why is energy released in an ionic bond?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobbybrown

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why is energy release when na+ and cl- (for example) form an ionic bond?

apparently 500 kj/mole is released when Na+ ionic bonds with Cl- an that energy is essential to make the overall process exothermic enough to remove the electron from Na. But I'm not sure where that energy is coming from.
Is it possible that because two entities become one, that will decrease entropy or does it have to do with the charge? (Like the same reason electrons release energy when become more stable) (because the (-) electron is closer to the (+) protons.)
I dont know. Please provide detailed answer

Members don't see this ad.

Why is energy release when na+ and cl- (for example) form an ionic bond?

apparently 500 kj/mole is released when Na+ ionic bonds with Cl- an that energy is essential to make the overall process exothermic enough to remove the electron from Na. But I'm not sure where that energy is coming from.
Is it possible that because two entities become one, that will decrease entropy or does it have to do with the charge? (Like the same reason electrons release energy when become more stable) (because the (-) electron is closer to the (+) protons.)
I dont know. Please provide detailed answer

1. A bond needs two electrons to form. Each boned atoms donate one electrons.

2. The energy between electron and nuclei is negative and called chemical potential energy (electrostatic). Thinking of forming a bond as a dynamic process. When the donated electron and nuclei are getting closer, the engery between them is becoming less since it is negative. Just like the electron-nuclei system is doing the work on the surroundings which transferring the energy out of the sytem since work needs to be done to seperate them (attractive force) and energy is tranferring into the sytem (breaking a bond). During this process, the chemical potential energy is released.

3. It is obvious that when energy released, the electron-nuclei system is more stable accoding to the second law of thermodynamics.

hope it makes sense. thanks

Last edited: