Why is NYU so unpleasant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MorningLight2100

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all, HAPPY HALLOWEEN SDNers!!!!! :D

Okay, now to the main topic of the morning. I have received bad vibes from NYU all along...from the unwarranted annoyance they demonstrated toward me when I requested an application via phone (I'd submitted the form online...but after a month & 1/2 I still had not received the application), to the tone in their brochures, which basically screamed, "Don't you DARE call us with questions, you schleps!!!" I found it odd that this was the only med school that didn't provide an e-mail address.

A few days ago I called the admissions office to schedule an interview, and I was greeted with this:

"Okay MorningLight, what day were you thinking?"

ME: "Would November 14th be possible?"

" What? Aren't you in NY?"

ME: "Yes...."

"Then can't you come in this week?"

ME: "No, I'm sorry, I'm afraid that I can't."

"At all? Not one day out of the entire week? I mean, you're just uptown."

ME: "I'm very sorry, but I have class from 10:30 until as late as 7:30 every day, and I'm in the middle of midterm exams. My schedule just doesn't allow me to squeeze things in without some sort of advance."

(*huffs an irritated sigh*)"Well, come in this Saturday then. Surely you can do that?"

Now why on earth should they treat their applicants with so much disrespect?

Has anyone had similar experiences? I sincerely hope that the attitude of their admissions office isn't reflective of the school!!!! :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

I ended up having to go to their admissions office to pick up an application. Saturday interviews? That's convenient! Sorry to hear about your experience...at least you're interviewing there though...good luck :)

Reactions: 1 user
I decided not to apply to NYU because of the tone of their application packet. They sounded juvenile: "Don't call us and don't confuse us with other NYC schools. We are not Mount Sinai!!" How stupid do they think applicants are?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just think that's the way NYC schools are in general. I won't make a judgement until I meet them in person. As far as the Mt. Sinai thing, I can see how it can occur quite often since Mt. Sinai used to be affiliated with NYU (Mt. Sinai School of Medicine of NYU). (or maybe it still is, but is separate?)

When I applied to NYU several years ago, I had a similar conversation when setting up my interview. Having said that, you do increase your chances of acceptance by interviewing earlier, so I sort of appreciated their prodding, if not the manner in which it was given. And no, the attitude is not reflective of the school as a whole :)

sorry to hear that you had a bad experience...i personally haven't gotten a bad impression of NYU. I called to reschedule my interview twice in one day last week, and they were more than willing to accomodate me. I think a lot of what is said in their brochure is done to discourage applicants who may not be serious about attending their school. At least this way, they can weed out a number of applicants and give special attention to a smaller group. Everyone I've met from NYU (Students, dean, secretaries...) have been super nice, so maybe someone was just having a bad day.

Thank you all so much for your feedback. It's so good to hear that others have NOT shared my experiences! Perhaps I've just had bad luck. It's very encouraging to hear positive accounts. I was starting to feel a bit sour, which discouraged me because I've always previously been very interested in the school.

Thank you once again! :D

Perhaps i'll be accused with trying to find fault with NYU, but the way in which their operation seems to completely low-tech (no email, stupid cards) has been offputting. Oh that and how they sent my application back to me because I didn't DATE my signature!!

How absolutely absurd!!! :mad:

Oh well, at least all the other schools (for the most part) seem to have their **** together!

Don't judge a school by it's adcom. They are often the rudest people in the school before you get accepted, after you get accepted then they can be pretty helpful. But remember that once classes start, your interaction with the people adcom will be minimal to more likely none at all.

I've had a few piss poor experiences, and some great ones (Emory should give a clinic on being friendly). You've just gotta remember that they're probably getting 200 phonecalls from whiney pre-meds asking about the same stuff (is my app complete, will i be competitive, etc., etc., ad nauseum). It'd drive even the nicest of us to the end of our ropes. I personally like to minimize contact, or if i do call, be EXCESSIVELY nice. Not really how i'm used to acting, but usually works ;-) --Trek

Reactions: 1 user