Why is Rheumatology getting so competitive

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Successor12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need an insight about why Rheumatology is getting this competitive?

Members don't see this ad.

all outpatient, very little call, can work 3-4 days/week and still make 250k+, interesting disease field, able to see rare disease and now able to filter out the crazies; few rheumatologists see fibromyalgia nowadays.

Members don't see this ad :)
I need an insight about why Rheumatology is getting this competitive?

'Millennials' don't want to take overnight call and work weekends...j/k

Biologic therapies for rheumatologic diseases have exploded recently and will continue to do so. Drug reps are all over them. It's very interesting from a physician-scientist standpoint.

That being said, if anyone thinks they're not going to get worked as an outpatient rheumatologist, they're kidding themselves.
8 half-days a week of clinic is pretty standard. Prior auth for biologics are a killer and can eat up all your time depending on your payer mix and administration's willingness to help with this. Diseases are exceedingly complex requiring long IOV visits w/ little reimbursement. Academic rheumatologists are among the most poorly compensated in internal medicine.

Disclaimer: I'm not a rheumatologist although I work very closely with them

I think you can not beat Rheumatology lifestyle within IM

all outpatient, very little call, can work 3-4 days/week and still make 250k+, interesting disease field, able to see rare disease and now able to filter out the crazies; few rheumatologists see fibromyalgia nowadays.

From what I've seen, this is an exaggeration--I don't know any rheumatologists that work part time who make 250+. Most work busy full clinic days, especially if you are in private practice.

In addition, fibromyalgia still gets referred to rheumatologists, but this is also being shared by pain management.

From what I've seen, this is an exaggeration--I don't know any rheumatologists that work part time who make 250+. Most work busy full clinic days, especially if you are in private practice.

In addition, fibromyalgia still gets referred to rheumatologists, but this is also being shared by pain management.
4 days is full time
And depending on how hard it is to get a rheum appt, they don’t have to see fibromyalgia

Tons of rheumatologists make wayyy more than $250k on 4 days a week.

Reactions: 1 users

We see them for first two visit to make sure there is no autoimmune disease. Talked to them about lifestyle yada-yada. See them back 2nd visit for labs. If no autoimmune disease, back to primary care. There is nothing for me to do for them and opiates is known to not help. So, we never prescribe them ( so they don't wanna see me any way if that's what they wanted). I need to save room for my lupus nephritis and vasculitis pts. Cannot be seeing those patient every 6 months ( usually next available appointment).

So, fiber get referred to us but they don't stay with us.

Reactions: 1 user