Quantcast

Why is Canadian schools so hard to get into?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

c_zhan

New Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2006
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Members don't see this ad.
Can you guys give me some reasons? 1 of my friends (seniors) gave up and the other went to UK to pursue medical career.
 

DropkickMurphy

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2005
Messages
9,729
Reaction score
25
They are especially hard to get into for those who apparently were out sick (or truant, take your pick) the day the teacher went over the proper conjugation of irregular verbs, the use of indefinite articles, and basic sentence structure. :smuggrin:
 

durfen

I see plans within plans
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2006
Messages
1,650
Reaction score
1
c_zhan said:
Can you guys give me some reasons? 1 of my friends (seniors) gave up and the other went to UK to pursue medical career.

Because they want people who use the word 'are'. Even Harvard accepts some applicants like these.

Sorry couldn't resist
 

DrHusky

Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2006
Messages
78
Reaction score
0
DropkickMurphy said:
They are especially hard to get into for those who apparently were out sick (or truant, take your pick) the day the teacher went over the proper conjugation of irregular verbs, the use of indefinite articles, and basic sentence structure. :smuggrin:

Harsh, but warranted. :laugh:
 

tiger_lily

Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
May 17, 2006
Messages
92
Reaction score
1
There are only 17 Canadian schools in total, and they are all good schools... so imagine it sort of like trying to get into the "Top 15" US schools. Granted we have a much smaller population base, but there are only 17 schools in total! I know we had over 1700 applicants at UBC, for only 224 spaces. Plus, it's extremely difficult to get into most schools outside of your own province, and many provinces have only one school (all but Ontario, Quebec and Alberta, I think?).
So, there are a lot of applicants competing for very few spaces, which is why it's difficult. BUT, it's definitely not impossible, even with some low scores. Each school varies, but I know UBC puts quite an emphasis on extracurriculars, so if you do HUGE amounts of volunteering and have really interesting life experiences, it's possible to overcome lower GPAs or MCAT scores. Hope this helped :)
 

braluk

SDN Surgerynator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2006
Messages
11,823
Reaction score
68
because their prerequisite, in addition to the core sciences, is moose hunting, something save for a few, really aren't well versed in.

Glad i could help
-B
 
8

8744

Why are Canadian medical schools so hard to get into?

Simple. Like most other third world countries, in Canada you have to either know someone in the government or bribe somebody in the Ministry of Health to get accepted.

Glad I could help.

P. Bear, MD
Emergency Medicine Resident
Actually Living Quite Close to Canada
 

Jocks

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2005
Messages
153
Reaction score
0
Panda Bear said:
Why are Canadian medical schools so hard to get into?

Simple. Like most other third world countries, in Canada you have to either know someone in the government or bribe somebody in the Ministry of Health to get accepted.

Glad I could help.

P. Bear, MD
Emergency Medicine Resident
Actually Living Quite Close to Canada

Panda: less posting, more blogging!
 

boulux

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
149
Reaction score
0
Panda Bear said:
Why are Canadian medical schools so hard to get into?

Simple. Like most other third world countries, in Canada you have to either know someone in the government or bribe somebody in the Ministry of Health to get accepted.

Glad I could help.

P. Bear, MD
Emergency Medicine Resident
Actually Living Quite Close to Canada

good advise.
 

tiger_lily

Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
May 17, 2006
Messages
92
Reaction score
1
braluk said:
because their prerequisite, in addition to the core sciences, is moose hunting, something save for a few, really aren't well versed in.

Glad i could help
-B

If you can properly skin a seal and make a sturdy pair of mukluks, AND you've spent some time (say, roughly 18 years) volunteering in Tuktuyaktuk, AND you're willing to part with your family's secret recipe for perfect poutine, you can sometimes get by without the moose hunting prerequisite (though some would consider the poutine recipe a bribe worth a bag of milk's weight in gold, so perhaps Panda is right after all).

Besides, if you don't like these rules, you're a hoser. Take off, eh?
 
Members don't see this ad :)

megaman1x

Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
May 20, 2006
Messages
98
Reaction score
0
tiger_lily is right. Only 17 med schools here. Granted our population is MUCH smaller, but still....only 17 med schools here and it's quite competitive. Here in Manitoba, 750 people applied and there are only 100 spots. Not the greatest odds. Fortunately I was offered a spot.

Anyways, yeah it's quite hard to get into Canadian schools. Especially if you are not even Canadian. Many schools in Canada don't even accept non-Canadians. U of T does for sure, I know that. But there are quite a few that don't. And on top of that, others have very few dedicated spots for out of province students. Manitoba for example takes 10 out of province students. Leaving 90 seats for Manitobans.
 

jojo_1981

Circus Monkey
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
May 15, 2006
Messages
77
Reaction score
0
tiger_lily said:
There are only 17 Canadian schools in total, and they are all good schools... so imagine it sort of like trying to get into the "Top 15" US schools. Granted we have a much smaller population base, but there are only 17 schools in total! I know we had over 1700 applicants at UBC, for only 224 spaces. Plus, it's extremely difficult to get into most schools outside of your own province, and many provinces have only one school (all but Ontario, Quebec and Alberta, I think?).
So, there are a lot of applicants competing for very few spaces, which is why it's difficult. BUT, it's definitely not impossible, even with some low scores.

sorry, i don't buy that argument. just did a little number crunching:

population of canada = 35 million
population of USA = 295 million

35/295 = 11.9 ---> so canada has about 12% of the population of the USA.

number of canadian med schools = 17
number of US med schools = 125 (from AAMC)

17/125 = 13.6

so, by the looks of things, it should be slightly EASIER to get into canadian med schools, not harder.

not to put down canada or their med schools, i'm just sayin'...
 

megaman1x

Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
May 20, 2006
Messages
98
Reaction score
0
jojo_1981 said:
sorry, i don't buy that argument. just did a little number crunching:

population of canada = 35 million
population of USA = 295 million

35/295 = 11.9 ---> so canada has about 12% of the population of the USA.

number of canadian med schools = 17
number of US med schools = 125 (from AAMC)

17/125 = 13.6

so, by the looks of things, it should be slightly EASIER to get into canadian med schools, not harder.

not to put down canada or their med schools, i'm just sayin'...

Thats not really a fair analysis at all. For one thing you are assuming that the population distribution between the two countries is identical. Meaning that percentage wise Canada has the exact same amount of undergrad's going for med as the US does.

Also for that matter, you are assuming class sizes are the same between Canadian and US med schools. In Manitoba, we have 100 seats. In Saskatchwan we have about 65 seats I think. What is the avg class size in the US?

Your numbers are superficial and you cannot get much info from them.
 

rup47

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2006
Messages
237
Reaction score
0
tiger_lily said:
There are only 17 Canadian schools in total, and they are all good schools... so imagine it sort of like trying to get into the "Top 15" US schools. Granted we have a much smaller population base, but there are only 17 schools in total! I know we had over 1700 applicants at UBC, for only 224 spaces. Plus, it's extremely difficult to get into most schools outside of your own province, and many provinces have only one school (all but Ontario, Quebec and Alberta, I think?).
So, there are a lot of applicants competing for very few spaces, which is why it's difficult. BUT, it's definitely not impossible, even with some low scores. Each school varies, but I know UBC puts quite an emphasis on extracurriculars, so if you do HUGE amounts of volunteering and have really interesting life experiences, it's possible to overcome lower GPAs or MCAT scores. Hope this helped :)

Most US schools get between 5000 and 10000 applicants for a class size between 100 and 200 spots, so those numbers would imply canadian school are easier to get into compared to US schools. But that does not take in to account the stats of the applicants. But I have heard candian schools are pretty tough to get into

Maybe it really is because you have to be a skilled moose hunter. I wonder if canadian adcoms frown upon reindeer hunting..... :confused:
 

aung

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2005
Messages
101
Reaction score
0
jojo_1981 said:
sorry, i don't buy that argument. just did a little number crunching:

population of canada = 35 million
population of USA = 295 million

35/295 = 11.9 ---> so canada has about 12% of the population of the USA.

number of canadian med schools = 17
number of US med schools = 125 (from AAMC)

17/125 = 13.6

so, by the looks of things, it should be slightly EASIER to get into canadian med schools, not harder.

not to put down canada or their med schools, i'm just sayin'...


You forgot to factor in the number of Americans who apply to the Canadian schools and vice versa. However, I'm not sure how big of a factor this is so it might not even matter anyway.
 

DORK7

Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
May 4, 2006
Messages
46
Reaction score
0
It's not that simple....there are alot of other factors that go into it. I personally know at least 5 Canadian students who got accepted into 3 or more schools in US yet they werent even interviewed in any Canadian schools..


jojo_1981 said:
sorry, i don't buy that argument. just did a little number crunching:

population of canada = 35 million
population of USA = 295 million

35/295 = 11.9 ---> so canada has about 12% of the population of the USA.

number of canadian med schools = 17
number of US med schools = 125 (from AAMC)

17/125 = 13.6

so, by the looks of things, it should be slightly EASIER to get into canadian med schools, not harder.

not to put down canada or their med schools, i'm just sayin'...
 

DORK7

Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
May 4, 2006
Messages
46
Reaction score
0
hahaha...u bastard stereotypical Americans

rup47 said:
Most US schools get between 5000 and 10000 applicants for a class size between 100 and 200 spots, so those numbers would imply canadian school are easier to get into compared to US schools. But that does not take in to account the stats of the applicants. But I have heard candian schools are pretty tough to get into

Maybe it really is because you have to be a skilled moose hunter. I wonder if canadian adcoms frown upon reindeer hunting..... :confused:
 

DORK7

Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
May 4, 2006
Messages
46
Reaction score
0
For most of the Canadian schools you need a min GPA of 3.7 and 30 MCAT to be considered as somewhat competitive. From personal experience I would say Canadian schools care alot about GPA while MCAT seems to be more important for American schools.


rup47 said:
Most US schools get between 5000 and 10000 applicants for a class size between 100 and 200 spots, so those numbers would imply canadian school are easier to get into compared to US schools. But that does not take in to account the stats of the applicants. But I have heard candian schools are pretty tough to get into

Maybe it really is because you have to be a skilled moose hunter. I wonder if canadian adcoms frown upon reindeer hunting..... :confused:
 

cdngirl80

Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 27, 2006
Messages
79
Reaction score
0
I think the other thing is that US schools are willing to give someone who has a low GPA/high MCAT or vice versa a shot at an interview if other things in their application makes them stand out whereas Canadian schools will write you off if you don't meet their GPA/MCAT cutoffs.
 
Top