Why most assistants/personnel goodlooking?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lethstang

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Serious question Folks. Was chatting with a vet friend today and she mentioned how most of her coworkers are goodlooking youn women. And a's you all know, the majority of assistants also fall into this category in dentistry. I'm def not complaining, but why do you think this trend exists?

Members don't see this ad.

there's no trend. it's just luck

1st off you have to remember that the healthcare field overall is a field where the majority of workers (especially the staff/assistants/etc) are female.

Secondly, its also a field where the "burn out" after a while tends to hit a significant percentage of folks

When you put 1 and 2 together you tend to have a population pool consisting of a significant number of younger females

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the guy above me... and also the OP - i've noticed the trend too. One thing I think is too bad about health care is it seems men are losing their place in the US where it comes to traditional white colar careers - medicine, law, dentistry, business. Men need to step up and reclaim the "white coat".

I agree with the guy above me... and also the OP - i've noticed the trend too. One thing I think is too bad about health care is it seems men are losing their place in the US where it comes to traditional white colar careers - medicine, law, dentistry, business. Men need to step up and reclaim the "white coat".
:corny:

ToldYouSo...Let me get some of that popcorn :D.

But yes, DrJeff is spot on.

Secondly, its also a field where the "burn out" after a while tends to hit a significant percentage of folks

I'm interested in this point. Does this burnout happen to a lot of dentists as well? Or is it more generally a bigger problem for hygienists and/or dental assistants?

A woman's place is in the kitchen, right? Be sure to mention that at your interviews. :thumbup:

I'm interested in this point. Does this burnout happen to a lot of dentists as well? Or is it more generally a bigger problem for hygienists and/or dental assistants?
For many of us it's not so much "burn-out" as pregnancy that takes us out of the profession.

And no, hygienists generally have shorter careers than dentists because there is a greater rate of injury in the repetitive motion of scaling. i.e. Carpal Tunnel

p.s. 80% of my hygiene class were cheerleaders in highschool. But so were the instructors. Hmmmm.... Not much equal opportunity in my profession. Sad really.

Look, my comment wasnt directed toward womans success but mens lack of interest/success in education. There is gap - it is growing - I didn't mean for my comment to be as sexist as it sounded. Sorry.

A woman's place is in the kitchen, right? Be sure to mention that at your interviews. :thumbup: