Why isn't this place more like pre-allo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j-weezy

MS1
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So is it merely a lack of pre-physician scientists that keeps this little forum so harmonious? Or are we just nicer?

I think we're more logical and therefore understand that chewing out an anonymous poster is worthless.

please add (i'm trying to help you procrastinate - I need to read a paper and go TA)

Members don't see this ad.

we're just too lazy to post mean things...we already waste our hatred and bitterness at the stupid gel that didn't work

it's a real community because a lot of us bump into each other on interviews, so nobody is really anonymous (granted, by our own volition). And our road is too long to endlessly quibble over inane details (notice the neurotic thread is dormant).

Members don't see this ad :)
So is it merely a lack of pre-physician scientists that keeps this little forum so harmonious? Or are we just nicer?

I think we're more logical and therefore understand that chewing out an anonymous poster is worthless.

please add (i'm trying to help you procrastinate - I need to read a paper and go TA)
I think research premed types tend to be more serious about school than the average premed, so there isn't as much angst and drama in this forum. For example, I've never seen any threads in here asking about how being arrested for underage drinking might affect your chances of getting into med school, what to do if a girl in your class got a higher grade because she has large breasts, or whether adcoms will disapprove if you join a frat. These were just not issues that I ever thought about even for one second as an UG, and I suspect many of you all don't, either. ;)

(Basically, I'm saying that most if not all of us are big nerds.)

I think research premed types tend to be more serious about school than the average premed, so there isn't as much angst and drama in this forum. For example, I've never seen any threads in here asking about how being arrested for underage drinking might affect your chances of getting into med school, what to do if a girl in your class got a higher grade because she has large breasts, or whether adcoms will disapprove if you join a frat. These were just not issues that I ever thought about even for one second as an UG, and I suspect many of you all don't, either. ;)

Seriously! Research was my recreational activity in college and often, sadly, my Friday night date :cool:. And let's face it, contrary to medicine, no one does research "for the chicks" ;)

Unless your Kary Mullis, who invented PCR so he could spend more time with chicks and to photograph them naked under multi-colored light. His wasted too much time copying plasmid DNA the long way.

Supposedly, that's what is in his book, or so says my friend...

This is certainly true. Let me add that it's possible that the ones who are being the most obnoxious are the ones who are most anxious about medicine as a potential career path. (There are plenty of perfectly chill pre-allos, but you don't notice them for precisely that reason.) We, on the other hand, are firmly committed to being in school forever and not making a lot of money.

Let me also say that, on those occasions I've had to interview/tour/whatever with pre-allo types, there's always at least one who is very hung up on things like the grading curve used there, which is something that I and, presumably, most other MD/PhD types don't care about. Just throwing that out there, as part of a general trend.

Unless you meet the occasional MSTP applicant who will ask "I'm going to be blunt...your school doesn't have as many HHMI or NAS researchers as other schools...how do you compensate for that?"

Seriously! Research was my recreational activity in college and often, sadly, my Friday night date :cool:. And let's face it, contrary to medicine, no one does research "for the chicks" ;)
Likewise. I've always been happier to stay home and read a book rather than going out to a club or a party. And it works out well for those of us who *are* the chicks in science, b/c we're the minority. Of course, as the inimitable Jorge Cham said: the odds may be good, but the goods are odd. ;)

(For those of you who have yet to be introduced to PhD comics: here is the reference. Jorge Cham was a Stanford grad student, and it's humor that any grad student can identify with immediately. He started this comic strip the same semester I started grad school. Ah, the good old days. :) If you have time between your gels and whatever other things you all are torturing with those pipettes of yours, read the archives from start to finish. I promise you that you won't be disappointed, but don't blame me if you don't get any work done for a few hours.)

haha this just brings up memories of going back to lab after parties and being super super lame even at 2am. What can I say - cells are on their own clock.

haha this just brings up memories of going back to lab after parties and being super super lame even at 2am. What can I say - cells are on their own clock.

I've had those nights too, Weezy... Though I'm even lamer because there was never a party in the mix!:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Whoever ends up at an MSTP with me WILL party! I'll see to it! :smuggrin:
Nerd parties don't count. You're still being a nerd. ;)

When I was in college, we had a Natural Sciences Christmas party each year, and we'd invite the Social Science and Humanities majors. The chem people would make "punch" in a huge beaker and add dry ice so it was all smokey and mad science lab-looking. The nonscience folks absolutely loved it. But those of us who had spent any time in chem never drank it--we knew too much about where that glassware had been. :laugh:

Nerd parties don't count. You're still being a nerd. ;)

When I was in college, we had a Natural Sciences Christmas party each year, and we'd invite the Social Science and Humanities majors. The chem people would make "punch" in a huge beaker and add dry ice so it was all smokey and mad science lab-looking. The nonscience folks absolutely loved it. But those of us who had spent any time in chem never drank it--we knew too much about where that glassware had been. :laugh:

it's ok if it's triply rinsed...

Or rinsed in sulfuric/nitric acid and then rinsed 5x with distilled water.

Or rinsed in sulfuric/nitric acid and then rinsed 5x with distilled water.

boo for acid-washing. Too many people in my lab acid wash glassware (RNA) and don't clean the sink area properly - thus 90% of my tshirts have holes in them..

boo for acid-washing. Too many people in my lab acid wash glassware (RNA) and don't clean the sink area properly - thus 90% of my tshirts have holes in them..
Two things:

1) I like that you quote your own posts and carry the convo on by yourself when no one else is around. :laugh:

2) I especially like that you are now debating about how to wash the glassware. :D

Don't feel bad. I have tons of holey shirts and jeans from chem lab too. Though I threw a bunch of them out when I started med school. :(

Two things:

1) I like that you quote your own posts and carry the convo on by yourself when no one else is around. :laugh:

2) I especially like that you are now debating about how to wash the glassware. :D

Don't feel bad. I have tons of holey shirts and jeans from chem lab too. Though I threw a bunch of them out when I started med school. :(

well I have to give lurkers SOMETHING to ponder....

Actually I like to keep things rolling in this forum otherwise it gets stagnant. Now I'll admit I'm not some sensei poster - I'm just here for entertainment!

lurkers remind me of that awesome zerg unit in broodwars that dealt massive damage. lurker rush ftw!

heres an even older one....which game was this from?

"ahhhh....fresh meat!"

Hey guys, I'm a pre-mud-phud hopeful. I've just been lurking around reading your threads and wishing you guys the best of luck with your applications and such.

I've only done one semester of college, and after realizing that mudphudding was where it's at, I have some serious work to do on my GPA, but I'm working on it! :)

Hey guys, I'm a pre-mud-phud hopeful. I've just been lurking around reading your threads and wishing you guys the best of luck with your applications and such.

I've only done one semester of college, and after realizing that mudphudding was where it's at, I have some serious work to do on my GPA, but I'm working on it! :)

so long as you aren't a robo-doctor putting everyone out of business!

oh - and that's just my witty way of saying WELCOME!

-j

Welcome. :) It's good that you've joined SDN so early on; you have plenty of time to pull your GPA up before it comes time to apply for med school. I assume from your previous post that you've been doing some research already, which is great, but don't spend so much time on it that your school work suffers.

BTW, my recommendation for study advice is to ask upperclassmen, TAs, and/or your profs for tips to get better grades in your classes. You may know the material well, but not be studying effectively for that particular prof's tests. In that case, you need to learn how to be a savvier testtaker. If the prof lets people keep their old tests, see if you can get copies from an upperclassman so that you can get an idea of what kinds of questions the prof asks and practice doing them. Sometimes profs even hand out old exams, so definitely take advantage of that if they do. Also, go to test review sessions; when I was teaching organic, I'd work sample problems during the review sessions that were amazingly similar to the test problems. It always astounded me how few of my ostensible gunner premed students came to them, but the ones who did invariably made As. FWIW, I am also a big fan of doing a little work every day instead of trying to cram for a couple of days before the test. :luck: to you. :)

robo, I like your avitar ;)

Welcome. :) It's good that you've joined SDN so early on; you have plenty of time to pull your GPA up before it comes time to apply for med school. I assume from your previous post that you've been doing some research already, which is great, but don't spend so much time on it that your school work suffers.

BTW, my recommendation for study advice is to ask upperclassmen, TAs, and/or your profs for tips to get better grades in your classes. You may know the material well, but not be studying effectively for that particular prof's tests. In that case, you need to learn how to be a savvier testtaker. If the prof lets people keep their old tests, see if you can get copies from an upperclassman so that you can get an idea of what kinds of questions the prof asks and practice doing them. Sometimes profs even hand out old exams, so definitely take advantage of that if they do. Also, go to test review sessions; when I was teaching organic, I'd work sample problems during the review sessions that were amazingly similar to the test problems. It always astounded me how few of my ostensible gunner premed students came to them, but the ones who did invariably made As. FWIW, I am also a big fan of doing a little work every day instead of trying to cram for a couple of days before the test. :luck: to you. :)

Great advice. Just to add my 2 cents about studying advice: do a lot of it. Seriously, I've encountered all sorts of different strategies for studying and doing well in college, but most people that do well simply found one and then work really hard at it. My personal strategy was to always go to class (profs almost invariably focus on the material they covered in lecture, and this then helps to narrow your studying), never go to office hours (very inefficient; always a ton of ass-kissers crowding you out), start studying well before an exam, and be sure to set aside a good chunk of time the day before or day of the exam as well. Don't worry, one semester is nothing--most people do poorly their first semester and end up with a great GPA, so you'll be fine.

Also, I was in your position 3ish years ago and I can promise you that this board is an amazing resource. For the next couple years try to check in once a day and peruse. You will learn a ton about the application process, and more importantly, it will help you decide if this is the right path for you. Don't hesitate to ask questions!

Great advice. Just to add my 2 cents about studying advice: do a lot of it. Seriously, I've encountered all sorts of different strategies for studying and doing well in college, but most people that do well simply found one and then work really hard at it. My personal strategy was to always go to class (profs almost invariably focus on the material they covered in lecture, and this then helps to narrow your studying), never go to office hours (very inefficient; always a ton of ass-kissers crowding you out), start studying well before an exam, and be sure to set aside a good chunk of time the day before or day of the exam as well. Don't worry, one semester is nothing--most people do poorly their first semester and end up with a great GPA, so you'll be fine.

Also, I was in your position 3ish years ago and I can promise you that this board is an amazing resource. For the next couple years try to check in once a day and peruse. You will learn a ton about the application process, and more importantly, it will help you decide if this is the right path for you. Don't hesitate to ask questions!

Wow, Solitude, you and I have completely different studying philosophies... but then again, I'm a minimalist. (*Pickles cringes at the thought that she might fail out of med school*)

Thanks for the warm reception and great advice! I'll definitely stop by and lurk...errr, peruse. ;)

I'm not sure where my avatar is from. I found it somewhere on the wide, wild internets. :D

Wow, Solitude, you and I have completely different studying philosophies... but then again, I'm a minimalist. (*Pickles cringes at the thought that she might fail out of med school*)

haha so you are a never-go-to-class crammer? Hey if it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)

"My Life For Aiur."

And also:

"It's about time."

Zealot and marine? That dude from the cinematic trailer says that last line but I can't recall whether marines ever said it.

Someone try this one:

"We're ready master..."
"I'm not ready!"

Re: why this forum isn't like pre-allo

I think it's a combination of things people have mentioned already, namely, lack of anonymity, a smaller community of interviewers who bump into each other all the time (so no 'faceless' online bullies or victims), nerdier/nicer personalities in general and perhaps a feeling that we have a sufficiently long and difficult road ahead of us that we don't need to add to the drama by being mean to each other. I think we have a much healthier attitude here. Plus, we've all been goal-oriented and hard-working for a long time already, so we're not waking up at the last moment to the reality of applying to med school, including how competitive the applicant pool is.

Great advice. Just to add my 2 cents about studying advice: do a lot of it. Seriously, I've encountered all sorts of different strategies for studying and doing well in college, but most people that do well simply found one and then work really hard at it. My personal strategy was to always go to class (profs almost invariably focus on the material they covered in lecture, and this then helps to narrow your studying), never go to office hours (very inefficient; always a ton of ass-kissers crowding you out), start studying well before an exam, and be sure to set aside a good chunk of time the day before or day of the exam as well.

:thumbup: to most of this. Pickles, I don't know how you manage to pull off the good grades you need to get into an MSTP with cramming and not going to class; seriously, hats off to you. :) I'm a lot more like Solitude in this respect; I need to go to lecture and do a little work every day to absorb all the material, and I seldom do well when I have to cram. I know people who can, and it's a little frightening.

However, unlike Solitude, I do go to office hours, either the professor's or the TA's, depending on which I find more helpful. And yes, I do find them helpful; in fact, I learned far more in my orgo professor's office hours than from lecture (and he was a fabulous lecturer, so that's saying a lot). I went to a small, liberal-artsy high school, which had small class sizes, meaning lots of group discussions and plenty of interaction with the teacher even in math/science classes. I found that learning actively by asking questions on the material as they cropped up and listening to other students' questions helped me cement the material in my mind. I carried some of this into college, though obviously I got used to lectures. Depending on your learning style, office hours don't have to be unproductive, and not all of us who go to them regularly are "ass-kissers." :)

Also, I'm a big fan of study groups; they can expedite the learning process, provided one doesn't rely on them exclusively to get one's studying done. Some time spent studying alone is necessary, IMO. Also, everyone in the group has to do some of the work/studying before they meet to go over the material - it's much more productive that way. My friends and I got each other through some of the toughest classes in college (premed or not) in this manner.

Likewise. I've always been happier to stay home and read a book rather than going out to a club or a party. And it works out well for those of us who *are* the chicks in science, b/c we're the minority.

I can identify with those wanting to stay at home and read a book instead of partying, and I've been stuck at lab late at night more often than I like to admit. As for the last remark QofQ made, I certainly hope that's true... ;)

We could always make it more like the pre-allo forum, if you want. I think it could be fun! Here's a made-up sample thread:

HardCoreApplcnt2008: Guys, I have a 2.9 GPA and a 28 on the MCAT. What do you think my chances are of getting in at a good school?

MedSinceIWas6: Slim to none. You have no hope. You're a pathetic applicant and a pathetic person.

Pediatrics4Eva: HAHAHAHAHAHA Good F'ing luck!

I_V_Leaguer: Maybe if you redid your entire degree. Loser.

Pediatrics4Eva: Good one, I_V.

I_V_Leaguer: Thanks, peds. Now I'm off to proofread my Nature paper. Cuz I'm so good at science like that.

MedSinceIWas6: Pfff. I've already been published in Science. Nature sucks.

I_V_Leaguer: Screw you, Med.

HardCoreApplcnt2008: Guys?

Can you tell I'm bored?

Yea you are bored.

I guess the simple answer to why the MD/PhD forums is not like pre-allo is because of this - we are cooler.

We could always make it more like the pre-allo forum, if you want. I think it could be fun! Here's a made-up sample thread:

HardCoreApplcnt2008: Guys, I have a 2.9 GPA and a 28 on the MCAT. What do you think my chances are of getting in at a good school?

MedSinceIWas6: Slim to none. You have no hope. You're a pathetic applicant and a pathetic person.

Pediatrics4Eva: HAHAHAHAHAHA Good F'ing luck!

I_V_Leaguer: Maybe if you redid your entire degree. Loser.

Pediatrics4Eva: Good one, I_V.

I_V_Leaguer: Thanks, peds. Now I'm off to proofread my Nature paper. Cuz I'm so good at science like that.

MedSinceIWas6: Pfff. I've already been published in Science. Nature sucks.

I_V_Leaguer: Screw you, Med.

HardCoreApplcnt2008: Guys?

Can you tell I'm bored?

bored but hilarious.

I guess the simple answer to why the MD/PhD forums is not like pre-allo is because of this - we are cooler.

Trolls only hit the bigger targets. I think the biggest jekrs would find the PhD bit to be a waste of time considering it doesn't do much for prestige and earnings potential so they don't post here. We have had a few trolls over the years... It's been awhile since our last one. THAT'S NOT AN INVITATION! Then again maybe we're so far down on the list now nobody can even find us on the main page :laugh:

Trolls only hit the bigger targets. I think the biggest jekrs would find the PhD bit to be a waste of time considering it doesn't do much for prestige and earnings potential so they don't post here. We have had a few trolls over the years... It's been awhile since our last one. THAT'S NOT AN INVITATION! Then again maybe we're so far down on the list now nobody can even find us on the main page :laugh:

basically - having to scroll endlessly doesn't make it easy!

that's basically the main reason why i ever end up on pre-allo anymore... that 1.3 extra seconds of holding the down arrow kills me.

basically - having to scroll endlessly doesn't make it easy!

that's basically the main reason why i ever end up on pre-allo anymore... that 1.3 extra seconds of holding the down arrow kills me.

hey that 1.3 seconds over a lifetime could be the difference between getting carpal tunnel and NOT getting carpal tunnel.

Moral of the story: none.

I get carpal tunnel playing the wii.

I'm bored and somehow I thought people would care.

haha, that sentiment precedes most of my posts, seraph... but let's just say i care ;)

You mean you don't have it saved on your bookmark toolbar...or your homepage?

*Okay, I've sat here for about 2 hours now, staring at SDN accomplishing nothing. This addict is signing off!*

I just ventured into pre-allo (the internet ran out of other things to do) and I feel a little nauseous....

But pre-allo has some of the most interesting threads you can imagine! So many trolls and neurotic pre-meds!