Why no korean medical students in the midwest?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KOREAownsGando

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
got an MSAR from a friend today and wondered why no koreans get acceted to supposedly "White-people" states...

Members don't see this ad.

I was going to insult you but noticed you already did that for me.

It is possible and somewhat evident in an empirical sense of you unfortunately; that perhaps English grammar has something to do with it :D

Members don't see this ad :)
What the kimchi????

could it be that you're looking at the number of koreans that matriculated, and that perhaps koreans are indeed being accepted but electing not to attend schools in said "white" states?

pray tell, what states are you referring to? are there such things as korean states?

btw, i'm korean too

got an MSAR from a friend today and wondered why no koreans get acceted to supposedly "White-people" states...

I am walking proof that you are wrong. Texas is about as white as you can get. HOOK EM HORNS BABY

i am of the opinion that goof-nuts that are overly nationalistic shouldn't become healthcare workers. especially ethnocentric *****s.

i am of the opinion that goof-nuts that are overly nationalistic shouldn't become healthcare workers. especially ethnocentric *****s.

Bah you can't blame the fobs, they're still celebrating their independence from 1945. The party hasn't stopped yet! Texans got their independence in the early 1836, and we STILL walk around like we pwned up some crazy sh1t.

Bah you can't blame the fobs, they're still celebrating their independence from 1945. The party hasn't stopped yet! Texans got their independence in the early 1836, and we STILL walk around like we pwned up some crazy sh1t.

lol :laugh:

The pledge of allegiance to the state flag is as follows:

Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible.

The pledge was instituted by the Texas Legislature in 1933, and originally referred to the "Texas flag of 1836" (which was the Burnet Flag, and not the Lone Star Flag then in use). In 1965, the error was corrected by deleting the words "of 1836".:smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
some koreans may not have opted to check their ethnicity (undecided?)

can this babo get banned or somthing :thumbdown:

I, Korean myself, feel terrible everytime I see this kind of thread written by Koreans as others might develop wrong ideas about Koreans: Koreans are whiners. Stop complaining and be positive. If you are well qualified, you will get in.

useless thread- who cares?

I, Korean myself, feel terrible everytime I see this kind of thread written by Koreans as others might develop wrong ideas about Koreans: Koreans are whiners. Stop complaining and be positive. If you are well qualified, you will get in.

Well, I guess I am just bitter I have to take so much crap from white people and stuff. According to some of them, my 3.97 isn't good enough; they said, get 4.0 if you want our respect :thumbdown:

Well, I guess I am just bitter I have to take so much crap from white people and stuff. According to some of them, my 3.97 isn't good enough; they said get 4.0 if you want our respect :thumbdown:

That's one particular example not representing every white's idea. I have seen Korean students who got accepted to prestigious schools with 3.5 GPA and around 30 MCAT score. Can I say that 3.5 GPA and 30 MCAT is good enough to get in the top tier medical schools? You must come up with solid evidences to support your ideas before you make generalization. No Koreans get accepted to midwest schools....That's not good enough.

Well, I guess I am just bitter I have to take so much crap from white people and stuff. According to some of them, my 3.97 isn't good enough; they said, get 4.0 if you want our respect :thumbdown:

please don't be one of those "white people are trying to keep us koreans down" conspiracy theorists. it makes you look foolish and petty. if you carry that chip on your shoulder through the application process, it will only come back to haunt you. just do your best to present a strong application (and your 3.97 sounds like you are more than capable of doing just that), and try to not assume people are all out to get you.

If you haven't figured it out, med school applicants are evaluated on their academics, experiences, and maturity. Its obvious from your useless rants that you are egoistic, ethnocentric and crass. This is probably why even with your 3.97 GPA you still have no respect. :thumbdown:

Yes, stupid white people. Thankfully, you won't have any white people as classmates when you start medical school! Oh, wait....

Are you planning on attending an American med school? Cause that attitude is going to create some minor problems.

how old are you? 3?

Yes, stupid white people. Thankfully, you won't have any white people as classmates when you start medical school! Oh, wait....

Are you planning on attending an American med school? Cause that attitude is going to create some minor problems.

I don't think any med school would accept him/her if maturity is part of admissibility. So don't worry about that.

Someone ban this troll already. And yes, I basically refuse to believe anybody can actually be this *****ic.

I'm not even sure a single post by the OP makes sense in this thread. White people demand 4.0's for respect? No Koreans go to med schools in the entire frickin' mid-west?

Actually, I kind of hope the OP isn't a troll, because it'll be fun to see how they manage to get rejected by 50 schools with a 3.97 GPA.

I can't comment on whether Korean people get accepted to midwest schools because I have no idea about that..

But what I DO know from personal experience is the severe dearth of Korean restaurants in med school towns in the midwest. As most of my posts indicate, I have a one (okay, two)-track mind: med school apps, and good food. So I think trolls aside, this dearth MUST be addressed. ;) I was so sad after my Toledo interview, and I desperately wanted a bowl of mulnaengmyun or a plate of dukbokgi to cheer me up. I even had a car and was willing to drive. Imagine my sadness to find out from my phone navigation that not only was there no Korean restaurant in Toledo, but that the nearest one was in Lansing, MI. And I went to that one the week before, during my MSU interview.

Le sigh. I'd be thrilled to go to med school anywhere and will do so without reservations, but I gotta admit the dearth of Korean restaurants will kill me..

i say deport his a** seabass.

what the hell is the point of this question? What does this have to do with all of us getting into medical schools?.......this just shows how ignorant and uneducated you are by bringing up such question......

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO whats up?

I must say, sometimes I am a little embarrassed to be korean.
But hey, every nationality has their share of idiots... no?

There's at least one Korean in the year ahead of me in my midwest 'white' school. To the OP: check your MSAR again, I remember (from last year) there were at least a few midwest schools that had koreans matriculating.

The Asian American population is heavily urbanized, with nearly three-quarters of Asian Americans living in metropolitan areas with population greater than 2.5 million. Asian Americans are concentrated in the largest U.S. cities, with 40% of all Asian Americans living in the metropolitan areas around Los Angeles, San Francisco, and New York City. Half of all Asian Americans (5.4M) live in Hawaii or the West Coast, mostly in California (4.2M). Census data shows that Asian American populations are developing in major metropolitan areas off of the West Coast, with visible communities in areas in and around Washington, D.C./Baltimore and Houston, to name the largest examples. - Wikipedia (ok not the most reliable of sources, but it'll do for argument's sake)

Maybe you should take a look at where the Koreans live... most schools (therefore most of the schools in the "white people" states) give preference to IS applicants. Few Korean residents = few Korean students. Think about it.

I don't know where you'd get an idea like this. :confused: Like the other poster said, maybe that's true at state schools in states without many Korean residents, but it's definitely not true at private schools. My class is actually majority Asian. Koreans are well represented. And Cleveland is about as midwestern as you can get. ;)

I suppose the obvious demographics of the region have eluded you. For that matter it is just simply amazing to me that there are not more caucasion students enrolled in medical programs in North Korea.

My tour guide at a Midwest school was Korean.. and while we were walking down the hallway he pulled aside several of his friends, who were all Korean too. And at my other Midwest interview there were several Korean people as well.. two fellow interviewees were also Korean.

There are a good amount of Koreans matriculating into chicago schools, me being one myself. As one of the posters already stated, Koreans--or just Asian Americans for that matter-- tend to cluster around large urban areas so be sure to consider them when you make generalizations of midwestern medical school demographics.

the koreans i see in college only hang out with other koreans and yell at each other in korean even in public places. they can't speak english, and they frequently cheat on tests (as a TA for science classes, I have seen them cheat personally). this is why i feel like they should not be accepted.

the koreans i see in college only hang out with other koreans and yell at each other in korean even in public places. they can't speak english, and they frequently cheat on tests (as a TA for science classes, I have seen them cheat personally). this is why i feel like they should not be accepted.

K don't generalize for a WHOLE race based on seeing a couple of bad seeds.............. but I will admit in calculus they PURE cheat at the back by speaking in their own language and being so loud during tests and blatantly cheating!!! and i do notice koreans tend to hang out with koreans only....i had a korean friend and the other koreans in the school would make fun of him for hanging out with non koreans...:thumbdown:

Regarding the last 2 posts, I've never seen this at my school...in fact, I've never heard anybody speak in any language other than English during class time (other than language classes obviously).

Although, upon visiting my alma mater I did find out that the Korean international students apparently formed their own club instead of hanging out with the Korean-American students, which I personally thought was mighty uncool with the divisiveness (plus, KASA is already having enough trouble as it is getting enough people to help out with their annual show, so splintering the group isn't very nice). And umm, I'm not Korean, but the reason why I know this is because back in my day the Chinese and Korean students were much less splintered...so it kinda broke my heart to go back and hear the older kids tell us how it's become some splinter-cell festival (there's many other ridiculous groups that I'm pretty sure could only include like 5 people).

But I've never seen anybody cheat by speaking in another language before...for one thing wouldn't that be awfully obvious? If your school is letting people talk loudly during tests there's something really wrong.

To echo the other posters, Midwestern schools do accept Koreans (or Korean Americans, however you might choose to define your citizenship or identity). From personal experience at interviews from schools in the Midwest, I've met numerous Asian interviewees. There was no sense of discrimination against Asians or Koreans in particular, at least none that I perceived. As a Korean American applicant, I'm grateful to say that I got into those schools, all of whom I think are fantastic.

As mentioned before, the dearth of Korean applicants matriculating into midwest schools is most likely due to location. Many of the Asian and Korean interviewees that I've met at these schools were from the coasts and preferred to go to school there. As my family is from the East Coast, and I eventually want to settle there, I'm also waiting to hear from a couple of schools before I make my final decision, in which the availability of kimchi near the school will definitely play a role. :D

To the OP, I can understand if you don't want to feel like the only Korean applicant in this process, especially if you're an international student, but the way you're going about it comes off as ethnocentric. Not to say that racism doesn't exist, but the "oppression" that you're sensing, whether from Midwestern schools or from "whites", most likely does not exist, and it makes you come off as someone with a constant sense of victimization. This will hurt you in the medical school application process, especially when obtaining the LORs and during the interviews. There is tremendous value to be gained from cultivating friendships from a wide range of people, such as open-mindedness, interpersonal skills, a stronger grasp of the English language if you're an international student, and the ability to avoid stereotypes and biases in your interactions with others.

As for dr_90210, try to avoid painting an entire ethnic group with the same brush, since that makes you guilty of the same racism that the OP is claiming. Unfortunately, among premeds (and students in general), cheating exists across the entire spectrum of race, ethnicity, gender, fields of study, etc. Maybe you noticed the Korean students because they stand out more, coming from a different ethnic group and speaking a different language. But you're overlooking the other students in the class who find subtler ways to cheat. Yes, as someone who abhors cheating and the lack of integrity it engenders, I can understand it's infuriating to witness, but your comments are reductionist and immature. Not all Koreans form cliques with each other and cheat on tests and gossip about "white" people and Japanese-straighten their hair and so on, and they should not all be banned from medical school. Cheaters are individuals who cheat, not the product of an entire race or ethnic group.

And I agree with Cirrus83; divisiveness is uncool. It's a shame to see it, especially since it's been an incredible experience for me to befriend people of many different backgrounds, Asian and non-Asian (not to sound all Hallmark-y or anything). Although I've witnessed the same thing with some Korean students, some of them international (a tendency to form cliques exclusively with their own), I've also met many who really hate and avoid that clique-y scene entirely, so even that generalization isn't wholly accurate.

Okay, I'm getting off my soapbox now and eating some chocolate caramel cookies. Let's let this thread die a quiet death, sinking slowly to the bottom of the forum and eventually out of our sight.

xylem, you sound like a bitter person. Also, I realized that you're from Canada! It is 10x harder for canadiens to get into the US med schools; Being Asian and Canadian = Near impossible admission to the US schools, unless your credential is far surperior than avg americans

Anyways, white people- esp Europeans- are scared of Asian people's advances and innovation in technology. For example, Samsung,which is a Korean-owned cell-phone brand, is making more splash in the world market than "white-people" cell phone brands. Additonally, they-Samsung- came up with another new model that allows one to use the phone to watch satellite TV, open 'bar-scanned' doors, purchase goods in supermarket (like a credit card), etc. Also, Toyota - although not Korean - is pretty much taking over WHITE-PEOPLE-cars, such as GM, BMW, Ford and so forth. Such advances are making Western culture look inferior and white people pissed off at the Easterners.

:smuggrin:

Anyways, white people- esp Europeans- are scared of Asian people's advance and innovation in technology. For example, Samsung,which is a Korean-owned cell-phone brand, is making more splash in the world market than "white-people" cell phone brands. Additonally, they-Samsung- came up with another new model that allows one to use the phone to watch satellite TV, open 'bar-scanned' doors, purchase goods in supermarket (like a credit card), etc. Also, Toyota - although not Korean - is pretty much taking over WHITE-PEOPLE-cars, such as GM, BMW, Ford and so forth. Such advances are making Western culture look inferior and white people pissed off at the Easterners.

OMG - please ban this guy!!!!

Such advances reinforces Western culture and its profound impact on the entire world, not make it look inferior.

This is actually a two part questions. I'm applying for a summer internship at Brewster Keegan. I was wondering:
a) What's it like being an investment banker and
b) would you write me a recommendation?

Shessh.. Kenneth Park is a way cooler Korean than Koreahasonelessdumfudge

Anyways, white people- esp Europeans- are scared of Asian people's advance and innovation in technology. For example, Samsung,which is a Korean-owned cell-phone brand, is making more splash in the world market than "white-people" cell phone brands. Additonally, they-Samsung- came up with another new model that allows one to use the phone to watch satellite TV, open 'bar-scanned' doors, purchase goods in supermarket (like a credit card), etc. Also, Toyota - although not Korean - is pretty much taking over WHITE-PEOPLE-cars, such as GM, BMW, Ford and so forth. Such advances are making Western culture look inferior and white people pissed off at the Easterners.

Let me tell you something sunny boy. Americans don't even know where Samsung products are made. An american way of patriotism is a way different than an asian way. Americans are scared of Asian countries because of advanced technology and many Asian brains? Here's the truth; When Asian countries try their ass off to raise brains, America is feeding the brains with McDonald's Happy Meals.