Why isn't everyone sending off the letter to the president of AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SMW

Grand Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
C'mon guys. Where are you JenniferC15, E'01, korphan, Legi, ScoobyDoo, moo, kutastha, CU in MD school, loarp, SmokeThis, Bruin4Life, Amy Beth, media, spacecadet, kobe8, md2be06 and everyone else who feels like we got royally shafted by AMCAS this year?
The letter's on p. 4 of the "letter to the president of AMCAS" thread. Just copy it to a word processing program, print it, and send it off. It'll take you a few minutes, and might do us all some good. You'll feel better, anyway. And then post at the end of the thread, so we'll have some idea of how many people sent the letter. C'mon now, everyone was so enthused about the letter idea to start with.

Members don't see this ad.

Why not? You must admit that they're not doing what we paid them (in some cases quite a lot) of money to do. Plus they're doing a few things that we didn't pay them to do -- like processing things out of order, losing transcripts and then penalizing the applicant for their mistake, etc. I ralize I'm preaching to the choir here. But I do think that asking for the refund is mostly a rhetorical device to make clear how we don't feel like we're getting our money's worth. I think there's almost no chance they'd grant even a partial refund unless someone sues, but the fact that lots of people feel strongly enough to write and ask for one might give them something to think about. Anyway, those are my thoughts for what they're worth.

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand the argument about not getting what we pay for, but when you agree to have AMCAS process and send off your application, you don't agree to a timeline. As long as they send your application off, you do get what you pay for. We should not be requesting money back from AMCAS. If you want to bring down AMCAS, we should be requesting the medical schools find an alternative for the future.

I know everyone's grumpy at all the trouble, not getting processed, et al. We have every right to be. I'm not trying to say you're wrong, nor minimize your struggle. I go through it too. I know my view is not shared by anyone on this forum, but personally I will jump through whatever hoops are presented to me. I do not find it acceptable, but I will do whatever it takes to go to medical school. I've waited six years to finally have the credentials to even get an interview - I will tolerate whatever obstacle they throw my way for me to achieve this dream. For me, the end will justify the means.

Andrew

I hear what you're saying Andrew.

On one hand, I definitely feel AMCAS should be giving partial refunds.

But do I realistically think thats going to happen? No.

Just because they dont have a guarantee doesnt mean that they shouldnt give out some kind of refund.

And JUST because they dont give a written timeline guarantee doesnt necessarily mean they wouldnt be culpable in a civil suit. There have been many cases where judges have forced companies to reimburse customers, even when technically the company made no guarantee of a particular sort of service. Civil courts CAN use common sense as a method of determining liability, and its not SOLELY determined by written contract.

However, I think AMCAS will escape legal problems due to other issues, not simply because they never gave us a written guarantee.

SMW, I will print a copy out and send it off. I've just been extremely busy the last few weeks doing secondaries and going back to school. But I'll get to it this weekend.

Done. Thanks for the reminder.

SMW, I put my letter in the mail today.

I didn't send that letter. However on Monday my lawyer is sending a letter demanding they process my application from 11 weeks ago. Will post when I hear back from them. He addressed it to the President of AMCAS.