for medical school. I wonder about the money from time to time, but I love being able to see my SO over holiday weekends and being able to go back home to see my family over breaks (and you can't really put a price on that). In addition, it helped that my current school also has top residency program in my field of interest, which will make choosing my current school all the more worthwhile if I can work hard enough to match there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Serious question: how do you gauge “fit” as a premed in an interview? I guess you can like the town more/less than others but beyond that I’m clueless. It’s not like you can feel out how well you’ll get along with classmates who aren’t there yet either.

I turned down a cheaper school for a more expensive one because the administration was scary and the students seemed miserable. Looking back, maybe I should have gone there. I mean, I like my school just fine and everything but at the end of the day it’s just different ways to skin the same cat.

Edit: also, bc of my debt there’s certain fields (read “pediatrics”) that I just will never entertain pursuing which is sort of sad tbh.

Last edited:
I also think that you are missing one major point. Med school is but four years of your life. The specialty you decide to pursue is going to be your career. If you have no debt, you can literally choose to go into whatever field you want (at whichever residency ends up being a "good fit" assuming you're competitive enough).

If you have insurmountable debt from medical school this makes the decision on residency infinitely harder. Finances become a much larger part of that decision when you have $250,000-$500,000 in debt.

I talk about some of this dilemma here
Should I go to medical school? - The Physician Philosopher
Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
This is why it is often recommended on here to choose the school that's a best fit for you and to avoid choosing schools purely for financial reasons. Many members have made a mistake of turning down strong, reputable schools for unknown schools with questionable curricula simply because they don't want to deal with debt, and they are now regretting their decision.

Debt can be paid off with good financial planning and frugal lifestyle. Use the time now to choose the medical school that you like the most so that the school years can be enjoyable despite the usual stresses involved.

I feel like I immediately knew a specific school you may be referring too. Wonder if you had were thinking of a specific school or just me projecting my thoughts.

To OP: There is nothing you can do at this point. I often have regrets over my school choice but I can't change it. I handle it by complaining, from time to time, to classmates who feel the same. Just take solace in knowing you won't have the debt of medical school on top of the other debts you will no doubt acquire through life.

Trust me - medical schools are ALL the same as long as they are allopathic. You spend 80% of your time studying for that Step 1 no matter where you go. By third year - its the interpersonal dynamics on the wards/outpatient that will make or break your experience. You can't predict which place will give you better training in your 3rd year clerkships and 4th year SubIs. I did a Neuro inpatient month at Yale - and it was a nightmare with all the snobbery and hierachy. My month at my home state school was amazing with all the teaching and residents/attendings actually invite me to their home for dinner.

Please - take the option that will leave you with NO DEBT. Especially in this age of compounding interests.

The no debt life is great once you start residency and make your own money

Do people actually think paying 450-600k for a 350k loan is something to be considered when you have the option of paying 0k for 0k?

Think of it this way and youll be happier - when you get paid your measly 60k during PGY1, youll be able to spend/save almost all of that.
When the rest of us peasants get to that point well be in so much debt well have to live like students for 5 years AFTER residency just to pay it off quickly. A 33-year-old me living like 19-year-old me? With a wife and kids? Not something im looking forward to. Enjoy the financial freedom man. Buy yourself something nice this christmas.

Reactions: 10 users

Sorry to hear that. You already know the advantages of having little debt.

Work hard so you can get the residency program/location of your choice.

Many members have made a mistake of turning down strong, reputable schools for unknown schools with questionable curricula simply because they don't want to deal with debt, and they are now regretting their decision.
Hahaha yeah, you're definitely talking about me :)

I hate my school. Most days, I want to burn this place down and spare future students from ever having to deal with the constant headache that is my school. But, I don't worry about money at all, I'm in a routine of doing my own thing, and I've made some really great friends here (in spite of my school's environment, not because of it, to be clear). I have zero doubt that I would have been happier and performed more in line with my potential if I were at one of the other programs I considered. A lot of my peers have similar feelings but the ones who don't wouldn't respond well to hearing about them, so it isn't talked about much. Just know that you aren't alone.

Additionally, it gets better. The tone-deaf nature of my admin drove me crazy last year, but this year it mostly makes me laugh (honestly, they're so clueless it's comical). You get desensitized to the things that bother you and figure out a way to take care of yourself, because you have to. Keep that in mind so you can forgive yourself for the decision you made, but don't forget about these feelings when it comes time to rank residency programs.

Reactions: 4 users

I hate my school. Most days, I want to burn this place down and spare future students from ever having to deal with the constant headache that is my school. But, I don't worry about money at all, I'm in a routine of doing my own thing, and I've made some really great friends here (in spite of my school's environment, not because of it, to be clear). I have zero doubt that I would have been happier and performed more in line with my potential if I were at one of the other programs I considered. A lot of my peers have similar feelings but the ones who don't wouldn't respond well to hearing about them, so it isn't talked about much. Just know that you aren't alone.

Additionally, it gets better. The tone-deaf nature of my admin drove me crazy last year, but this year it mostly makes me laugh (honestly, they're so clueless it's comical). You get desensitized to the things that bother you and figure out a way to take care of yourself, because you have to. Keep that in mind so you can forgive yourself for the decision you made, but don't forget about these feelings when it comes time to rank residency programs.

Med school goes by fast. You've made close friends, realized that most of what you worried about doesn't matter by 2nd year, you're studying and probably doing just fine, you don't have to worry about money, and by 3rd year, you won't even be dealing with your pre-clinical admin much at all.

Trust me, the stuff that you are so annoyed at in med school will be even less important after you leave.

Residency is different. You'll be working harder, those around you will be even more important, and you won't be taking out debt to be there. I'd argue that fit is among the most important aspects of choosing a residency program (up there with location, opportunities/training offering you what you want).

Reactions: 4 users

When I read this, I had to check the username and time stamp to make sure it wasn't something I wrote previously. You've literally described my entire medical school experience in vivid detail.

The only thing that keeps me going is knowing I'll have minimal debt and that I'll destroy step 1 (since I've been able to do my own thing). At the end of the day what's a ****ty 3ish years? I'll look back and laugh about this all someday.

Last edited:
You went on an interview that lasted a few hours and have now concluded all your life problems would be solved by it? Right

You went on an interview that lasted a few hours and have now concluded all your life problems would be solved by it? Right

So there's really some truth to this right. We are kind of forced to make a decision with relatively little information, and then we (I guess some of us) are left questioning it.

I really questioned whether I would have done better at a different medical school during the first 2-3 yrs of med school. Admin were abrasive, and I knew this going in, but it just added an extra layer of stress throughout the 4 yrs. I ultimately made the decision because of location and price, which were very high on my list, and still valid when I graduated.

When I matched, it kind of floated away. Little bits were still there, but for the most part it was gone. Graduating and getting that diploma was even better.

I think you're being short-sighted. If you made a decision at least partially based on money, you can't really judge that decision with full hindsight until you get to the part where you (would have had to) start paying loans back. If you're still in medical school, it's way too early to be judging. I don't think most medical students understand the financial ramifications of tuition until they're on the other side and no longer playing with Monopoly money.

Secondly, "fit" is an amorphous term that really means nothing. You have no way of knowing whether those other schools would have truly been better for you in the short-term, or if you're just romanticizing them from a distance. A school's warts and flaws only become apparent once you're a student there, not on an interview day. Plus, it's a medical school education. Unless you're going to a brand new school with few residency connections and terrible administrators, you're doing nothing wrong ... I think you're getting buyer's remorse over nothing. Now staring down the barrel of my student loans, I can confidently say I would have done close to anything to get a full ride in medical school.

Reactions: 9 users
I think you're being short-sighted. If you made a decision at least partially based on money, you can't really judge that decision with full hindsight until you get to the part where you (would have had to) start paying loans back. If you're still in medical school, it's way too early to be judging. I don't think most medical students understand the financial ramifications of tuition until they're on the other side and no longer playing with Monopoly money.

Secondly, "fit" is an amorphous term that really means nothing. You have no way of knowing whether those other schools would have truly been better for you in the short-term, or if you're just romanticizing them from a distance. A school's warts and flaws only become apparent once you're a student there, not on an interview day. Plus, it's a medical school education. Unless you're going to a brand new school with few residency connections and terrible administrators, you're doing nothing wrong ... I think you're getting buyer's remorse over nothing. Now staring down the barrel of my student loans, I can confidently say I would have done close to anything to get a full ride in medical school.
Completely agree. The difficulties with med school adminstration get forgotten so quickly upon entrance into residency. I actually stayed at my home institution for residency and, despite knowing the underbelly of the med school from being heavily involved in student government, I ended up coming away with a pretty solid opinion of my medical school after my first year or so of residency. It prepared me for the next step, even if I thought some of the things I saw were extremely unfair or wrong at the time.

I also didn't recognize the significance of my debt to my future self until I started paying it back. Now paying $4000 per month to have it paid off in three years I better understand how big of a deal it was. Thank God I didn't have any undergrad debt.

Money isn't the only part of the decision but it is a huge part of it. Paricularly if the two medical schools are in the same tier or comparable to each other.

TPP

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

medicine as a whole doesn’t seem to be something that *gets better* after some stage.
Who in the world told you this? Medicine is an awful training pathway that leads to a great job.

Also my full ride was in exchange for 7 years in the Navy, so I think you can deal with 4 years in a less than ideal medical school.

Remember OP you delayed gratification. You're front loading the pain instead of backloading it so you can't accurately assess the wiseness of your decision until you get to the actual gratification part.

Keep grinding OP.

Thanks all for your replies. I apologize for coming off as entitled/ungrateful. I realize a full ride is an amazing thing not to be taken lightly.

My dissatisfaction is more over the delay in moving away in what I saw as "starting my life". The school I'm at is not bad at all. Minus some administrative headaches (which I think everyone has faced), its on equal tier to the other places I was accepted to and has the same placement residency wise. It's just that I'm in the same place I grew up and went to undergrad at. Was really looking forward to a new experience somewhere else. Also LGBT and interested in the military so USUHS or taking HPSP in a more inviting east coast school was appealing for those reasons. However, full ride without strings should afford a lot of flexibility for the future if I can just do well now. I realize medicine is a grueling training pathway anywhere for a great job. My thought is just that we put so much stock in delayed gratification, some days I wonder if its better to try and get the most happiness/fulfillment out of the journey vs. the eventual destination since training and the busy lifestyle is never really over.

Anyways, thanks for the reality checks and advice. Back to the grind and looking forward to the future.

Thanks all for your replies. I apologize for coming off as entitled/ungrateful. I realize a full ride is an amazing thing not to be taken lightly.

My dissatisfaction is more over the delay in moving away in what I saw as "starting my life". The school I'm at is not bad at all. Minus some administrative headaches (which I think everyone has faced), its on equal tier to the other places I was accepted to and has the same placement residency wise. It's just that I'm in the same place I grew up and went to undergrad at. Was really looking forward to a new experience somewhere else. Also LGBT and interested in the military so USUHS or taking HPSP in a more inviting east coast school was appealing for those reasons. However, full ride without strings should afford a lot of flexibility for the future if I can just do well now. I realize medicine is a grueling training pathway anywhere for a great job. My thought is just that we put so much stock in delayed gratification, some days I wonder if its better to try and get the most happiness/fulfillment out of the journey vs. the eventual destination since training and the busy lifestyle is never really over.

Anyways, thanks for the reality checks and advice. Back to the grind and looking forward to the future.

Best of luck! You’ll find plenty of love for your demographic even if “you’re pigeon-holed in XYZ region”. The coasts don’t have a monopoly over cultural competence. Given the field you’ve expressed interest towards, I’m sure the difficulty of your training will be front-loaded and you will be able to match back home and live the good-life if you do well next year.

Last edited:
Remember OP you delayed gratification. You're front loading the pain instead of backloading it so you can't accurately assess the wiseness of your decision until you get to the actual gratification part.

Keep grinding OP.
Somewhat offtopic, but do you guys ever worry that the delayed gratification won't be as good as one expects? Like what if our healthcare goes the way of Europe or in that direction? A terrifying though considering many of us have 5-10 years of schooling left...

I chose a lesser known state school over a top 10 school due to getting a full ride. I never regretted it and probably one of the best decisions I ever made. Ended up with excellent board scores, got great clinical experience, and a great competitive residency program. You as an individual better determines your future success than your choice of med school (note: make sure you take time to network and make friends with everyone throughout your training- you never know who will later be able to help you out). The scholarship easily saved me >$500k and allowed me a much better lifestyle in residency and during the first couple years of private practice. I never had to "live like a resident" (considering my wife had a solid job when i was in med school and residency). Most people's monthly loan payments amount to a typical mortgage payment.- I was able to afford a higher quality of life:save more for retirement, nicer house and car as a result. There have been so many times since med school ended, that both my wife and I thank my lucky stars for getting that scholarship. I'll have enough money saved to retire YEARS earlier thanks to that scholarship.

Keep your nose to the grindstone. It's eventually worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

I'm sorry, but as someone who is about to graduate residency, I could not DISAGREE with you more. Any U.S. MD medical school will teach you what you need to know and give you the knowledge to succeed. I'd much, much rather go to a cheaper state med school and not accrue debt than be at the end of residency and have to forego the jobs you want for jobs that pay more so you can pay down your 300K in loans and, for once in your life, NOT live paycheck to paycheck.

I'm sorry, but as someone who is about to graduate residency, I could not DISAGREE with you more. Any U.S. MD medical school will teach you what you need to know and give you the knowledge to succeed. I'd much, much rather go to a cheaper state med school and not accrue debt than be at the end of residency and have to forego the jobs you want for jobs that pay more so you can pay down your 300K in loans and, for once in your life, NOT live paycheck to paycheck.

You are free to disagree but people have different priorities. There are people who turned down full rides to go for expensive schools that simply offer a lot more opportunities pertaining to their career goals. For them, med school is an investment. If you want an accurate and unbiased recommendation, the best I can refer to is the following:

It's different for everyone and comes down to priorities. Some are happiest with the least debt, others don't mind taking more debt in exchange for other things they want out of their school. There's no single right answer here.

You are free to disagree but people have different priorities. There are people who turned down full rides to go for expensive schools that simply offer a lot more opportunities pertaining to their career goals. For them, med school is an investment. If you want an accurate and unbiased recommendation, the best I can refer to is the following:

Where are you in the process? I feel like anyone who's already in residency knows that in the vast majority of cases, any U.S. MD school will give them more or less the same opportunities pertaining to career goals. Sure, there's an outlier, but this kind of advice applies to very, very few.

Where are you in the process? I feel like anyone who's already in residency knows that in the vast majority of cases, any U.S. MD school will give them more or less the same opportunities pertaining to career goals. Sure, there's an outlier, but this kind of advice applies to very, very few.

I’m referring to those cases where people turn down their state schools or full rides at other strong schools to go to Harvard/Stanford/Hopkins etc simply because they think the school name and opportunities like research, networking, business etc. will help them in the long run. These cases are admittedly pretty rare. I know a few who turned down a full ride at UCLA to go to Harvard, which to me is insane, but to them somehow makes sense and fits with their goals.

In most other cases, money should play a major role in deciding where to attend, but still other things matter (like unranked pass/fail, location to family/SO etc).

I’m referring to those cases where people turn down their state schools or full rides at other strong schools to go to Harvard/Stanford/Hopkins etc simply because they think the school name and opportunities like research, networking, business etc. will help them in the long run. These cases are admittedly pretty rare. I know a few who turned down a full ride at UCLA to go to Harvard, which to me is insane, but to them somehow makes sense and fits with their goals.

In most other cases, money should play a major role in deciding where to attend, but still other things matter (like unranked pass/fail, location to family/SO etc).
I would never pick a school based just on unranked pass/fail, or even probably 'fit' by itself. But fit/overall happiness of students + school name (aka connections) + family...you start to get closer to a judgement call. But then again, I've never lived as spendfree and felt as financially free as I have these past few years living on a bit under $20k living expenses from loans. If I had to live on $20k for the rest of my life, I really can't think of anything I'd be missing. I had to funnel a bunch of my money to pay off preexisting debts last year, but this year I'm coming out with money to spare and am not sure what else I could even think to spend my money on.

I hate the idea and feeling of living in debt, but I will be comfortable and happy even if my loan burden pares my salary down to $20k for the rest of my life.

Just go to a kick ass good residency program

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

OP - Not sure if serious?????

Unless you come from money, you made the right decision and will realize this when you are wiser.

Med school sucks, so you will suffer no matter where you go.

Imagine as an attending having no Debt vs 300K in debt. You can party hard with no debt vs having to carry a house payment for 10+ yrs.