Why is the August MCAT such a huge disadvantage?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jon Davis

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering why there is a general sentiment that there is a HUGE disadvantage for applicants in the August MCAT pool. I understand that those folks would fall behind in the rolling admissions schools but what is the magnitude of this "disadvantage"? Is the class make up of for example, 60% April and 40% August? Does it even matter at all in the end? (Assuming your score is the real deal maker). Any comments?

Jon Davis.

Members don't see this ad.

I think most ppl are average applicants and to optimize your chances of getting in a desired school, the consensus is to apply early and thus to take the April test. This was my logic.

Maybe there's some relative weight we could put on applying early: less important than a 3 point improvement for August retakers, and more important than typing rather than handwriting your secondaries.

liverotcod said:
more important than typing rather than handwriting your secondaries.

hey, what does this mean? i'm guessing you're being sarcastic ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
wetlightning said:
hey, what does this mean? i'm guessing you're being sarcastic ;)
Not really. It's one of the many things that premeds obsess about. Including me, last year. I do think that a relatively early (June or July) primary app gives one an advantage. I also think that 3 more points on the MCAT gives one an advantage. I also think that a neatly presented secondary application gives one an advantage. And I would give them relative weights as indicated. I can go on... being an older (30+) applicant falls above early application but below 3 points on MCAT. This is all by pretty subjective and of course will vary by school, but not completely arbitrary. I applied t0 30 schools myself and have done an awful lot of reading and research on the process.

Jon Davis said:
I was wondering why there is a general sentiment that there is a HUGE disadvantage for applicants in the August MCAT pool.
Jon Davis.

Right. Simply because of rolling admissions, you are behind in the game the later you apply.

liverotcod said:
Not really. It's one of the many things that premeds obsess about. Including me, last year. I do think that a relatively early (June or July) primary app gives one an advantage. I also think that 3 more points on the MCAT gives one an advantage. I also think that a neatly presented secondary application gives one an advantage. And I would give them relative weights as indicated. I can go on... being an older (30+) applicant falls above early application but below 3 points on MCAT. This is all by pretty subjective and of course will vary by school, but not completely arbitrary. I applied t0 30 schools myself and have done an awful lot of reading and research on the process.

Congrats on all your acceptances, liverotcod. Have you decided where you're going?

Fusion said:
Congrats on all your acceptances, liverotcod. Have you decided where you're going?
Thanks. University of Wisconsin. Pulling my hair out getting ready. It's a big transition for me and the family!

For those schools who have a Sept or Oct deadline, I am fairly sure its only for the PRIMARY application. Schools can just discriminate students based on when they took their MCAT. I think the scores get to the med schools as they are sent out, if there is an early deadline and IF they have completed the primary application.

Right???

The concept of rolling admissions means that as people are interviewed they are also accepted or rejected within a period of time afterward.
For most schools, they can have as much as half of their classes filled before there is an opportunity for you to interview. That is why it is a disadvantage.

BrettBatchelor said:
For most schools, they can have as much as half of their classes filled before there is an opportunity for you to interview. That is why it is a disadvantage.

While this is conceptually true, most schools need to accept many more students than seats to ensure a full class. They tend to do this by both accepting more than 100% of the seats and by using a waitlist. Thus even if the class is "half full" by the time an August MCAT person interviews, that doesn't mean that half the ultimate number "acceptances" have been given out. Also, from what I've seen, at at least some places the waitlist (and/or pre-interview hold) is used more judiciously in the early part of the cycle, so that schools still have spots available for the higher credentialed August MCATers.
While there is always going to be some advantage to applying earlier in a rolling admission process, I think the advantage is sometimes significantly overemphasized on this board. An applicant with poor credentials will not get in simply by applying early, and a great applicant will still be in good shape if they took the August MCAT and got their primary in by early fall. For those borderline individuals in the middle, an early app is probably of more importance.
I would echo what liverotcod has suggested -- that if you are retaking in August to improve your score, and do so substantially (3+ points), then you will always benefit from the August MCAT far more than any benefit you would get simply by applying earlier.

gujuDoc said:
Oh ok. Well good luck. I have a cousin in Milwaukee, Wi. I think he was considering the med school in Madison. Is that your school or MCW?? I always get the two confused when he tells me about it.
UW-Madison. MCW is a private school in Milwaukee, and a pretty good one. They told me, "no thank you" and as it turns out Madison is a pretty good deal financially, as well as a great school.