Why is there a gate at Navy Base Pensacola?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perrotfish

Has an MD in Horribleness
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a random question: I did a rotation at Navy base Pensacola, and the base is open to the public. Anyone at all is welcome to come on base and enjoy the excellent museum, the Officer's club, the running trails, or just to relax and fish of the pier. However, at the base's 2 main enterances there are gates built to accomodate all the traffic on and off base which each have between 1 and 3 security officers at a time checking everyone's ID to confirm that they fall into the category of people that are allowed on base (i.e. everyone).

Why are these poor people working full days in the Florida heat guarding an open gate?

Members don't see this ad.

Just a random question: I did a rotation at Navy base Pensacola, and the base is open to the public. Anyone at all is welcome to come on base and enjoy the excellent museum, the Officer's club, the running trails, or just to relax and fish of the pier. However, at the base's 2 main enterances there are gates built to accomodate all the traffic on and off base which each have between 1 and 3 security officers at a time checking everyone's ID to confirm that they fall into the category of people that are allowed on base (i.e. everyone).

Why are these poor people working full days in the Florida heat guarding an open gate?

Unofficial jobs program.

I had the same question about Brooks AFB in San Antonio for the last three years. The AF actually gave most of the base to the city, and the place had been gradually disassembled and everyone PCS'd. So they'd have these civilian security guys standing at the gate "checking IDs" to an empty base. In reality, they were just waving everyone past, and if you stopped to try and show them your military ID, they would angrily shake their heads and wave for you to keep driving into the base.

I'm pretty sure you could have driven a van labelled "Pure, Uncut Cocaine and Assorted Cartel Members Inside" up to the station and they would have waved it on through. Just a couple of dudes taking turns waving people past all day and collecting a government paycheck. I'm betting they had a bunch of Jack Daniels bottles under the desk.

Sometimes it is best not to ask why questions about the Navy... FWIW, I was stationed at NAS Pensacola during 9/11 and 100% ID checks started up after that event. I assume the gate was a logical extension. Now if someone can tell me why there are two craptastic fences around the Naval Academy...

Members don't see this ad :)
Even though it is currently open to the public there is always the possibility that they need to increase security and if you don't have the gates already built it would be pretty hard to do that. Same reasoning for USNA, well that and to make it harder for the Mids to jump the fence ;)

when i was there is wasn't open to the public (summer/fall 2001). even before 9/11, and certainly not after that. like someone said, the need for security may arise and then those gates become useful again.

On H-1 westbound, there's an exit for Hickam AFB, and, once you get on it, you're committed - you have to go to the base. It's not like it's a short jaunt - it's almost a mile, but, if you get off on the exit by accident (as I've done more than once), there's no opportunity to turn around before you get to the base. As such, I've learned the procedure: you pull up to the gate. Private security takes your ID. The other security guy has to stop traffic leaving, moves some cones, and you turn around the guard shack, and then the first one gives you back your ID.

Then, there was the night that the Domino's on base was the only one open. I had to pull up to the guard post, and the pizza guy carried the pie over to me 100ft from the parking lot directly past the guard point, and the same ID-cones-turn thing happened.

At the same time, when the air show is leeward, at Hickam, it's worth it. When it was windward, at MCAS Kaneohe, intrinsically, the Blue Angels show was better, but, overall, it seemed much less organized or much more complex (took me as long to leave as I spent at the show). And, as for "worth it", they're both free.

I have been driving onto NAS Pensacola for the last four years and have asked the same question about the gate. The security level will change just like it did recently. Nothing increases the security like a bad ass nighttime raid in Pakistan. Now it takes 30 min to get into the gate and those without passes being screened more.

I have a better question. WTF are there military stickers on my car? I mean really. You've been checking my ID every day since 9/11. They are nothing more than a way to keep me out of patient parking.

I have a better question. WTF are there military stickers on my car? I mean really. You've been checking my ID every day since 9/11. They are nothing more than a way to keep me out of patient parking.

I don't have the message on me, but they are actually doing away with those. I believe the AF already has.

Bump and follow up: Why is there a security guard at the O-Lot entrance at NMCSD? Its a fenced in parking lot. The only way to get to the parking lot is to drive through the gate, where there are guards who check your ID. The only conceivable reason to go to the parking lot at all is because you're both in the military and have stickers on your car, as anyone else would just use patient parking. If we're really unsatisfied with the fence around the O-lot (it is a little lower than the main fence) is a full time guard really less expensive than a new fence? Why is there a guard post here?

Last edited:
To respond to your original question - even at an open gate, guards can serve as a force protection measure. By checking IDs, you get a good look at the driver - and you can tell if something is not right. Is the driver acting funny - sweating, nervous, anxious, etc? May be doing something they aren't supposed to. Is the vehicle riding lower than it ought to? Sometimes this would be a good indication, overseas, that the vehicle was carrying a whole load of 155 shells rigged to blow. Even the simple fact of having a guard deters terrorists. It's all for force protection... at least in theory. How many sleepy security guards would actually catch any of that is anybody's guess. But there is, sometimes, a method behind the madness.

As far as the O-lot, don't know (haven't made it to NMCSD). Maybe one CO got mad that spots were being taken by enlisted?

Bump and follow up: Why is there a security guard at the O-Lot entrance at NMCSD? Its a fenced in parking lot. The only way to get to the parking lot is to drive through the gate, where there are guards who check your ID. The only conceivable reason to go to the parking lot at all is because you're both in the military and have stickers on your car, as anyone else would just use patient parking. If we're really unsatisfied with the fence around the O-lot (it is a little lower than the main fence) is a full time guard really less expensive than a new fence? Why is there a guard post here?

O lot is city property, not DOD. Technically you're leaving the base to park there. City lot is a better deal IMHO. Just walk in the back gate.

Members don't see this ad :)

I've also heard they're getting rid of the stickers. They should. It'll probably happen right after they get rid of the last Navy GMO billet.

I don't put bumper stickers on my car, in part because I don't want random people knowing who I am, or what I do, or what I think. I'd like to scrape the DOD stickers off too.

No DOD decals in the DC area. Not sure why the pit of anality doesn't have stickers and the rest of the military still does.

They have big signs up for the aviation museum visitors telling them not to go any farther west. There's no longer any ship tours on weekends as there used to be. Signs of the times.

I don't put bumper stickers on my car, in part because I don't want random people knowing who I am, or what I do, or what I think. I'd like to scrape the DOD stickers off too.

+1. Never had a sticker though.

DOD decals have saved me a speeding ticket or two.

I've also heard they're getting rid of the stickers. They should. It'll probably happen right after they get rid of the last Navy GMO billet.

Do you mean to tell me you don't have a personalized license plate that reads "DR TOM", "PICU RN", or some other foolishness? How about those stick figure families with the stick figure pets including the little angel cat representing little fluffy that died 3 years ago? :confused:

Either you are female or I just look like a serial killer. If I get pulled over, it doesn't matter if I'm military and have 4 medals of honor wrapped around my neck with full body prosthetics, I am going to get a ticket.

They are less likely to pull you over with a blue decal. I'm retired and male.

Do you mean to tell me you don't have a personalized license plate that reads "DR TOM", "PICU RN", or some other foolishness? How about those stick figure families with the stick figure pets including the little angel cat representing little fluffy that died 3 years ago? :confused:

When my youngest kid turns 18 and I kick her out into the cold cruel world and change the locks, I'm going to get three stickers for the back of my car: a stick figure of me, a stick figure of my wife, and a stick figure sack of money.

When my youngest kid turns 18 and I kick her out into the cold cruel world and change the locks, I'm going to get three stickers for the back of my car: a stick figure of me, a stick figure of my wife, and a stick figure sack of money.

What will you put when she moves back in at 24?

I just got an email today announcing that DOD stickers were going away 01 Jul 13. Please let this be real! :love:

If you go to the Navy Personnel Command website you can read a NAVADMIN dated this week that describes the end of DoD decal for the Navy

If you go to the Navy Personnel Command website you can read a NAVADMIN dated this week that describes the end of DoD decal for the Navy

That NAVADMIN is comical. You get a ten thousand word essay on the history of decals. It could have been written in a very short paragraph:

1. This is when they are going away.
2. This is how we are going to deal with the blue and red stickers.
3. Done

Saw this sticker in traffic. ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1370228213.438802.jpg

For you Star Wars geeks out there