Why I like Thailand

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zenman

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
You walk into a pharmacy, tell the pharmacist what's wrong and get your meds.

One six pack of coke and Amoxycillin 500mg times 20 doses (just to have on hand) $7.89

One ER visit (not me) including lab and M.D. Almost $8.00

Thai Massage $5 - $8.00

Seven people for lunch...stuffed to the gills and 7 large Singhas, plus tips. $25.00

Bobtail cat wondering around in the ER...priceless. :D

Members don't see this ad.

im confused. anyway how is thailand doing, economically, socially, medically? isnt it best known as a haven for the intimacy industry? also spicy food. siam and burma are those two countries real names

concerning cheap drugs and cheap everything--its bc the East with the exception of Japan has no regard for patents. theres so much revenue US companies could have there, especially in drugs and software, probably the 2 easiest things to bootleg. as long as they dont start smuggling bootleg items here i guess its not a huge loss since the US domestic market is so strong. isnt canada trying to infiltrate the US drug market with its price controlled (as good as bootlegged in a sense) drugs? it would spell disaster for US pharma. or maybe it had to do with them selling drugs online, or US northerners venturing to canada to get their drugs. no matter what it is, its unfair arbitrage--but only a few readers here would understand all of this or care

Shredder said:
no matter what it is, its unfair arbitrage--but only a few readers here would understand all of this or care

I am under the impression that you are adocating if a senior citizen cannot afford his or her meds, then we should let them die right? I wish medicare and medicaid were the answer to the problems, but something happened a few days ago that totally blew my mind away.

How about generics in Africa? Lately some of the phamacutical companies (Bristol Myer Sq and Pfizer) have been caving in and offering drugs at discount prices, I'm talking less than $1.00. The reason for this was because of stiff generic brand competition. And to be honest, I'm glad they have low prices over there. They need it.

Members don't see this ad :)
giving away cheap meds sounds good in theory, but it can come at the cost of reducing incentives in the pharma industry, in which case everyone loses. just like abolishing patents sounds great if everyone innovates simply for the benefit of mankind, but humans dont work that way. if it happens on a small scale the pharmas can absorb it, but widespread bootlegging/IP infringement leads to big problems

Shredder said:
giving away cheap meds sounds good in theory, but it can come at the cost of reducing incentives in the pharma industry, in which case everyone loses. just like abolishing patents sounds great if everyone innovates simply for the benefit of mankind, but humans dont work that way. if it happens on a small scale the pharmas can absorb it, but widespread bootlegging/IP infringement leads to big problems

*newsflash*

Pharm industry spends more on advertising than on R&D. Your argument has been put to bed.

Try again.

Shredder said:
im confused. anyway how is thailand doing, economically, socially, medically? isnt it best known as a haven for the intimacy industry? also spicy food. siam and burma are those two countries real names

Shredder,

1) hey, let's not confuse sex and intimacy. State it as it is (which you tend to do, so I'm surprised- you don't shy away from much and are very outspoken).

2) Burma has been renamed by its miliatry coup as "Myanmar" and is not part of Thailand. Aung-Sun-Suu-Ki was the democratic leader elected by the Burmese people, won a Nobel Peace Prize in 95, and has been under house arrest for many years. The military dictatorship that took over renamed the country Myanmar. Sad, as this is a country I'd love to visit someday.

3) Most Thai food is not spicy as far as heat goes- that's an Americanization of it. Thai food is very rich in flavors, but generally not spicy, per se.

Not picking on you, Shred, just pointing some stuff out. :D

I love Thailand for its beaches and the southern islands. I fully intend to go hang out there for a short piece of time before medical school. Spinning poi or fire poi at a full moon party is one of the coolest experiences ever. Thailand is awesome. :thumbup:

Reactions: 1 user
zenman what city in thailand did you go to because i thought the tourist destinations would have more expensive prices

giving away cheap meds sounds good in theory, but it can come at the cost of reducing incentives in the pharma industry, in which case everyone loses.
$8 sounds cheap to you but may not be cheap to them. It's all relative based on what consumers can barely afford.

US physicians are in demand in Thailand as their medical industry booms. I could see a huge opportunity on have ED&IPC clinics in Pattaya, Phuket or Bangkok for sure. Not necessarily only talking about the sex industry. There are tons of older couples going there as well who doesn't need it.

I know what many may thing about this (NPR), but the article has lots of factual components to it. The bottom line is that you will soon enough find direct recruitment ads for US-trained docs to come here and work. Salaries may STILL not be at US level, but cost of living, lifestyle and ease of reimbursement is such that this is bound to attract more people than currently.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=16735157

And yes, Thailand is a paradise for a single man from the West indeed. Great food, weather, people, waters and physicians feel appreciated, not despised.

Last edited:
I've never been to Thailand, but now I want to go even more!