Why isn't medical transcription a more viable option for medical student to mak

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since I've had transcription experience (but not a lot) I was wondering why there weren't any posts about medical transcription as a way to make money on the side for people who've had transcription experience. I would think you could learn a lot doing it, even if it is not direct patient experience and you can't claim it as research experience, etc. is it partly because the industry frowns upon hiring me students (even those with experience) because they know won't be doing it over the long term.....?

Members don't see this ad.

I would imagine that many medical students have a skill set, from an old job or otherwise, that could be used on the side to make money during medical school, but that's not really the point.

Members don't see this ad :)
Many of those transcription jobs have dried up due to EHR. My mother did transcription for many years, and she wound up losing her job because the practice went to EHR.

Reactions: 1 user
slightly unpleasant return to 1998 ... healthit.gov.

I guess it takes a long time to escape from things that are completely nebulous and electronic and called something like "Security Risk Assessment Tool"...

Which is, of course, about patient health record privacy.. I have no doubt about that one.

the hits keep coming... The Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC) ? I wonder how much power they have... :)
thanks for this

Last edited: