Why is intestine transplant surgery so darn pricey?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kakarrott

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was going through some lists of expensive operation and I found out that Intestine transplant costs around 1,2million dollars. The fact that it costs more than lungs or hearth transplant really impressed me but why its so pricey?
And how often is operation like this done? I was looking for it on google but aparently Iam not asking the right questions or something :D

Members don't see this ad.

Organs are billed by weight. Since intestines are heavier than a heart, it costs more

Reactions: 3 users
Intestines for transplant: 100,000$

3 month ICU stay: 2,000,000$

Lifetime of TPN dependence: priceless

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh I understand, it just seems too much for me, how can anyone afford this pricey operation.
Well Iam not so sure about american health care but we have been told here that most of the pacients have to pay for it themselves. Thus it sounds really, you know, not affordable :/

Then please, if it is not a big problem, can you tell me how is it really? (Gee I feel like it sounds sarcastic but it really is not)

In the US under normal circumstances insurance would cover it. I honestly have no idea if Medicaid would cover an operation like this, but I'm just a med student so that's way out of my are.

I think intestinal transplants are pretty uncommon and their outcomes generally aren't great anyway (at least in my limited understanding).

Reactions: 1 user

From what I've seen as a resident in a center that has a busy intestinal transplant program this made me lol cause it's so true.

From what I've seen as a resident in a center that has a busy intestinal transplant program this made me lol cause it's so true.
if there is TPN dependence why the intestine transplant?

https://www.srtr.org/transplant-centers/?&organ=intestine&recipientType=adult&sort=volume

Busiest center in country last year did 20 adults (Cleveland Clinic) and only 13 places did any adults, and 95 total adult intestine transplants were performed.

53 pediatric intestinal Transplants were performed... Only Nebraska hitting double digits.

Intestines are the most immunogenic of the solid organ transplants, reject easily, get ****ed up by the immunosuppressive medications, and are just miserable to deal with. I specifically avoided the experience if I could when selecting my fellowship.