ttpharm

7+ Year Member
May 27, 2011
Status
Dental Student
It can add both ortho and para since its a activating group attached to it. This problem is testing you to know that it adds NO2 and not SO3H. Notice there is no answer where NO2 is para. If there was, the answer would be both of them.

TXpredent

Always confused
Aug 31, 2011
Status
yup, that's the only right answer choice. However, I had a question about this myself because I'm worried about getting tripped up on the DAT. Let's say it's just like yours, nitration of toluene and it's asking for the "major product(s)":

A) meta NO2
B) para NO2
C) ortho NO2
D) B and C

would the answer be just B or would it be D? I've seen several times that the para position is slightly favored over the ortho position, so is that the major product? Or does it want both?

In your case, it's the ortho NO2 because like ttpharm said, there's no para NO2 option.

chlrbwls

7+ Year Member
May 17, 2011
Status
Dental Student
Think of hindrance the ortho is sterically indering with the methyl group para is less sterically hindered

Sent from my Fascinating ICS

dental13

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental, Dental Student
there is a similar question to this on destroyer and it prefers para position over ortho

the only case where I see ortho is major is when you are adding hydroxy group to a phenol. Then this addition favors ortho instead of para because of Hydrogen bonding between two hydroxy groups.

sacapuntas

Verified Account
Feb 25, 2011
Status
Dental Student
I believe if you get a question on the DAT testing ortho vs. para position you will be given a group that is very sterricaly (sp) hindering like a tert butyl group and not just a methyl group. I don't think you will have to worry about the answer being too ambiguous.