why is tuition in texas so cheap!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coreyb

Dentist
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked before---but why is in-state tuition in Texas so cheap? It seems almost impossibly low priced in comparison to the rest of the country.

CB :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

lower than North Carolina??

Members don't see this ad :)
Who wants to be in the sweltering area of Texas? I have cousins who have said that the heat is unbearable because of the humidity. Also, tornado alley.

Of course, I'm just playing as Texas does have great metropolitan areas. What's my point? Who cares!

Originally posted by turbon
lower than North Carolina??

We'll compare flagship to flagship, as determined by USNews:

Carolina (Chapel Hill):
2001-2002 Expenses
In-State Tuition: $5,153
Out-of-State Tuition: $28,156
Required fees: $942
Room and board: $20,205

Tejas (UTSW):
2001-2002 Expenses
In-State Tuition: $6,920
Out-of-State Tuition: $20,020
Required fees: $882
Room and board: $17,788

Just for fun, I'll throw in some other top-ranked state schools...

UCSF:
2001-2002 Expenses
In-State Tuition: N/A
Out-of-State Tuition: $10,704
Required fees: $10,340
Room and board: $14,508

UW:
2001-2002 Expenses
In-State Tuition: $10,142
Out-of-State Tuition: $25,668
Required fees: $400
Room and board: $12,240

UCLA:
2001-2002 Expenses
Required fees: $10,173
Room and board: $11,025

UCSD:
2001-2002 Expenses
Required fees: $10,570
Room and board: $10,004

And I'll throw in Baylor, since they do the in-state tuition thing:
2001-2002 Expenses
In-state tuition: $7,518
Out-of-state tuition: $20,618
Required fees: $968
Room and board: $16,559

So in conclusion, Carolina is definitely cheaper in state (as I expected), but a lot more expensive out of state. North Carolina is pretty generous about college education. NC residents even get an automatic state legislature grant from the State of NC if they go to a private college in North Carolina. When I applied to undergrad, it was around $1350. Not sure if this applies for med school or not.

Tejas has oil money? Pitt has in state tution, but it's still $24K-ish (vs. 32K). Notice that while the UCs are mostly the same, where they vary a little is in living cost. How is UTSW more expensive for living costs than UCSF???? Similarly, how does Carolina have more expensive room and board than either of them??? I'm not convinced the room and board numbers are accurate.

-RA

I guess Carolina offset their low in-state tuition with really high out-of-state tution.

don't get jealous just because everything is better in texas

Originally posted by turbon
I guess Carolina offset their low in-state tuition with really high out-of-state tution.

Well last year's statistics show only 17 people from outside of NC at Carolina med admitted. Let's calculate, assuming an $8000 difference between UTSW and Carolina. Multiply by 4 classes, you get:
17 * 4 * $8000 = $544,000.

Take that, and divide it by the 143 in state students, times 4 again:
$544,000 / 4 / 143 = $951.

UTSW is still about $816 more than $5153 + $951.

-RA

Originally posted by seaworthc
don't get jealous just because everything is better in texas

This attitude is why I advocate Alaska's cutting their state in two so that there are two states bigger than Texas...

-RA

This attitude is why I advocate Alaska's cutting their state in two so that there are two states bigger than Texas...

-RA

I don't think that would work. Texans only get really boastful once they leave the state and since I am New Orleans, I now proudly display special Texas flag license plates. Inside state lines, no one cares.

I really miss my breakfast tacos! :(

tExas is in mExico or in US?

should have paid attention in my geography class.

don't knock it until you try it!

Originally posted by seaworthc
don't knock it until you try it!

I already tried it - can I knock it? ;)

Originally posted by the boy wonder
I already tried it - can I knock it? ;)

Can't back out on my word can I? Wouldn't want admission committees to know I didn't have any integrity.

Spill.

I would rather lay in the dirt in Texas, than on a velvet couch anywhere else (except if I get into medschool there!)

Getting back on the original topic, it should be noted that out of state students at UT-Southwestern pay 5,500 (1,000 less than instaters) because of a scholarship.