Why is dental school tuition so expensive in the US? Is it this costly in other countries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acvdental937

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering if dental tuition is expensive everywhere or if it's only this high in America

Members don't see this ad.

In Mexico you start your dental degree out of high school and it’s 3 years and it’s free (paid by govt). Would I let one in my own mouth? No

Reactions: 1 user
Let’s see if that Biden can bring down costs :horns:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Let’s see that Biden can bring down costs :horns:
My tuition went up 12% this year largely due to pandemic related closures and expenses. What exactly has Trump done to lower dental school cost again?

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
My tuition went up 12% this year largely due to pandemic related closures and expenses. What exactly has Trump done to lower dental school cost again?
I see you insinuating that I am a trump supporter. But didn’t trump receive criticism over shutdowns and wanting to reopen the economy? I think everything has been misamanaged but I don’t necessarily think it would have been much different if Hillary or Biden were in power at that point in time.. the whole argument “this never would have happened if Biden was the president,” is a little ridiculous to me because we will never know and there is now way to predict something like that. Maybe it would, maybe it wouldn’t.. Which school do you attend?

dentistry is one of the most expensive educations regardless of where you're from, that being said it is significantly more expensive in the US. Many people from Canada opt to go to Ireland or Australia over the US for dental school (AUS, Ireland and US are all accredited in Canada) because it is cheaper than the United States. Pretty interesting to see

I've come to the unfortunate realization that the only thing that's going to lower the prices is when students decide to stop attending these ridiculously priced schools, which could be years from now. It's clear the government, regardless of who is in charge, will do nothing to stop it.

Reactions: 5 users
I've come to the unfortunate realization that the only thing that's going to lower the prices is when students decide to stop attending these ridiculously priced schools, which could be years from now. It's clear the government, regardless of who is in charge, will do nothing to stop it.
Big facts

Because they can. Money most likely go to administration.

Dental school staff want a piece of the millions dentists will be making once in practice. Kind of like a fee for a real estate/business transaction. States have been distancing themselves from subsidizing higher education. Add to that the cost of infrastructure, instrumentation and technology required in the clinics and we have the making of the perfect storm.

The astronomical rise in tuition in all higher educational institutions is due primarily to the increase in administrative personnel.

They are selling you a pig-in-a-poke.

They keep charging more and classes still get filled up without a problem.