why is dental school so expensive?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by hopefully, Jun 3, 2002.

1. hopefully

hopefully Member

Just from the research I've done, it seems as though dental education is one of the most, if not the most expensive education to attain compared to other areas in graduate or professional schools. Is this because of the dental equipment schools need to maintain for the students? Also, I've read that the number of applicants to dental schools have gone down, but it seems to me GPA and DAT stats of incoming students are rising. Just curious to hear what you all think.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DesiDentist

DesiDentist G. S. Khurana, DMD, MBA
    Moderator Emeritus Exhibitor

Dentist
    Dental school is expensive because they know we can make the money back rather fast. Yes, equipment is a huge financial burden. Educating a dentist is more expensive than a physician. yes, the applicant pool is decreasing and stats are rising becuse dentistry is becoming more competitve and everyone knows it. So those people who aren't motivated or have low stats end up not applying due to rising costs and other factors. Hope this helps.

DesiDentist