Why in my last semester? Should I drop...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OroPharmD2b

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Advice please,

I went back to full time school after about eight years of being out of school. This time i came back with new determination and got all A's in my classes. My science GPA is 3.85 and over all GPA is 3.7. Took the PCAT and scored 84. Now i am in a very tough situation. I am taking Genetics and Molecular Bio class. So far we have taken two exams and I am in mid C's range. I don't mind getting a B but that chance is bleak. Now should i drop get W and take it in the spring or stuck it out and get a C? Since I am applying for next fall I figured it will look bad on my otherwise improving acadamic performance.

I appreciate you input.

Members don't see this ad.

Advice please,

I went back to full time school after about eight years of being out of school. This time i came back with new determination and got all A's in my classes. My science GPA is 3.85 and over all GPA is 3.7. Took the PCAT and scored 84. Now i am in a very tough situation. I am taking Genetics and Molecular Bio class. So far we have taken two exams and I am in mid C's range. I don't mind getting a B but that chance is bleak. Now should i drop get W and take it in the spring or stuck it out and get a C? Since I am applying for next fall I figured it will look bad on my otherwise improving acadamic performance.

I appreciate you input.

I don't think you should drop it. Dropping classes gives that illusion that you don't finish tasks that you start. Work hard, get the grade and don't worry about it.

I agree with Sparda. These two classes will minimally affect your overall GPA. Stick it out. W's do not look good on the transcript. With your stats, I dont think youll have a problem getting into pharm school with two measley C's.

Members don't see this ad :)
Even a C would not drastically hurt your GPA from 3.85/3.7 and further, your performance on the PCAT demonstrates a great work ethic and speaks to your competency.

Stick it out - You never know, you might get a B.

With your transcript being so sterling right now I think it's in your best interest to avoid the W. Were I in your position, I'd rather the C than the W.

Advice please,

I appreciate you input.

If it somehow delays your application then don't drop it, otherwise, I would drop it.

First of all, a C is not a pretty grade, a B is manageable. A W is not a grade at all, one W dosen't tell anyone anything.

A lot of Ws (more than 2) is when it starts to say something.

At the end of the day, the C does damage but the W is something you can talk yourself out of when it comes to the interview.

Only thing is, when you re-take the class, you better get an A.

I would like to stress the fact that one C is not the end of the world. I would continue and finish the course. Do your best. I know exactly how you feel. The adcoms are not going to see the C and stamp your forehead with rejection. At this point... it being your last year and your GPA being so high, you will be just fine.