sdf

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, right on! Go to a school with an unfashionable library and there's no way you're matching into Dermatology.

I don't think anyone from Wayne matches in to derm... how can you know pretty skin when you go to such an ugly school ?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think anyone from Wayne matches in to derm... how can you know pretty skin when you go to such an ugly school ?
If I remember correctly, 2 WSU med students matched into derm last year. Both at DMC.

The school is kinda old and ugly, not enough lecture hall seating, and has a ridiculously large class size. But the midtown neighborhood isn't as bad as people say, there is a fairly good diversity of people (8% of local demographic is Asian unlike the rest of Detroit), and they seem to have a plan to revamp the place. I think they are finding the funds to build a new section of the school, I don't remember what it is called. Also... what do you think of their "Vision 2011"? It seems pretty ambitious.

its in the hood

Members don't see this ad :)
People make too many assumptions about the locations of schools like Wayne, SLU, Downstate and you know what thesay about assumptions....:D

I interviewed at SLU and thought the area was fine. I am going to interview at Wayne in April, so I'll see first hand what all the fuss is about.

Also, Batman's name is Bruce Wayne, so points for Wayne state right there. :D

If I remember correctly, 2 WSU med students matched into derm last year. Both at DMC.

The school is kinda old and ugly, not enough lecture hall seating, and has a ridiculously large class size. But the midtown neighborhood isn't as bad as people say, there is a fairly good diversity of people (8% of local demographic is Asian unlike the rest of Detroit), and they seem to have a plan to revamp the place. I think they are finding the funds to build a new section of the school, I don't remember what it is called. Also... what do you think of their "Vision 2011"? It seems pretty ambitious.

Vision 2011 looks great... and the new dean looks like he has his **** together. I talked with my interviewer about him, and they all seem really excited about this vision, and wayne positioning themselves for that exclusive club of preferred NIH research funding institutions. The new addition is called Mazurek Hall or something. It's good they finally got their act together and started a major fundraising campaign since there is a lot of money in the area. (3 of the 50 richest counties in the US are in metro detroit, including oakland which is like top 5, not to mention all that car company money) From what it sounded like they're almost trying to take the Pitt approach of being rank-****** through getting research money, and I wouldn't be surprised if wayne would be a top 30 school in the usnews if they decide to participate in a couple years

its in the hood

see, that's the problem. People always assume the city is so much more dangerous than the suburbs, when that's clearly not true. Even in Oakland County, there are problems... a couple years ago I was hanging out in Auburn Hills, just minding my own business, when out of nowhere Ron Artest ran up to me and started kicking my ass!

Well yeah. Oakland is nice. However, all of the white collar workers are handing by a thin thread with a job in the auto companies. The economy is pretty flat right now in the area with real estate and building unless you go into some of the Northern Oakland suburbs or out in Western Macomb. My girlfriend's dad who is a general contractor is working in Florida because there is nothing going on around here in Michigan.

Well yeah. Oakland is nice. However, all of the white collar workers are handing by a thin thread with a job in the auto companies. The economy is pretty flat right now in the area with real estate and building unless you go into some of the Northern Oakland suburbs or out in Western Macomb. My girlfriend's dad who is a general contractor is working in Florida because there is nothing going on around here in Michigan.

yeah, my parents are pretty much looking for jobs elsewhere at the moment. Sadly we just built a house a couple years ago that we're probably going to take a major loss on when trying to sell it.

OOS tuition is quite high, though they told us at the financial aid seminar that they consider you a resident after one year, unlike UMich.... and yeah, I didn't believe it at first when I heard it either.

That's news to me and something that all of my OOS friends have been waiting a couple of years to hear.
Since I haven't heard any rumors about that I would double check with your source on that - there is no way that they are going to give up the extra $, especially with a construction project on the horizon.

You don't have to live in Detroit to go to Wayne State. Some of the safest suburban cities in the country are located ~15-20 minutes away. And because everyone is moving out of Detroit (and the state of Michigan for that matter) the rush hour is a joke (especially compared to Chicago) so you shouldn't have any problem minimizing your commute if this is your desire. The main reason very few people apply to Wayne State is that they heavily favor accepting people from the state of Michigan. If you look at all the other schools that hardly accept anyone from Out-of-State, you will find that their applicant pools are also much smaller than schools like GW or Georgetown that accept just about all of their students out-of-state.