Why Medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DirtyJustice

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am sure I am going to have this on my interview tomorrow. How would you answer this question and / or the how do you know you are ready for medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

Really?...Stop trying to bum responses off others. Think of your own reasons.

2927e2s.gif

Why medicine?

Generic Answer: As I carefully considered [insert specific alternatives here], I realized that [insert past experience or value here] was too important for me to pursue [aforementioned alternative]. When I thought about my other [values, experiences, etc.], I realized that the most fulfilling career for me would be medicine. [Insert here something about a desire to help people, if possible].

Specific Answer: It started when [event] happened. I was [age] years old, and I [had/had not] been considering medicine before. Because of what happened when [event] occurred, I realized that medicine was a potential career for me.

[Continue with anecdote somehow involving humility, honesty, experience, and/or a moment of sudden comprehension.]

Avoid statements such as "I can't see myself doing anything else" (even if it's true) and "I HAVE to be a doctor because________".

Mostly, though, be honest. Make the course of events leading to the decision seem more interesting than they might've actually been, but keep them true. Don't talk about your cousin's struggle with MS as the key motivation for you to go into medicine if it wasn't, and for the love of God, don't even think about making a reason up.

If you don't have a specific reason (not everyone has a brother with cerebral palsy or a personal battle with some medical condition to fall back on, after all), talk more about your initial uncertainty and/or naivety and how you've evolved and what medicine itself might mean to you. Maybe say something about wanting to be a part of something [insert meaningful adjective here].

TL;DR: Be honest.

Members don't see this ad :)
How have you gotten to this point - interviews - without having considered and answered this question ad nauseam in your applications? Surely, you must have conveyed some personal and valid reason for pursuing medicine if you're getting interviews.

For each person, this answer should be relatively different. If you are at this point, you should have had to answer this question a couple of times already. Think about what attracts you to medicine and why you are going down this tough road....what do you want to achieve? what benefit could you make? etc etc. Good luck

Just say whatever. No one EVER says anything that different or unique. As long as you can articulate something, it's fine.

When I ask it, this question is essentially an idiot test. Everyone basically gives variations of the same basic themes - dramatic childhood interaction with the healthcare system, love of science, fascination with physiology, etc. - and it's a rare candidate that says something really profound. But, if you can't produce something sincere and informed in answering the one question you are 100% guaranteed to be asked, it reflects extremely poorly on how well you've prepared (and perhaps a bit on your common sense as well). That's an awful way to start an interview.

the one question you are 100% guaranteed to be asked

I keep hearing this and I'm not saying it isn't true. Its just strange, I never got this question in any interview throughout the two cycles I went through. :)

I prepared for it and had a doctor I shadowed ask me just to try and "prepare me for interviews" but never in an actual interview. I think student interviewers are more likely to ask this because as I think about it now I think my first interview last cycle was with a student who did ask something similar if my mind serves me right after so much stress and sleep (beer).

Don't say you want to help people, that's too generic. Say you love medical knowledge and want to master it or something like that... relate your interest to an intresic love of the field of medicine

lol. Isn't this something you're supposed to think about before you apply? Consider your own reasons. Memorizing someone's SDN post is not going to get you anywhere.

But if you insist, I would start off with something like, gee that's an interesting question. I never thought of that before! And then touch your chin and strike a pondering pose. =P

I am sure I am going to have this on my interview tomorrow. How would you answer this question and / or the how do you know you are ready for medicine?

Ok, tell us why you want to be a doctor. Tell us when you decided you want to be a doctor.

I think it's best that you say that you had an interest in medicine but what really made you seriously pursue it was xyz event from a few years ago that blah blah blah.

is this thread a joke? Why would you ask others why you want to go into medicine? You made the choice. Why did you make that choice? That is like the easiest question you are going to get. Its your life. Talk about it.
+1

Reread your personal statement and get inspiration from that.

how about you ask yourself why medicine? and be honest, there is no right answer.

for me I'm an RT student and I realized I love clinical meidicine, I also have a thirst for knowledge that can't be met by midlevel training. I like to be in leadership roles, I like responsibility. I like mental masturbation and the cerebral aspect. I like that the field is constantly evolving which requires you to continue your education throughout your career. and most importantly I think I'd be good at it.

ask yourself why you're about to commit the better part of your 20s to training for a job with declining salaries and unsavory lifestyles. it's a long haul to being an attending, even longer if you don't have the right reasons to get there.