Why is it necessary to do Robbin's Question book?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocKat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

A lot of people have recommended the Robbin's pathology question book as a supplement Q book, but I just wonder is it necessary to do it? I mean, wouldn't doing path questions from the question banks such as Kaplan and UWorld be sufficient for path prep? Sorry if this is a stupid question but I just wonder why that book is necessary, since it seems that supplemental question books for other subjects are generally not recommended. What does it have that path questions from Kaplan and UWorld don't have? Thanks :love:

Members don't see this ad.

that book is not necessary nor recommended during boards studying time. its a good book to do throughout the year but the questions are not board style so you're better off sticking with the question banks. it's only a book to consider if you can actually get through both qbank and usmleworld.

The author is (or at least was) the head of the committee that writes pathology questions for Step I. I think if you do enough of his questions you can get into his head a little bit.

However this book is more in depth and difficult than Step I pathology, so if you have a couple of weeks left, there are better applications of your study time.

wouldn't doing path questions from the question banks such as Kaplan and UWorld be sufficient for path prep?

the path slides/photos in the book are very good for preparation for the random "what tumor/condition is shown in the photo" questions in Step 1. the book covers the path and pathophys of all the major diseases/conditions in every organ. so for those prepared to walk the extra mile....

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree w/Blz. The questions seem to be more in depth than UWorld (which, so I am told, even more in depth than the real exam). However, some people swear by the Robbins Q-book. To each his own.

i am one of those that think that the robbins question book is a vital part of anyone's pathology curriculum. it's a good way to solidify and compartmentalize pathology. i'd say don't spend TOO much time on it....just "breeze" though it.