Why Jefferson?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flabergaber

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As of now Jefferson is my only acceptance and I have not been hearing happy things from the other schools I interviewed, SO I am taking my Jefferson acceptance more seriously, but I really don't know much about the attractions of the school. I am a bit turned off by the 255 class size and the lack of diversity my host mentioned to me. Everyone raves about their fellow classmates, which I like, but are they known for any special programs or specialties? I plan on going to the second look to learn more, but I was wondering if anyone could provide more information about why people chose Jefferson? What do you find attractive about it/what are you looking forward to going there? Anyone know how well they match?

Any information would be very useful! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

.location-- I love Philly
.MPH dual degree in Johns Hopkins (top in nation for the program)
.Opportunity for international clerkships; I get the feeling that they're very flexible and supportive in where you do your elective

As of now Jefferson is my only acceptance and I have not been hearing happy things from the other schools I interviewed, SO I am taking my Jefferson acceptance more seriously, but I really don't know much about the attractions of the school.

I'm a Jefferson student, so hopefully I can help.

I am a bit turned off by the 255 class size and the lack of diversity my host mentioned to me.

I actually like a bigger class size. Granted, I've only attended Jefferson, but, since you're in such close quarters with these people, and the school year is sooo long (August to June!), I think you need buffer space, so you don't kill each other. I remembered going to Governor's school when I was in high school, and 5 weeks in close proximity with the same 60 people was awful - by the 4th week we were at each other's throats. I don't feel lost in a crowd or just another number, and, since you do so many things in small group sessions, you get to know quite a number of people really closely. In addition, since most people live near campus, everyone knows everyone else, just because they live so close. The professors have been teaching at Jeff for years (some are even alumni), and they know how to manage a large class without making you feel lost and faceless.

I don't know what your host told you by "lack of diversity." There are fewer foreign exchange students - this isn't undergrad - and, based on what people have said, there are fewer African American or Hispanic students than at other schools. I don't know why that is - the Minority Affairs office works overtime to make minority students feel at home. I don't think it's anything that Jefferson is doing wrong - I think it's just a vicious cycle: Minority students hear that there aren't many minorities here, so they don't come either. They have so many programs here that celebrate diversity and other cultures, so it's not like it's a white-boy club here. (I'm not white and I don't feel marginalized in any way, so don't worry!)

Everyone raves about their fellow classmates, which I like, but are they known for any special programs or specialties?

JeffHOPE, JeffHOPE, JeffHOPE. JeffHope is huge, and a really popular program among students. People tend to like it a lot. There are a lot of student activities here that are pretty active.

Jefferson has a good family med program, and, if you're interested in community health, there are a lot of opportunities to see patients even as a first year. Plus, all the attendings here are so helpful and willing to let students tag along as they do rounds in the hospital or as they see patients, so it's really easy. Jefferson also has good ophtho departments (Wills Eye is a great hospital), as well as a great ortho department (Rothman institute). Students, I think, tend to match well, because there's so many advisors and mentors to help you map out the process early. Right now, all the 4th years are holding seminars, teaching the 3rd years what to look for when THEY start the match process next year.

Hope this helps ease some of your concerns. Good luck! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
there pretty well known for orthopaedics
(Rothman Institute)

I remembered going to Governor's school when I was in high school, and 5 weeks in close proximity with the same 60 people was awful - by the 4th week we were at each other's throats.

Ahhh, Gov school. *Sniff Sniff*

thanks for all the help you guys! especially you smq123. I really appreciate you taking the time to address my doubts. I am looking forward to learning more at the revisit weekend!

Actually I don't want to let this thread die yet. I really liked Jefferson when I came to visit, but some of the reviews I've read since then have talked about a very competitive atmosphere. Obviously this is medical school; I don't expect fluffiness and bunnnies, but can somebody comment on how the academic vibe plays out, at least during the first two years? Do people help each other out? Study together?

Actually I don't want to let this thread die yet. I really liked Jefferson when I came to visit, but some of the reviews I've read since then have talked about a very competitive atmosphere. Obviously this is medical school; I don't expect fluffiness and bunnnies, but can somebody comment on how the academic vibe plays out, at least during the first two years? Do people help each other out? Study together?

Where did you read these reviews about a "competitive atmosphere"?

It actually is kind of like fluffiness and bunnies, really. Each course website includes a class discussion board, where people post study materials and links to helpful websites. Two girls have been especially prolific (one posts path study guides, the other posts pharm charts), that people have joked that they deserve a portion of our tuition. People are so grateful, and have no trouble expressing that. Classes are never graded on a curve, so there's absolutely no use in putting down other people. And I think that it's universally understood among the students that being a good team player is an important asset in a doctor.

People here are pretty ambitious and motivated - sure. I guess that you could call that "competitive," i.e. competitive against yourself. But trying to compete against other people is just a waste of time, because the system is not designed to make that mind-set advantageous.

Hey OP,
Thanks for posting this thread because I, too, have the same questions about Jefferson. I don't know anyone who knows anything about Jefferson and the only info I have on the school is what I received on interview day. I think the best bet is going to 2nd look, but I have a conflict in schedule for that weekend so I won't be attending.

Thanks smq for your input! I was just wondering though, a little about finances. I know that there are course material online, but are there books that we need to purchase and about how much do they run for 1st year? Also, how is financial aid in distributing funds? I'm planning to set aside some money for a couple months rent for student housing but there I'm sure there are going to be other expenses and I'm just a little concerned if financial aid will kick in on time.

Thanks for the response smq123. That's really encouraging to hear. I was mainly talking about

http://www.amsa.org/premed/medsurvey/

where a few comments referenced a somewhat non-supportive atmosphere from both students and faculty.

Thanks for the response smq123. That's really encouraging to hear. I was mainly talking about

http://www.amsa.org/premed/medsurvey/

where a few comments referenced a somewhat non-supportive atmosphere from both students and faculty.

Oh...That actually really pisses me off (not at you, though). That's INCREDIBLY irresponsible of AMSA not to include the date those comments were made. Those comments are at least 5-6 years old. The clue is when they refer to a "new Dean" - Dean Nasca was appointed in 2000/2001. Dean Gomella, who was the previous dean, was old school and not open to change. Dean Nasca's totally different - you'll see quite a lot him if you come to Jeff. He always speaks during orientation, and then he actually teaches lectures in the 1st year physio course (he's a nephrologist). Dean Nasca always talks about how, once we leave med school, the main thing that we'll remember will not be the classes, or the studying, or the library - the thing that we'll remember are our classmates and teachers. This is to encourage us to help each other out, academically and emotionally.

That is truly, truly annoying of AMSA - sorry for the little rant. Suffice it to say that things have dramatically changed in the last few years! :)

Hey OP,
Thanks for posting this thread because I, too, have the same questions about Jefferson. I don't know anyone who knows anything about Jefferson and the only info I have on the school is what I received on interview day. I think the best bet is going to 2nd look, but I have a conflict in schedule for that weekend so I won't be attending.

Thanks smq for your input! I was just wondering though, a little about finances. I know that there are course material online, but are there books that we need to purchase and about how much do they run for 1st year? Also, how is financial aid in distributing funds? I'm planning to set aside some money for a couple months rent for student housing but there I'm sure there are going to be other expenses and I'm just a little concerned if financial aid will kick in on time.

Hi - I'm sending you a PM because it's a lot of info. Feel free to copy and paste it in the Jeff 2011 thread if you like, though.