why I want to be a D.O

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HussainGQ

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think a good reason for me to become a D.O is that I want to get into sports/rehab medicine; I would be able to treat my patients more effectively since D.Os are specially trained to treat medical conditions from a musculoskeletal perpective, and because of my better understanding of these two systems.

Is that something that an admissions committee would be impressed with??I know Osteopathy in general is primarily focused on primary care, and not specialization. An MD told me that do not even tell a medical school admissions committee that your plans to specialize, because they will think all that you care about is making money. However, I am interested in mainly working with high school athletes, because I got injured many times playing basketball(both my knees operated on), and that is why I want to go into sports medicine. But should I sitll look deeper into my reasonings of becoming a D.O

I am also intrigued by the philolophy of treatment of the whole body, not just they symptoms of the disease,and since all the systems are interconnected, an ailment in one area of the body is usually due an ailment in another region.

Members don't see this ad.

They don't blow off people who want to specialize, even though they'd prefer primary care. Since sports medicine can be a subspecialty of family med, this should even be less of an issue. I think what you said would go over well, although you may want to mention OMM specifically.