why millions suffer preventable oral disease

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

darksky

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
'large numbers of children showing up at the ER presenting
with nontraumatic dental complaints or what really
amounted to untreated dental cavities.'
where are the leadership of organized dentistry ????

read this article "why millions suffer preventable oral disease" and enjoy yourself.

Members don't see this ad.

Very interesting read.

I guess the same could be asked, why is obesity such a major epidemic now? We know both obesity and poor dental care are bad for our health, I'd say thats pretty common knowledge nowadays. But yet they still continue to happen. Essentially people are now causing themselves to be sick (e.g.-dental caries, hypertension, obesity) which lead to all kinds of things such as diabetes, cancer etc. Yet both obesity and dental decay is pretty much preventable (ok, not all of it, but most of it).

Members don't see this ad :)
this was a really good article. definitely makes me happy that i'm gonna go to d school and eventually make a difference

Why do millions suffer preventable oral disease?

Largely because they are too lazy to brush their teeth, floss, or reduce their sugar intake. And parents need to do it for their young children. It's that simple.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: i can tell youve been reading a lot. your kids must have very nice teeth.
i dont think you think its that's simple ! buddy.

this was a really good article. definitely makes me happy that i'm gonna go to d school and eventually make a difference

yeh! you can make history.

1913—Alfred C. Fones opens the Fones Clinic For Dental Hygienists in Bridgeport, Connecticut, the world’s first oral hygiene school. Most of the twenty—seven women graduates of the first class are employed by the Bridgeport Board of Education to clean the teeth of school children. The greatly reduced incidence of caries among these children gives impetus to the dental hygienist movement. Dr. Fones, first to use the term “dental hygienist,” becomes known as the Father of Dental Hygiene.

Dr Fones did !!

No it isn't that 'simple' per say, but yes, it is a simple concept. Parents and kids from traditionally bad areas who have less education 'simply' do not know what a healthy diet is and the concept behind cleaning teeth.

There would be a dramatic reduction if parents took away the sugar and gave the kid a toothbrush. Simple to educate everyone on this concept? No. Simple concept? Yes. I think that is where Gavin was going.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: i can tell youve been reading a lot. your kids must have very nice teeth.
i dont think you think its that's simple ! buddy.

It is that simple...they difference is that simple isn't always easy.

If parents and chidlren throughout the word brushed correctly at least twice a day, taking their time to actually do a good job rather than just say "hey I had a toothbrush in my mouth for 2 minutes...so I guess I'm done, flossed daily, a correctly, ate less simple sugars and snacks betweeen major meals, went to the dentists for regular check ups, and recognized that oral care begins BEFORE pain occurs, then the oral problems of america and the world would greatly reduce.

It is simple...but it isn't easy because people are lazy, and simple and easy doesn't mean people do it.

Obesity is a perfect example.

How do we combat obesity...is it complex?

No...stop eating processed foods with high amounts of processed fats, eat a balanced meal with moderate caloric intake and exercise everyday at a cardiovascular rate befitting your age and weight. Is this simple? yes. Is it easy....no...cause most people are too lazy or "busy" to do it. and so they let it slide. One pizza can't hurt. McDonald's tonight is no big deal. A donut today won't hurt me. That frappaccino from starbucks doesn't have that much sugar right?