Walshy

5+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2012
I had a interview at Stony Brook and I could not understand why, in the unofficial rankings of dental school, it is ranked so high. It seemed like every other state school. What makes it stand out?

Reactions: jtomdds
Nov 25, 2013
Status
Dental Student
It is an exceptionally small class. Which is attractive to some students.

DoWork91

5+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2011
They have a 100% acceptance rate to specialty programs, 1st year students take classes with med students, a lot of classes are P/F, great clinical education, many other reasons.

Reactions: IsaacYankem
Aug 16, 2013
Status
Dental Student
I go to Stony Brook. This program has it all. The medical school classes, incredible clinical prep (along with the respect from practicing dentists and residency program directors to show for it), small class size with a true community/family feel to the school, all the faculty know you by name (and most take the time to sincerely get to know you), amazing opportunities for extracurricular involvement (National conferences, local volunteer work, networking opportunities, strong research, and a ton of outreach - 1/4 of the 3rd year class is going to Madagascar for a month this summer, but there's also Chile, Jamaica, S. Dakota, TN). It's a small program so when you express interest in a specialty or area of dentistry, the faculty get as excited as you are. They invite you to their practices, introduce you to other dentists, and also make sure to write you amazing letters of recommendation - bec they know you so well they feel emotionally invested in your future. The upperclassmen are always looking to help the first and second years. I'd even feel comfortable randomly calling alumni of Stony who are currently in residency programs I'm interested in. You learn dentistry and are exposed to an incredible amount. Having recently interviewed for residency, I noticed our clinic requirements are much higher than average and I feel very confident. Just today I was printing my first 3D printed crown (E4D) with the one-on-one guidance (aka: I was the ONLY student working with him) of a prosthedontist who lectures internationally - not because it was so unique to be doing this, just because he spends a day a week in our clinic and he happened to work up the case with me. Granted this doesn’t happen every day, but when there are less people in your class you really do get personal instruction. Don't get me wrong, every school has its down sides. I wish our school could decide if it was hot or cold - the temperatures vary as you move from room to room. The parking could be three minutes of walking closer. It's a pretty intense and rigorous program too. But as I'm interviewing for a specialty, I'm realizing the benefits of the training here and I feel very lucky. This really is a special place.

doc toothache

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
Status
Dentist
I had a interview at Stony Brook and I could not understand why, in the unofficial rankings of dental school, it is ranked so high. It seemed like every other state school. What makes it stand out?
Probably because they authored the "unofficial ranking" that you speak of.