Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

why medicine?????

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by beamer, Mar 31, 2002.

1. beamer

beamer New Member

why did u guys chose to go into medicine? i'm a confused junior in high school and my parents want me to have a focus- everyone thinks i should go into medicine, but should I? i don't even know if i want to be a doctor.

i'm easily grossed out by worms, bugs, and needles, but i didn't mind the dissections of the frog, rat, and earthworm at school.

btw, i don't want to kill anyone on the job.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. altaskier

altaskier Altaholics Anonymous 92'
    7+ Year Member

Man....I didn't even know what I was going to do next week, let alone for the rest of my life, when I was a junior in high school. It seems you have some serious doubts about medicine and that your parents are kind of pushing you into it. It is not like you have to meet any deadlines soon! So just sit back and keep medicine an option in the back of your head. As you go through college, I think things will start to pan out for you. Maybe try volunteering with a doctor and in a hospital to see if it is even for you. Also, see if you can make it through all the rigors of undergrad (the chem, physics, bio classes), and more importantly DO YOU EVEN WANT TO MAKE IT through all of these courses. If you see that it is for you, then go for it.

Good Luck
    :)

bunchesonothing likes this.
  4. CUarzt

CUarzt Member
    7+ Year Member

ditto Altaskier

to add-- by the time you've decided what you want to do, not only will you most likely be in college, but you'll most likely wish you could go back to your junior year of highschool.

it is one thing to be focusing on a career as a junior in hs and an entirely different thing to be focusing on academics. try the latter and then you'll be in a position to focus on any career you'd like.

(man, how many times have i heard that?)

just my $.02 :rolleyes:

Gurby likes this.
  5. Jonkst

Jonkst Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

My advice to you is to think about what you want to do, but don't commit to it too strongly. I came into school as computer science, switched to computer engineering, then biomedical engineering and then finally pre-med. I know too many people in pre-medthat are doing it because its what they've always wanted to do, but really they've never given anything else a shot.

And I'm premed because I love physiology and don't really want to do research.

Good luck

6. pwrpfgrl

pwrpfgrl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

First of all, it's great that you are thinking about your future now, but don't stress about it. Sometimes it seems like you need to have everything planned out ahead of time, but very few people actually can do that.

I agree that focusing on your studies now and when you get to college is the best plan. Take what sounds interesting to you, then do well in it. do some volunteering in lots of different industries to get a taste for what's out there. My younger brother is your age and that's what I told him. Don't worry about picking an undergrad based on what you'll want to do in six (or more!) years. Any school you like will be fine, as long as you do well. and don't let your PARENTS talk you into going into medicine if it's not what YOU want - there were waaaayyy too many unhappy pre-meds at my undergrad because of this. Good luck!
    :)

bunchesonothing likes this.
  7. Stephen Curry

Stephen Curry Membership Revoked
    Removed Account on Hold

Pre-Medical
    bump. Anyone else have any insights?

8. ndafife

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Open a new thread as opposed to bumping a 13 year old one

hiphopcrates likes this.
  9. Stephen Curry

Stephen Curry Membership Revoked
    Removed Account on Hold

Pre-Medical
    I don't get it. You guys find it irritating when people post questions like these saying that they have been asked over and over. AND get mad if I bump a thread that is interesting...what is a baller supposed to do??

10. Toutie

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Because you're just randomly opening up old threads. Example is the Hello thread. Why would you re-open that particular one? It was not even about anything. And the roommates one...you had open an ancient thread to tell us you don't like roommates? How do you consider either of those threads interesting?

ndafife likes this.
  11. Mwooster

Mwooster US MD Candidate
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Continue draining 3's well above a 40% clip with his fellow Splash Bro instead of digging up old threads on SDN

Lost in Translation likes this.
  12. OnePunchBiopsy

OnePunchBiopsy General Surgery
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I like medicine because I love science and how it can be applied to DIRECTLY affect the health of people!

Also I am a terrible liar, so law school was a out of the question ;)

13. ticktock5051

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    If you want to "have a focus" I recommend spending time away from school. Take a gap year before college and pursue your interests. I did this and discovered I loved medicine serendipitiously when I earned my EMT certification. Try out different fields. You'd be surprised how many companies/employers will open their doors if you offer yourself as free help for the purpose of getting exposed to the field. You'll enter college with greater purpose and direction.

14. Turkishking

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Still early. I had an "idea" of what I wanted to do with my life during 11th grade, end of 12th grade, I found out what I wanted to do.

15. Lost in Translation

Lost in Translation 単純な馬鹿でありたい。
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Nope no way OP/necromancer, I ain't writing your PS for you.

16. Jamie561

5+ Year Member

typical pre allo response

17. Runner500

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I chose medicine for the same four reasons everybody does, chicks, money, power, and chicks.

But, since HMO's have made it virtually impossible to make any money, which directly affects the number of chicks that come sniffing around, don't ask me which tree they're barking up, because they're sure as hell not pissing on mine.

As far as power goes, well, here I am during my free time answering some high schooler's question from 15 years ago.