Why is the pain of Pulmonary embolism pleuritic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ibarne242

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
it was my understanding that, for pleural pain to develop, there must be some involvement of the parietal pleura. I'm having trouble appreciating how a pulmonary embolism could cause this. Thanks a ton.

Members don't see this ad.

it was my understanding that, for pleural pain to develop, there must be some involvement of the parietal pleura. I'm having trouble appreciating how a pulmonary embolism could cause this. Thanks a ton.
PE leading a pleural based infarct , also referred as Hampton s Hump, is essentially visceral based. Leads to local inflammation involving the parietal pleura....leading pain .
This is also ONE of the essential reasons for PE presenting with Fever, when te infarct is large and may get infected.
Good Question!

Sent from my SM-J730GM using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Not all PE pain is pleuritic. Generally its the peripheral (smaller) PEs that give you pleuritic pain because they are causing peripheral infarction. Giant saddle emboli often mimic cardiac pain or are pain free and just give profound SOB.

Reactions: 1 user