Why is cardiology on the low end in terms of lifestyle & happiness??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prince_211

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm only a medical student so i have a few questions about some medical specialties. I hope someone would help me out and answer these questions.

1) According to medscape report 2019, cardiologist were on the low end of the scale in terms of lifestyle & happiness for the 2nd time in a row. Why do you think that is???

2) And why they didn't include neurosurgeons in the report????

3) Do interventional cardiologist really have higher risk of cancer, Cataracts and aging due to radiation? is it true and do you think it's worth it???

4) is it true that interventional Cardiologists make allot of money?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
1) they have no life
2) they have such no life that they couldn’t even be found to complete the survey
3) radiation is bad
4) yes, money for their spouses to spend

• Haha
Reactions: 15 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm only a medical student so i have a few questions about some medical specialties. I hope someone would help me out and answer these questions.

1) According to medscape report 2019, cardiologist were on the low end of the scale in terms of lifestyle & happiness for the 2nd time in a row. Why do you think that is???

2) And why they didn't include neurosurgeons in the report????

3) Do interventional cardiologist really have higher risk of cancer, Cataracts and aging due to radiation? is it true and do you think it's worth it???

4) is it true that interventional Cardiologists make allot of money?

Cardiology has a busy lifestyle even as an attending. Very high volume. Remember number one cause for ER visits is chest pain. ER consults cardiology on most of these patients to pass on liability. That’s why many ERs have chest pain centers given the sheer volume of patients.

Cardiology makes good money but they are made to work very hard for that money but it’s very gratifying. Not many specialities where a patient is coming in on the verge of death and you intervene and they get to walk out of the hospital in 2 days. It’s also one of the fields that is very evidence-based—a lot of high level research. Great mix of physiology, pathology, imaging, critical care and procedures, outpatient and inpatient settings.

The long training and culture can wear down on people over time—a lot of type A aggressive personalities and interventional can have a surgery like culture—almost frat like culture. Historically it’s been a male dominated field but the field has made some good advances in recruiting more females.

Reactions: 2 users
1) they have no life
2) they have such no life that they couldn’t even be found to complete the survey
3) radiation is bad
4) yes, money for their spouses to spend

4.) and alimony due to #1

Reactions: 4 users
The negatives of both surgery and IM but not the benefit of operating. Sounds just splendid... not.

Reactions: 7 users
Because when most people decide to have an MI, it’s not 9am on a Wednesday.

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
NSG has a small sample size, and they have their own reports that they negotiate off of

Are GI and heme/onc in a similar boat?

Are GI and heme/onc in a similar boat?
They’ve got better life styles but especially for Gi you can work very hard and stack that dolla

Reactions: 1 users