why is SnCl4 a lewis acid?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilietta2000

Dr.lili
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
why is SnCl4 a lewis acid?

Members don't see this ad.

hey,
The only thing i could think of is that Sn is able to expand its octet due to the d-orbital. Since Lewis acid is an electron acceptor, Sn can accept two more Cl and form SnCl6 with an overall -2 charge.

I am hoping this is what it is...otherwise I don't know.

hey,
The only thing i could think of is that Sn is able to expand its octet due to the d-orbital. Since Lewis acid is an electron acceptor, Sn can accept two more Cl and form SnCl6 with an overall -2 charge.

I am hoping this is what it is...otherwise I don't know.

you are correct my friend :)

Sn can expand its octed rule and have two more Cl. also, if you look at it, Sn has two loan pairs of electron. Lewis Acid donates electron, just like there, Sn is donating its electron.
good luck.
when are you taking your DAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sn can expand its octed rule and have two more Cl. also, if you look at it, Sn has two loan pairs of electron. Lewis Acid donates electron, just like there, Sn is donating its electron.
good luck.
when are you taking your DAT?

a lewis BASE donates electrons, not a lewis acid. and, Sn does not have 2 pairs of pairs of e- to donate...it bonds just like carbon and has 4 unfilled orbitals (p-orbitals), but the reason it can act as a lewis acid is because it can expand its d-orbital so a previous poster is correct

thats so funny, i came on here to ask the same Q.
Actually, i got confused with the SnCl2 and was gonna make a post.

How come since it has a lone pair!!!
i am so confuzzled by that.
like i see u can make an octet, but like.. couldnt it donate it's lone pair causing it to be a base.
or does it depend on the situation, like an amphiprotic kind of thing.. ugh.

Like bigstix said earlier, the fact that SnCl4 can expand its d-orbital, thus accepting electrons makes it a lewis Acid. It doesnt then become a lewis base bc it can donate electrons...it wont donate electrons because it Wants a stable octet! Hope that helps