Why is the salary so low for LPCs? What is with this?

Discussion in 'Mental Health and Social Welfare' started by studentcounselor, Mar 23, 2018.

1. studentcounselor

Psychology Student
    Is there anyone out there living comfortably on this salary? Homeowners, foreign cars? Lol I am hopeful that the national reported salary is not a true guideline considering the many different levels of counselors?

2. Salvador

5+ Year Member

Learn to live frugally

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. WisNeuro

WisNeuro Board Certified Neuropsychologist
    Psychologist 10+ Year Member

Psychologist
    Welcome to the real world.

HooahDOc likes this.
  4. jtpesek

5+ Year Member

Yes you can make a nice living. You need to more than likely own a group practice though...

5. Mad Jack

Mad Jack Critically Caring
    Physician Verified Account 5+ Year Member

The average is around 60k, which is about 33% more than the average worker in the US. As an intern who drives a decent performance car (could have gotten a 3 series instead but nah) and owns my own home on around 50k/yr, yeah you can live a pretty normal middle class life on that salary unless you're in a big city or extremely high COL area. A spouse will make your life far better financially if they are working and making a similar income.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. MamaPhD

MamaPhD Psychologist, Academic Medical Center
    Psychologist 7+ Year Member

Psychologist
    All of the high earning LPCs I know are very savvy marketers and self employed. They are the far tail of the distribution though, and that is not to suggest that everyone can or should emulate them.