Why no/few DO schools in US NEWS rankings?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Creightonite

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I could only find one DO school in the US NEWS primary care rankings. I heard great things about schools like PCOM, DMU, KSU... but they are not ranked. What's going on? Mich state school is #5 though.

Members don't see this ad.

I could only find one DO school in the US NEWS primary care rankings. I heard great things about schools like PCOM, DMU, KSU... but they are not ranked. What's going on? Mich state school is #5 though.

US News ranking is very subjective to NIH funding as well as average MCAT/GPA scores. As far as MSU being #5 for primary care, the primary care rankings favor schools that send a greater % of their graduates into primary care residencies. This ranking really doesn't say much else about the schools. However MSU is a great medical school, but to say that it is better than any of the other DO schools is a little far fetched. It all depends on what you are looking for in a school. To me the best ranked medical school would be that which had the highest average board scores and the least amount of debt.

Perhaps instead of coming to this board trying to create more DOvsMD drama you should figure it out yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Perhaps instead of coming to this board trying to create more DOvsMD drama you should figure it out yourself.

What fun would the pre-osteo thread be. Rarely good thoughtful questions come through this forum anymore because the good ones were answered long ago. Thus, for those really looking for answers they are just a search button away and they usually find what they want.

Most q's now that get much response at all are from people who want to fan the flames or just do a word battle. Well, at least this way I can do it sitting on my 4th point of contact, and I don't get shot at.

US News ranking is very subjective to NIH funding as well as average MCAT/GPA scores. As far as MSU being #5 for primary care, the primary care rankings favor schools that send a greater % of their graduates into primary care residencies. This ranking really doesn't say much else about the schools. However MSU is a great medical school, but to say that it is better than any of the other DO schools is a little far fetched. It all depends on what you are looking for in a school. To me the best ranked medical school would be that which had the highest average board scores and the least amount of debt.

Exactly. You need to understand the ranking methodology that is being used by USN&WR for the rankings to have any meaning for you. Unless you buy into that methodology, the rankings are pretty much bunk. As Harvey stated, you need to come up with what is important to you and use that criteria for choosing schools. If you are interesting in knowing why more DO schools aren't ranked in the USN&WR listing, I highly suggest you do your own research and analysis here. I doubt that we have any more special insight into the USN&WR methodology than you.

Like everyone else said-- it's the methodology. Research schools are ranked on a different basis from primary care schools. I'm not sure if the same criteria were used this year because I didn't take the time to read the link Spiced provided, but they used to be:

40% based on reputation by two surveys (medical school deans and senior faculty= 25%, rated on a scale of 1 to 5; residency directors= 15%, rate their top 25 choices).

30% primary care rate-- percentage of students entering primary care

15% ratio of fulltime science and cinical per student

15% student selectivity-- includes MCAT score (65%) average GPA (35%) and proportion of applicants/accepted (5%).

Then, the scores are standardized, weighted, totaled and rescaled. Most osteopathic schools won't have a chance based simply on the methodology.

those rankings are only kinda sorta good to go by. take them with a grain of salt.

Like everyone else said-- it's the methodology. Research schools are ranked on a different basis from primary care schools. I'm not sure if the same criteria were used this year because I didn't take the time to read the link Spiced provided, but they used to be:

40% based on reputation by two surveys (medical school deans and senior faculty= 25%, rated on a scale of 1 to 5; residency directors= 15%, rate their top 25 choices).

30% primary care rate-- percentage of students entering primary care

15% ratio of fulltime science and cinical per student

15% student selectivity-- includes MCAT score (65%) average GPA (35%) and proportion of applicants/accepted (5%).

Then, the scores are standardized, weighted, totaled and rescaled. Most osteopathic schools won't have a chance based simply on the methodology.

Great info as usual scpod thanks. I am guessing that is clinical? Just wanted to make sure.

Maybe my eyes are decieving me, but I see 4 DO schools

MSUCOM @ #5
OSUCOM @ #30
TCOM @ #34
WVSOM @ #50 (tie)

So that means a DO school ranked above:

Harvard (13)
Mayo (45)
Hopkins (28)
Baylor (11)
Penn (16)
Washington U (38)

Not to mention that this list of Top 50 is largely populated by state schools (>85%) (notable exceptions above) and most DO schools are NOT state schools.

$hit...I think we did pretty damn well for ourselves this time around.

4 DO schools ranked in the top 50 of the country among schools that are considered the "best" allopathic schools.

Looks like the objective of the OP (like his other recent posts) was crushed again.

I could only find one DO school in the US NEWS primary care rankings.

Your eyes are bad. I guess I cant really blame you then for the ongoing stupid posts. You just cant read the crap you are typing.

yeah, you're limited to 1 md vs do thread per century, you are already on your third this month

this has been discussed so do a search and enjoy

closing

Status
Not open for further replies.