Why is this school not more popular?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

musicalmedicine

Guitarist/future MD
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was searching around and there is an MD program in Hawaii (http://jabsom.hawaii.edu/jabsom/) Why is this school not mentioned on here very often? I would love to go to school in Hawaii, even if I didn't have tons of time outside of studying; I'm sure it is a great place to spend even small amounts of free time.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Because it's open-ended and requires you to do a ton of work on your own to get anything out of it. Med school is already hard enough without having to figure out what you need to learn.

Yeah, plus it costs $8 for a gallon of milk. EIGHT DOLLARS! Them's crack prices!

Nah, there's more like 6 OOS spots.

However, they interview ~100 people for those six spots. I was one of those, but I'm not expecting anything to come from it...

I think if Whitney Houston has taught us anything, it's that crack, in fact, is whack.

Whitney Houston only got better with crack. I live in Detroit, that drug has done wonderful things for our city, don't you ever diss rocks!

Members don't see this ad :)
OP, I was thinking the exact same thought this summer.
I mean, it's Hawaii, you could go to the beach in your spare time.
It's warm, tropical, and freaking expensive for OOS students.
The tuition fee is projected to steadily increase over the next four years.
$45000 -> $51000 -> $56000 -> $61000
That was the major reason I didn't apply, beside it being very competitive for OOS students.

http://jabsom.hawaii.edu/JABSOM/admissions/mdprogram.php

Whitney Houston only got better with crack. I live in Detroit, that drug has done wonderful things for our city, don't you ever diss rocks!

God, I miss you Cheeto!! Don't know if you have read much SDN of late, but they all take themselves SOOOO seriously. Crazy boring. Miss the crew.

We need an "SDN Entering Class of 2008" reunion. Wanna start a thread?

since everyone is on the topic, why is PBL have such a bad rap in the medical student community?

since everyone is on the topic, why is PBL have such a bad rap in the medical student community?
PBL means you- the wee little medical student- has to determine what you're supposed to learn, as MilkmanAl pointed out.

Enter Wikipedia.

In this case, literally: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem-based_learning

Also: http://www.wvsom.edu/applicants/pbl.cfm

I heard that most of the schools who went PBL have swung back.

Instead of lectures, you get the kind of groupwork you did in middle school.

Yeah, plus it costs $8 for a gallon of milk. EIGHT DOLLARS! Them's crack prices!

QFT

Not to mention you get this weird/strange feeling that you're stuck on a small rock in the middle of the pacific. But all it takes is a 700$ plane ticket to go somewhere!

The amount of work involved with PBL definitely varies depending on your school. At Pitt, we had a few PBLs for each class first year (only 1 science class at a time) and I thought they were pretty interesting. Our only work outside of the PBL was creating a powerpoint presentation on some topic related to the PBL and those presentations took like 15 minutes to make. It wasn't bad and in my opinion, the PBLs were a nice break from lectures.

Second year, though, we've had no PBLs--only workshops, which are set up differently and are really helpful.

So before you take a school off of your list because they use PBL, make sure you know how much PBL there actually is and what the students have to do because of it! It doesn't have to be evil ;)

So before you take a school off of your list because they use PBL, make sure you know how much PBL there actually is and what the students have to do because of it! It doesn't have to be evil ;)

+1

80% of the 125 U.S. Medical Schools have some form of PBL in their curriculum. Only about 25 have what is considered a true PBL curriculum.

So what does that mean? It means that chances are you'll have to do some form of PBL at the medical school you attend. It also means that all PBL curriculums are not the same. PBL means very different things at different schools.

I'm not sure why people who haven't experienced PBL feel the need to bash it based on what they think it is like. It reminds me of 40 Year Old Virgin when he describes breasts as bags of sand. Yeah, it's exactly like that. :rolleyes:

There is so much variation in curriculum that you can't pigeon hole them. Find out about the curriculum at the schools you are applying to. If the school gives you a chance to talk to current students about the curriculum during interviews or second looks or whatever, do it.

I go to a PBL heavy school. I find it intellectually stimulating, it provides a context of relevance, and is fun. Yeah, I said it. My medical school is fun.

Seriously, if you don't like PBL don't apply to a PBL school. There are a few traditional curriculums perfectly preserved from the 1960's still hanging around and looking for applicants.

Oh, and if you're interested in learning about a well implemented PBL curriculum, read this:

Problem-Based Learning Outcomes: Ten Years of Experience at the University of Missouri-Columbia School of Medicine. Academic Medicine. July 2006 - Volume 81 - Issue 7.

Last edited:
I don't think people are bashing PBL as in used to small degrees in schools so much as those schools that use a true PBL system aka 110% PBL and no lecture at all.