j

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goonsquad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Probably because they don't want you to waste your time taking it so many times. This is for the applicant's sake more than it is for the DAT guys. Just look at the link sjv posted; it shows that scores barely change even after a retake. But sure, there are plenty of people just on SDN who do really well on retakes; usually on the 2nd retake, rarely on the 3rd, and never on the 4th. I mean, if you take your DAT four times and you still need to take it the 5th time, schools probably know pretty well where your aptitude stands. If you take the DAT for the fifth time, that's like a 12 months span at the earliest (3 months in between each); at that point, they might as well just look at your GPA.

Besides... Even for MCAT, taking it an unlimited number of times is the official policy. But some schools might even have limits they set for their own school (like it was for SAT. anymore than 3 just hurts your chances)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Right, the data posted suggests that the scores do not tend to increase with retakes but the question as to why there is a limit in the first place is still there. I guess that's their reasoning for it, but can you still expect this trend to exist for MCAT retakes too? If so, there is still no limit placed on MCAT takers.

Probably because they don't want you to waste your time taking it so many times. This is for the applicant's sake more than it is for the DAT guys. Just look at the link sjv posted; it shows that scores barely change even after a retake. But sure, there are plenty of people just on SDN who do really well on retakes I mean, if you take your DAT four times and you still need to take it the 5th time, schools probably know pretty well where your aptitude stands. If you take the DAT for the fifth time, that's like a 12 months span at the earliest (3 months in between each); at that point, they might as well just look at your GPA.

Besides... Even for MCAT, taking it an unlimited number of times is the official policy. But some schools might even have limits they set for their own school (like it was for SAT. anymore than 3 just hurts your chances)

Good points.

This has no relevance to my question

Actually it does, the most recent data shows minimal improvement for people who retake. The limit exists because beyond 3 tries, substantial improvement is unlikely.

The average gain was about one-third standard score point greater for those who participated in a preparation or review course beyond the gains shown for non-participants. For example, the gain in the academic average for non-participants was 0.81, and the gain for participants was 1.10 standard score points. Of the 2,050 examinees, 561 participated in a course of some kind. While these gains are statistically significant, their significance may not be practical.

I think they are nicely saying that if you can't hack the DAT on the 3rd try... You also probably can't hack dental school.

Reactions: 1 user
Also, you can take the DAT more than 3 times if you meet any of the requirements:

Acceptable forms of evidence include the following (you need submit only one):
Copy of a completed and submitted ADEA AADSAS application
Letter of rejection from a dental school
Letter on school letterhead from a dental school admissions officer encouraging you to
retest
Letter on school letterhead from a college/university health profession advisor/instructor
verifying that you are applying to dental school

Also, you can take the DAT more than 3 times if you meet any of the requirements:
Well there you go. It also says, "Upon approval, you will be permitted to retake the DAT once per twelve-month period.
The results of the four most recent DATs taken, as well as the total number of DATs taken, are
released on the official score reports."
That actually sounds like unlimited to me.

I think they are nicely saying that if you can't hack the DAT on the 3rd try... You also probably can't hack dental school.
Well, I will try poking a good fun at Glimmer this time; I took the DAT 5 times (yes, 5 times), in which I had to send in my rejection letters from schools twice to the ADA to make myself eligible for the retakes. I will try to "hack" dental school this time around coming fall. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Well, I will try poking a good fun at Glimmer this time; I took the DAT 5 times (yes, 5 times), in which I had to send in my rejection letters from schools twice to the ADA to make myself eligible for the retakes. I will try to "hack" dental school this time around coming fall. :)

There is always the exception!! :)

Possibly because dental school deans are baseball aficionados.

Reactions: 3 users
honestly why does it matter if there is a limit or not...