• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Why is the attrition rate for psychiatric residents so high?

nebuchadnezzarII

CALI born and raised.
5+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2015
America
  1. Resident [Any Field]
According to the data in the ACGME Data Resource Book, 398 Psychiatric residents didn’t complete their residencies during the 2016-2017 academic year. Some were dismissed (16), some withdrew, and the vast majority transferred.

Am I interpreting the data wrong? It seems like this is the highest among all specialties. Maybe I’m missing something since I’m seeing this through mobile phone. Does anyone have any insight or perspective on this? I find this to be quite shocking as I though psychiatry had relatively low burnout and attrition rates (not to conflate the two). Link below:

BorderlineQueen

Jun 2, 2019
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)

nebuchadnezzarII

CALI born and raised.
5+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2015
America
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Clearly I’m an idiot. Thanks for this. Mods can you please delete this repeat thread I made? I apologize.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.