Why is it so hard for California residents to get into med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Fermata said:
As far as I'm concerned you Cali folk can have the state.

That's less skin cancer for the rest of us. :D

California is the only state where UV radiation yields thymine dimers :(

Members don't see this ad.

TRUE said:
And people in other states are idiots. We don't study outside of california. Why is it that people from california tend to think that something about their state is so different from any other?

Have you ever BEEN to California? It is pretty different from the rest of the country . . . its doesn't fall into a geographical region that has shared characteristics (ie New England, the South).
Thats my two Italian cents . . . hold it I guess that would be like 2.22 cents with the exchange rate. damn euro!

celticmists18 said:
Have you ever BEEN to California? It is pretty different from the rest of the country . . . its doesn't fall into a geographical region that has shared characteristics (ie New England, the South).
Thats my two Italian cents . . . hold it I guess that would be like 2.22 cents with the exchange rate. damn euro!

Yes I have been to California. And? Just because a state doesn't mesh geographically with any region around it means diddly about the people inside the state. What does this geographic "fact" say about how smart people are inside the state? Furthermore, I can say the same thing about Florida (but I don't). Geographically speaking, it's nothing like the regions around it (it's not really part of the Southeast at all).

Members don't see this ad :)
:laugh: ???My state can kick your states ass???gawd it?s like 3rd grade all over again.

No one should move to southern California?it?s dry, there are fires, earthquakes, liberals/conservatives, high diversity/racism?it?s just bad?. stay away?

Oh.... the med schools are full of gunners that will stab you in the back for that extra .0001 on their GPA.... :thumbup:

I think California is too big for its own good. It definitely needs to be split up into two so that resources (like those that would create new med schools) can be better allocated. How about creating the State of North California, The Penal Colony of Southern California, keep San Diego (and the naval base), and just give the rest back to Mexico?

WatchingWaiting said:
I'll admit that your initial statement was pretty funny, mostly due its novelty rather than its accuracy. But, be serious, you're going to point out five actress/singer/general hotties as evidence of overall hotness in a state of 20 million people? I've seen a lot of excess beef when visiting the midwest and south, and, unfortunately, an awful lot of it was not on the cows.

Apparently the concept of comedy is lost on this thread.

So I guess you would have me list a million people before being satisfied with pictures? Gimme a break :rolleyes:

Jalby said:
Oh. When I started writing my post we were still on the topic about how Californians were soooooo much smarter and better than the rest of those poor hapless souls who are unfortunate enough to live in the one of the other 49 states and how we should just leave you guys to wallow in your own misery. But since we are on the topic of boobs, Cali definately wins there, too. Guess who invented silicon?? And it wasn't originally made for circuits.

Well, I guess since this thread has gone back to "serious" despite my posts, Ill have to correct this:

Silicon is not silicone. Silicon is a naturally occurring semiconductor used in circuits. No on "invented it." Silicone is a silicon-oxygen polymer used in breast implants.

Also, the inventor of silicone (http://www.invent.org/hall_of_fame/83.html) invented silicone in NY and the main research took place in MI according to this article.

But lets face it, if you truly believe A cups > C cups, well, I guess you like manboobs more than regular boobs.

thewzdoc said:
:laugh: ???My state can kick your states ass???gawd it?s like 3rd grade all over again.

No one should move to southern California?it?s dry, there are fires, earthquakes, liberals/conservatives, high diversity/racism?it?s just bad?. stay away?

Oh.... the med schools are full of gunners that will stab you in the back for that extra .0001 on their GPA.... :thumbup:

:thumbup:
and irresistible :D
So here I'll go....

1) It's a 3rd grade festival live, dude, not a rerun, not even tape delayed.
2) Fires and earthquakes entice, your majesty. They create job openings as well as keep economy going. People have more opportunities to move in brand new real estates Besides, some people might be willing to die for such an opportunity to walk right into one of those mothers of nature just for a change.
3) Back stabbers are everywhere, your honor. People get hit by something that they don?t see in a forum more often. Besides, gunners would never survive pre-emptive strikes SDN style, would they?

BTW, if I say that USA is the smartess, would we get hit with some kind of detonation? *:scared: :rolleyes:*
:D