Why is Everyone So Concerned with the FAFSA right now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MiamiMarmot

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I thought we could wait until March-April when we know where we're going, before we fill out the FAFSA. Am I wrong? I don't want to be late in filing the thing!

Members don't see this ad.

You should file now. By the time some of us find out where we're going, it could be too late to be considered for some types of aid.

For me personally, what schools are offering me in terms of aid/scholarships might sway me toward one school. That's why in my opinion you should fill out the FAFSA ASAP for all of the schools that you are considering.

Members don't see this ad :)
MiamiMarmot,
You should really check individual schools. Some schools, for example Emory, have deadlines as early as February 15th. Others are March 1st and March 15th, while others, like Northwestern, have no deadline. Either way, to cover all your bases you should check and turn in the Fafsa early. I turned mine in yesterday, and it has already been processed and sent to all my schools (AAMC take heed). Good luck, it requires tax info for both you and your parents.

are you guys filling it out online or on paper? Why don't premed deans tell us about these things!!

Definitely on-line. But you need to request a PIN, which takes a few days to get. Otherwise you'll have to print out and send in the signature form.

Oh, and see my latest post on the <a href="http://www.studentdoctor.net/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=008025" target="_blank">Everyone: list your schools' FAFSA codes here!!</a> thread for some info that will make your life a whole lot easier re FAFSA and financial aid in general. :D

thanks smw....is the website fafsa.org? what do you click on? I feel like I'm so behind....much like the application process :wink:

Online is the only way to go. Easier and faster! :D

Same here dukeblue01, I did my taxes at Jackson-Hewett over the weekend, so I did my online last night and today, my school already has it! AMCAS should be ASHAMED! Anyway, I know at my school (South Alabama), they start financial aid packages on March 1st, which is also the first come, first served scholarships. So get your butts in gear if you haven't already!

Good deal lamyers1. It works so fast!! I am ready to receive my "you may borrow the full amount" financial aid packet from MCV (or UVA, Northwestern if they accept me). I hope I get some money, but I feel like soon I will just be mortgaging my future for 38.5K a year. Good luck.

So, is it ok to file for schools that I have not been accepted at yet?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Doctor Foxy:
•thanks smw....is the website fafsa.org? what do you click on? I feel like I'm so behind....much like the application process :wink: •••••It's <a href="http://www.fafsa.ed.gov" target="_blank">www.fafsa.ed.gov</a>

Do a search for recent SDN FAFSA threads. You'll be up to speed in no time. I wouldn't have known to get on it, except my state school sent me information, even though I haven't even interviewed, much less been accepted yet.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by jiffy boy:
•So, is it ok to file for schools that I have not been accepted at yet?•••••Yes.

Members don't see this ad :)
It know it is really easy to file for 6 schools, but passed that I don't really know (You have to do something special). I filed for the acceptance I am still holding (declined the other acceptances) and five schools I am waiting on. I have only interviewed at 3 of those 5 so there is my example. Good luck.

So what did you guys do about 15+ schools?

<a href="http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/help/fotwfaq14.htm" target="_blank">http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/help/fotwfaq14.htm</a>

This link is from the fafsa web site. It has instructions for sending information to more than 6 schools.

There are instructions on the site for what to do about that. I'm still working on it. All I've discovered so far is that it's not a good idea to add the other schools until you're sure your info is correct. I had to make corrections to mine (there's instructions on the site for making corrections too), and discovered that if I'd have added the other schools before making the corrections, none of the 6 origional schools would have gotten the corrected numbers. So now I'm waiting for my corrections to be processed, before adding the other schools. Shouldn't take long, they processed my initial filing in just a few days. But apply for your PIN right away, and while you're waiting for it, you can start gathering info -- there's a worksheet on the site that you can print out to give you an idea of what info to gather.

now are we talking about ESTIMATES of our tax info? cuz i just received my w-2 a couple of days ago while my parents are still waiting for theirs. in previous years, i think i've always waited until late march when all the info is official.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Brian T:
•<a href="http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/help/fotwfaq14.htm" target="_blank">http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/help/fotwfaq14.htm</a>

This link is from the fafsa web site. It has instructions for sending information to more than 6 schools.•••••Thank you! :D

And thanks to everyone for all of your help! I really appreciate it.

For medical school you don't have to include your parent's info. Since you already have your W-2, You can actually figure out all the info you need for the fafsa. I'd recommend printing out the 1040 forms you need from the irs.gov website and calculate everything. I did that over the weekend and my FAFSA has already been sent to schools.

i know the gov consider us to be "independent" now, but a few schools have actually told me specifically to include my parents' info because the med schools still consider us as "dependent". and in order to receive financial aid, i have to include my parents' figures. i know some schools don't do it that way, so they ignore that section entirely so it doesn't hurt you. but for others, i think it's very necessary. other people have been told similar things? someone back me up here?

For anybody nice enough to answer:

Since my parents won't be giving me any money at all for med school, am I independent? So I just fill out the forms saying I make 1000 dollars a year? :)

•••quote:•••Originally posted by lollipop:
•i know the gov consider us to be "independent" now, but a few schools have actually told me specifically to include my parents' info because the med schools still consider us as "dependent". and in order to receive financial aid, i have to include my parents' figures. i know some schools don't do it that way, so they ignore that section entirely so it doesn't hurt you. but for others, i think it's very necessary. other people have been told similar things? someone back me up here?•••••wow you answered my question while I was typing it!

lollipop - i was told the same thing. In fact, every school that I have been to has said that I have to include parental information in order to be considered for all available funds.

good, so are we still ESTIMATING here? or waiting for real #'s? and anyone know any other schools besides emory that has deadlines coming up soon?

As a future medical student, you're independant no matter what your parents are willing or not willing to give you as far as the feds are concerned. But individual schools have their own loans/grants/scholarships, and most require parental info, either on FAFSA, or on some other form, in order to asses your eligibility for it. You don't have to put your parents' info on FAFSA, but if you don't, you won't be considered for all the aid that's out there. There's no downside to putting it on there. The feds will ignore it, and the schools will either look at it or not, according to their policies. I've been told by lilycat that each year at her school, merit scholarships go begging, because the "rich kids" don't bother to apply. The MSAR is full of information about financial aid, including all the school codes, plus a helpful chart that lists what each school wants where and when. All of this has been discussed at great length on SDN in the past month or so (except for my ASTOUNDING discovery tonight, that all the codes and that wonderful chart are in the MSAR!!!). Do a search for FAFSA, and you'll come up with tons of helpful information.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by lollipop:
•good, so are we still ESTIMATING here? or waiting for real #'s? and anyone know any other schools besides emory that has deadlines coming up soon?•••••I'm estimating, but with good figures from my parents' accountant, so that when I submit copies of my actual 1040's, there won't be much change. No way could I get my parents to file before Feb. 1 which is a soft (strongly suggested) deadline at one of my schools -- Albany.
U. Washington (Seattle) deadline is Feb. 28.

AS far as I know just so all you new FAFSA filers are aware--if it is the first time you are filing you don't get a pin. You fill it out online, print out a form to sign, then next year you get a pin so you can electronically sign....

•••quote:•••Originally posted by megkudos:
•AS far as I know just so all you new FAFSA filers are aware--if it is the first time you are filing you don't get a pin. You fill it out online, print out a form to sign, then next year you get a pin so you can electronically sign....•••••You can apply for and get a PIN this year. I did it. You can do it the other way if you want, but it's much handier to have a PIN, if you need to make changes or add schools, etc.

Yup, you can get a PIN this year. I did too, and it only took a couple of days.

So here is a question I've had in my mind for some time.....

If your parents don't have their stuff together as of yet, and FAFSA is due before March 2, you are suppose to write down estimates right? Well, some schools (like Dartmouth) say they don't want estimates, they only want the real numbers. So if you fill out the FAFSA with estimates of how much you parents make (oh yeh...I made squat this year because I didn't work), then can you go back later on and fill out the actual numbers and re-submit your FAFSA? Get what I'm tryin to say? How does all this mess work?

Thanks

When applying for a PIN, for those of you who live at school, do you put your school address or permanent home address? In general, what address do you use? (It may ask for both, I'm not there yet)
For now I'm putting my permanent address

You can have the PIN emailed to you

hey smw,

about albany med school, they say explicitly to not include your parents' info on the fafsa. that stuff is supposed to be taken care of on the NEED form, or something like that. but you did anyway. i'm assuming it's to cover your bases with other schools. i've been meaning to call albany about that. so is it cool to include anyway, even though they explicitly say not to? will they just ignore it? thanks.

Previous posters have said they will just ignore it, so I don't think you have to worry.