Why is it "The Ohio State" instead of just "Ohio State"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustCats

UC Davis SVM c/o 2013!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious. It's been bugging me since I noticed it last week.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
THE makes the name more pronounced and it sticks out more. But thats just my bs.

Someone told me at my interview that it was actually placed into the school's charter and constitution that OSU would be referred to as The Ohio State University. Maybe it's because it is the one and the only Ohio State?

Which came first? The chicken or the egg?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's just so we don't get confused with Ohio University (in Athens). THE Ohio State is Ohio's original land grant university. Besides, we're much better obviously! :laugh:

There was a thread last year where this came up if you're interested:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=497435

Thanks, Cateyes. I found the excerpt below in the thread you linked to:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Why are we called ""THE" Ohio State University"?
In 1986, a new University logo was introduced in the hopes of moving away from the "OSU" symbol, which had been used since 1977. The change from simply "OSU" was said to "reflect the national stature of the institution." University officials wanted the institution to be known as "The Ohio State University," again, since OSU could also mean Oregon State and Oklahoma State University.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] However, the "The" was actually part of the state legislation when the university was renamed in 1878. The following excerpt is from the Board of Trustee minutes: .
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] "...the educational institution heretofore known as the 'Ohio Agricultural and Mechanical College,' shall be known and designated hereafter as 'The Ohio State University.'".

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Those who wanted the name change thought the original name was too narrow in scope, and that it was inadequate for the institution that was the only beneficiary of the land grant act. President Edward Orton was insistent that a new name would separate the institution from other colleges in Ohio. .

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Legend also has it that "The" was used to show the other colleges which institution was supposed to be the leader in the state - both in size and in financial support from the legislature. .

Just an FYI - because it's a huge pet peeve of mine - you say either The Ohio State University or Ohio State. Don't use the "The" if you aren't also saying University.

Just an FYI - because it's a huge pet peeve of mine - you say either The Ohio State University or Ohio State. Don't use the "The" if you aren't also saying University.

Noted.

I attend OSU, but apparently not THE OSU. The other OSUs (Oregon and Oklahoma, respectively) don't get the honor of being THE OSU.

Oklahoma State: "Hey, y'know, we're kinda in the big 12 too, and..."
THE Ohio St U: "Shut up Oklahoma, nobody cares."
Oregon St U: *cowers in the corner*

I never really noticed any of this before joining the forum. If you say something about OSU in this area, no one will assume you mean Ohio. :)

Last edited:
Come on now, that is absolutely ridiculous. You don’t use words like the, and, of, for, etc in acronyms.

I attend OSU, but apparently not THE OSU. The other OSUs (Oregon and Oklahoma, respectively) don't get the honor of being THE OSU.

Oklahoma State: "Hey, y'know, we're kinda in the big 12 too, and..."
THE Ohio St U: "Shut up Oklahoma, nobody cares."
Oregon St U: *cowers in the corner*

:laugh::laugh::laugh: That's hilarious twelvetigers! It's a good thing none of my coworkers are around, they'd think I went completely nuts!

Members don't see this ad :)
Which came first? The chicken or the egg?[/quote]

Not to be a smarty, but the egg came first. I remember a student asking my vertebrate zoology teacher that and he looked at him as though he was stupid! He said, "The egg of course. The Amniote derived evolutionarily before Aves..."

So, if anyone ever asks, you can surprise them with the answer:laugh:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe they renamed the school "The University of Florida at Columbus, Ohio" in 2007. After all, we do own them.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe they renamed the school "The University of Florida at Columbus, Ohio" in 2007. After all, we do own them.

I was just about to say you are my new favorite, but then I remembered I haven't seen you in FOREVER and therefore this comment only helps to make me slightly less mad at you.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Legend also has it that "The" was used to show the other colleges which institution was supposed to be the leader in the state - both in size and in financial support from the legislature. .

So basically - and apologies for the crudeness - it came down to a locker room style dick size competition?

well, considering how AWESOME the people who are going to THE Ohio state this year from the forum. ;)

then why don't you have 'The' in front of OSU on your profile pic?

It's just marketing and brand identity.

Like 'The artist formerly known as Prince' or why the mop I purchased last weekend was both new *and* improved.

I think it's awfully silly. The naming conventions for Universities pretty much ensure you'll have duplicate three letter acronyms. Illinois State University and Iowa State University are both ISU. Thankfully neither of them felt the need to rebrand themselves as '*THE* ISU'.