Why is it I never see "Ophthalmology" listed under anything?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tick

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I am searching for scholarships or filling out applications that require to know what I plan to be from a list they have prepared for me. I never see Ophthalmology.

I see Pre-Med, Pre-Optometry, Optometry, Optometric Assistant, etc.. Never have I seen Ophthalmology. It's kind of a bring down because it brings up a lot of doubtful feelings and thoughts about the road I'm on (To becoming an Eye Surgeon).

Can anyone explain why it's never seen and help me get some confidence back? It's made me feel like becoming one may be even harder than I have imagined.

Members don't see this ad.

When I am searching for scholarships or filling out applications that require to know what I plan to be from a list they have prepared for me. I never see Ophthalmology.

I see Pre-Med, Pre-Optometry, Optometry, Optometric Assistant, etc.. Never have I seen Ophthalmology. It's kind of a bring down because it brings up a lot of doubtful feelings and thoughts about the road I'm on (To becoming an Eye Surgeon).

Can anyone explain why it's never seen and help me get some confidence back? It's made me feel like becoming one may be even harder than I have imagined.

My guess is the reason for you is because Ophthalmology isnt a level of schooling. Optometry, Optometric Assistant are degrees you get at the end of a level of schooling. i.e. you go to Optometry school and finish as an OD...

Ophthalmology is a specialty you apply for at the END of med school...i.e. there is no other way into it (no direct school for Ophtho) so there are no pre-ophthalmology curriculums other than to do well in medical school (MD or DO)...so you go to med school and finish as an MD/DO and then continue on into Ophtho.

Hope I didnt confuse the matter for you

have to select physician on those psat exams

you can't go straight into ophtho from high school/college

Both Ophthalmologists and Optometrists have Clinical Doctorate Professional Degrees. Ophthalmologists have predominantly the Doctor of Medicine (MD) Degree or to a much lesser extent the Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO) Degree. Optometrists have the Doctor of Optometry (OD) Degree. The big difference is professions that train "limited license doctors" such as dentists, podiatrists, and optometrists, have dedicated clinical doctorate programs to produce graduates with that area of specialization. Whereas ophthalmology is an area of subspecialty out of the profession of medicine and is NOT a clinical doctorate degree like optometry, dentistry, and podiatry, respectively. A person such as yourself desiring of becoming an ophthalmologist would have to go to 4 yrs of medical school to earn an Doctor of Medicine (MD) degree and than compete for and apply to on ophthalmology residency, compete it (1 internship year + 3 yrs of ophthalmology residency) to become an ophthalmic surgeon (i.e an ophthalmologist.)

Doctor of Optometry (OD)---Primary Eye Doctor
Optometrist = 4 yr BS + 4 yr Doctor of Optometry (OD) Degree
+ (optional) 1 yr residency

• limited license practitioner with the authority to manage primary eye diseases with medications (topical ophthalmic and oral drugs--48 states), refractive care (spectacles, contact lenses), pre-post operative care, visual rehabilitation, and limited minor surgical procedures (not real ophthalmic surgery.)
http://www.opted.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=1

Ophthalmologist (MD or DO)--Eye Physician and Surgeon
Ophthalmologist = 4 yr BS + 4 yr Doctor of Medicine (MD) Degree
+(mandatory) 4 yr Ophthalmology Residency

• Unlimited medical licensed practitioner with the ability to practice in ANY realm of eye care from primary to tertiary (primary eye care to surgical eye care). Can use any therapeutic modality available with no restrictions.
http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/

Both optometry and ophthalmology are great fields but if you want to become an ophthalmic surgeon you have to go to medical school, finish in the top 15% of your class with good USMLE board scores (around 230), and match in an ophthalmology residency.

GOOD LUCK!!!