Why I think step 2cs sucks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nofear

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got this from another site...

I'm an SP and have to admit that if I recognize that an Examinee is familiar with my particular case, I get more than a little PO'ed.

This past week an Examinee asked me about the "stabbing" pain that I've been having, before I even mentioned having a stabbing pain! How original...and it infuriates me.

More and more I notice arrogance and blatent cheater's employing no effort to reveal their intimate knowledge of my case. Once I realize that an Examinee knows more than he found out regarding my case than I've revealed, I'm looking for any/all errors than I can to score them down. Some questions have been asked me, that could NEVER have been known or guessed so acurately once let alone multiple times in a row, without previous knowledge of my case. Such behavior reveals the lack of integrity that a particular examinee has, when using this method in the exam.

As far as I'm concerned, if you'll cheat on this exam, I don't want you practising medicine on anyone that I love.

If you don't like people breaking into your personal space when talking to you, why would you do it to an SP during an encounter? Have some couthe, back-up a little and use some mouth-wash. Some don't see the forest through the trees!
...................................................................................................
That sucks to know these are the people that grade us on our exam, and they have a hand in our future. I am taking the cs next week, i hope i dont run into this person...

Members don't see this ad.

Which site did you get that from? Does this person seriously think people are cheating, or just asking very specifice questions because they were tipped off by buzzwords.

So much for "standardized" patients, looks like they are making more of an effort to fail people they don't like.

And we pay good money to have an arrogant jerk like that grade us? I hope that I never run into him in my office!

Step 2 CS is an insult to every MD & DO program that exists (do DO students have to take this ludicrous exam?) .

While I can understand the rationale for requiring IMG's & FMG's to take this exam, I think overall this test is a bunch of bull. It is an insult to me, all of my clinical professors (including the IMG & FMG's who have practiced here long enough to be my attendings- I'm not trying to start a flame war, I'm just making a point here) and my home institution.

If by the end of 4th year one cannot do an H&P, interview a pt, write a note and make a plan, one should not graduate. Why we all have to go prove it somewere else is a huge mystery to me, and an insult to my school. It is a big money making scam-olama.

Members don't see this ad :)
Step 2 CS is an insult to every MD & DO program that exists (do DO students have to take this ludicrous exam?) .

While I can understand the rationale for requiring IMG's & FMG's to take this exam, I think overall this test is a bunch of bull. It is an insult to me, all of my clinical professors (including the IMG & FMG's who have practiced here long enough to be my attendings- I'm not trying to start a flame war, I'm just making a point here) and my home institution.

If by the end of 4th year one cannot do an H&P, interview a pt, write a note and make a plan, one should not graduate. Why we all have to go prove it somewere else is a huge mystery to me, and an insult to my school. It is a big money making scam-olama.

I completely agree.

http://www.valuemd.com/usmle-step-2...-most-common-errors-made-usmle-step2cs-2.html

I got it from Valuemd site...

yah its the biggest bull crap ever, I have to worry now that I go in there and the person might think just because I ask a question I know the case...and then thats it...and these sp's all talk to each other...i dont know i cant believe the medical association or whom ever allows bunch of non medical educated people decide what i know or dont know about interviewing...its bull----...i am so pissed...1000 dollars plus hotel and airplane for what...

Oh yeah and I wanted to contact the usmle site and send them this ****, so that they know first hand what is going on with their sp's..i feel bad for anyone who maybe have not passed the test because they got a bunch of freakin looser sp's who thought they might have known something about the case and marked them down...what a bunch of crap....

I got this from another site...

I'm an SP and have to admit that if I recognize that an Examinee is familiar with my particular case, I get more than a little PO'ed.

This past week an Examinee asked me about the "stabbing" pain that I've been having, before I even mentioned having a stabbing pain! How original...and it infuriates me.

More and more I notice arrogance and blatent cheater's employing no effort to reveal their intimate knowledge of my case. Once I realize that an Examinee knows more than he found out regarding my case than I've revealed, I'm looking for any/all errors than I can to score them down. Some questions have been asked me, that could NEVER have been known or guessed so acurately once let alone multiple times in a row, without previous knowledge of my case. Such behavior reveals the lack of integrity that a particular examinee has, when using this method in the exam.

As far as I'm concerned, if you'll cheat on this exam, I don't want you practising medicine on anyone that I love.

If you don't like people breaking into your personal space when talking to you, why would you do it to an SP during an encounter? Have some couthe, back-up a little and use some mouth-wash. Some don't see the forest through the trees!
...................................................................................................
That sucks to know these are the people that grade us on our exam, and they have a hand in our future. I am taking the cs next week, i hope i dont run into this person...

:barf:

That seriously disturbs me. What's to stop an SP from calling someone a cheater who actually just has good clinical intuition?

I've taken that test, and there was at least one encounter where the SP's opening words bumped a fairly rare condition up to about an 80% certainty. It would seriously piss me off if the guy thought I was cheating, just because my first question was directed toward that disease.

\
Oh yeah and I wanted to contact the usmle site and send them this ****, so that they know first hand what is going on with their sp's..i feel bad for anyone who maybe have not passed the test because they got a bunch of freakin looser sp's who thought they might have known something about the case and marked them down...what a bunch of crap....

This seriously needs to be reported... first of all how easy is it to cheat? Most cases are bread and butter, all of mine were. And I doubt they use the rare ones over and over again. You would probably have to know somebody the day you are taking the test and ask them about a case they just had which if you have taken the exam would know its pretty difficult with all the security they have. I agree that its probably easier for a good student to recognize something rare than for you to have cheated and gotten info about a patient. It pisses me off that standardized patients think they know when we are cheating when they dont even know what we learn in medical school. Anybody else think its unfair that non-MD's are grading a clinical skills national board certifying exam for future MD's?

This is f'ing ridiculous...we have SPs at my school and we go through this every time we have sessions with them. My argument has always been that if someone with a few hours of training is now an expert on a skill set that most clinicians spend an entire life time developing and fine tuning, at least enough to grade them and decide whether they will become physicians or not, what the **** am I spending $150,000 and 4 years of my life in medical school for?

licensing exams are big money makers, money drives policy in every industry, why not medicine? it is sad but as always the bottom line rules the world. We are just pawns in the big scheme of things. I do think that in the future the CS and PE will be made obsolete. I know that in Neurology, the oral exam has been suspended from the board certification process, as it is very subjective and difficult to standardize.

cheers.

I agree with you...its unbelivable that i have to pay the goverment 200,000 and these people are still trying to make money from us....and it is supposed to be such a noble profession...I mean what is noble about taking money from us and then at the other end of it, have someone who has no ----- education whatsoever THINK you are cheating because you have studied your ass off for some stupid test...

licensing exams are big money makers, money drives policy in every industry, why not medicine? it is sad but as always the bottom line rules the world. We are just pawns in the big scheme of things. I do think that in the future the CS and PE will be made obsolete. I know that in Neurology, the oral exam has been suspended from the board certification process, as it is very subjective and difficult to standardize.

cheers.