Why is oxygen hydrophobic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ssh18

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain this to me...I'm confused!

Members don't see this ad.

And where did you read this?

The unpaired electrons would hydrogen bond to the two hydrogens of H20.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you referring to movement across the cell membrane? Molecular oxygen (O2) can diffuse across the membrane not b/c its hydrophobic but b/c its very small and has a large pressure driving it. I'm not sure that an oxygen atom by itself can exist. Others please confirm this.

Are you referring to movement across the cell membrane? Molecular oxygen (O2) can diffuse across the membrane not b/c its hydrophobic but b/c its very small and has a large pressure driving it. I'm not sure that an oxygen atom by itself can exist. Others please confirm this.

I am confirming it. O2 is a nonpolar gas just like H2, etc. It is small and nonpolar, thus it can easily cross plamsa membranes.

another thing, in case drawing it out does not work, both Oxygens are identical, with equal electronegativity. Think about it.

I understand it can diffuse through plasma membranes. I guess I should have clarified. In the TPR book it says "oxygen is too hydrophobic to dissolve in plasma in significant qualities." Are you saying this is because it's nonpolar (same electroneg.)? Thanks!

Is this term relevant??? Molecular oxygen, as a gas, has low solubility in water. hydrophobic - hydrophilic - who cares?

Balancing dipole interactions give it no net dipole. Thus you cannot say it is polar - despite that carbonyl's, hydroxys, etc are all polar.

I think what you really mean is, can it cross a PM. Yes, barely, and better than charged ions/huge macromolecules. But it does not do it that well.

Remember, Oxygen needs hemoglutan to be transported in the blood
IF IT WAS HYDROPHOBIC, it would aggregate with lipids. I do not think it does this. It is NEITHER>

O2 is definately nonpolar, and as such cannot freely dissovle in the blood and needs a carrier (hence RBCs), which is also why it crosses the plasma membrane freely. O2 is nonpolar just as H2, CO2, etc.....I promise you this. good luck.:luck:

O2 does not contain a carbonyl (C double bond to O) or a hydroxyl (OH)