Why is derm so competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheMightyAngus

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Aside from the advantages of having day hours and no call, why do so many people want to go into derm? Is there more to the specialty or am I answering my own question? Not many kids growing up dreaming of examining melanomas and treating rashes so why such an interest in med students?

Members don't see this ad.

B/c lots of med students value lifestyle. Nothing really wrong with that I suppose. Anyways, Derm is competitive for lots of reasons. Great hours. Great money. A lot of cosmetic Derm is cash only. Chill residency. Most Derm residents work < 45 hrs/wk. Few emergencies. The only derm emergency I can think of is Stevens-Johnson/Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis. Huge demand for your services. Number of derm spots is kept artificially low to maintain demand and of course, salaries. Personally, I find it boring, but to each his own. And of course, if you match into derm, ppl know you're da ****.

i have big teets and diky too! haha! :p

Members don't see this ad :)
There are very, very few derm residency positions every year. This also contributes to the competitiveness. Demand without supply.

MD2b06 said:
B/c lots of med students value lifestyle. Nothing really wrong with that I suppose. Anyways, Derm is competitive for lots of reasons. Great hours. Great money. A lot of cosmetic Derm is cash only. Chill residency. Most Derm residents work < 45 hrs/wk. Few emergencies. The only derm emergency I can think of is Stevens-Johnson/Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis. Huge demand for your services. Number of derm spots is kept artificially low to maintain demand and of course, salaries. Personally, I find it boring, but to each his own. And of course, if you match into derm, ppl know you're da ****.

Hi there,
The Burn Surgeons get the SJ/TEN patients. Virtually no emergencies for Derm. Lifestyle is very, very good along with pay for Derm which makes it more attractive after four years of medical school.

I have never been much of lifestyle person in medicine. I found out early during third year that I hated all of the lifestyle specialties and tended to gravitate toward surgery. Ended up in General Surgery and headed for a fellowship in Vascular (again, no great lifestyle)with some of the most interesting cases around. I really love what I do.
njbmd :D

njbmd said:
Hi there,
The Burn Surgeons get the SJ/TEN patients. Virtually no emergencies for Derm. Lifestyle is very, very good along with pay for Derm which makes it more attractive after four years of medical school.

I have never been much of lifestyle person in medicine. I found out early during third year that I hated all of the lifestyle specialties and tended to gravitate toward surgery. Ended up in General Surgery and headed for a fellowship in Vascular (again, no great lifestyle)with some of the most interesting cases around. I really love what I do.

Yeah... I suppose it makes sense that the Burn Surgeons would get the SJ/TEN patients. Most derms probably don't do any inpatient medicine.

I've never been much of a lifestyle person either. I'd rather work longer hours
and love what I do. Not saying that people in lifestyle fields don't love what they do. All I know is that if your average Derm made 120K working 60 hrs/wk.. and taking q4 call...I can guarantee Derm would be an easy field to match into. If people can find a field that they both love and has a great lifestyle in terms of hours, etc, then by all means go for it. Glad you love vascular. I'm planning on doing medicine, cardiology, then an interventional cardiology fellowship. Training will be long, and life will be busy, but I'll get to do what I truly love.

njbmd said:

Nice! I also know I couldn't do rads, derm, gas, etc. in med school - just not for me. Give me a brutal G Surg residency any day.

njbmd said:
I really love what I do. njbmd :D

Ah, I am with you NJB. Nothing like coming home after a long, hard day tired but HAPPY! ;)