Why no one has any trust in medicine and science in regards to COVID-19 now...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LADoc00

Gen X, the last great generation
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I expect the fall out from absolutely ABYSMAL decision making to last for years on medicine and health care in general in this country.

You thought the anti-vaxxers were bad? People are gonna avoid all healthcare, well aside from all the COVID-19 cases which will flood in and collapse the dying husks of the remaining hospitals.

IMG_9654.JPG

Members don't see this ad.

• Sad
  • Haha
  • Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
I wish someone would settle once and for all whether hydrochloroquine is useful or not. Cracks me up how it became a liberals vs conservatives issue. They are just looking for crap to disagree on.

Reactions: 1 user
I expect the fall out from absolutely ABYSMAL decision making to last for years on medicine and health care in general in this country.

You thought the anti-vaxxers were bad? People are gonna avoid all healthcare, well aside from all the COVID-19 cases which will flood in and collapse the dying husks of the remaining hospitals.

View attachment 309240
Yeah it doesn't help when they close up all the churches and local businesses but keep things like liqour stotes open lol!

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish someone would settle once and for all whether hydrochloroquine is useful or not. Cracks me up how it became a liberals vs conservatives issue. They are just looking for crap to disagree on.
It was never a liberal vs
It was never a liberal vs conservative issue. It is about a an idiot not understanding science and promoting hydroxychloroquine. Science gave us answers. But guess what another imbecile in Brazil still forcing health care workers including physicians to promote/prescribe hydroxychloroquine. Because he got gift of millions of doses of it from another idiot.

It was never a liberal vs conservative issue. It is about a an idiot not understanding science and promoting hydroxychloroquine. Science gave us answers. But guess what another imbecile in Brazil still forcing health care workers including physicians to promote/prescribe hydroxychloroquine. Because he got gift of millions of doses of it from another idiot.

What is the deal with people name calling? Do you not have any social skills or are you that miserable of a human being? YOU sound like an "idiot".

Reactions: 1 users
What is the deal with people name calling? Do you not have any social skills or are you that miserable of a human being? YOU sound like an "idiot".

Trying to indicate that promoting widespread hydroxychloroquine use before it was proven was a smart move? The government response to this pandemic has been definitively idiotic. That's fair game at this point.

Is it a smart move by the media to fear monger a possible preventative measure either? Who the hell would sign up for a study to test the drug on front line employees when you have been told over and over again it can kill you by media outlets that hate Trump?

The government and media both have been disappointing. Too many contradictions, mixed messages, politicizing.

Speaking of hydroxychloroquine. It is in the news today. I'm sure fox, dr oz will take this one study and say they were vindicated while the other outlets discredit it.

Last edited:

It would appear that under the right circumstances, it is a valid treatment. It was always stupid to let the patient get to the point of DAD/ARDS and then decide to do therapy...of any kind. But ultimately, between the HCQ doesn't work to working, to masks then no masks then masks again, then to massively inaccurate models, its no wonder there's no trust left in either the media or medical community. This whole thing was politicized from the very beginning to the detriment of us all.

Wat? Trump forcing American docs to prescribe hcq? I think they are stupid enough to do that on their own.

When a person resists arrest, runs away with a PO taser, turns around and shoots something at the officer then dies after getting shot then the PO gets charged with a felony then nothing will surprise me.

We stopped discussing the facts and have turned into a country of social media idiots who wants blood for the perceived slights in the past. Everything is politicized no matter the issue.

Reactions: 8 users
"The media" (and by extension much of the public) wants quick fixes, simple explanations, and minimal nuance. That's why a story of one therapy and whether it works or not, becomes a huge point of discussion, even if it's at best a marginal solution, it has to be "good" or "bad." Not many people listen to the thoughtful discussion of pluses and minuses where the unknown is emphasized. More people listen to "debate" on which extreme position is more likely to be slightly closer to the truth.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it a smart move by the media to fear monger a possible preventative measure either? Who the hell would sign up for a study to test the drug on front line employees when you have been told over and over again it can kill you by media outlets that hate Trump?

The government and media both have been disappointing. Too many contradictions, mixed messages, politicizing.

Speaking of hydroxychloroquine. It is in the news today. I'm sure fox, dr oz will take this one study and say they were vindicated while the other outlets discredit it.

You have got to also then blame Trump since he politicized its use from the beginning, as he has also continued to discourage social distancing and mask wearing with his actual words. He is the head of the government and continues saying things like "99% of cases are completely harmless". At the same time houston, Maricopa county, and other places are seeing record cases and are nearing capacity.

At the peak of the pre-shutdown virus, 20% of tests were positive. Before states were reopening, we were down to 5%. Well, across southern states we are again approaching about 20%. Maybe going around as the head of the government saying this is no big deal, and touting unproven drugs as miracle cures, and claiming a vaccine will be available imminently... is not something a smart or competent leader would do? What's a good word to describe these actions?

Reactions: 2 users
You have got to also then blame Trump since he politicized its use from the beginning, as he has also continued to discourage social distancing and mask wearing with his actual words. He is the head of the government and continues saying things like "99% of cases are completely harmless". At the same time houston, Maricopa county, and other places are seeing record cases and are nearing capacity.

At the peak of the pre-shutdown virus, 20% of tests were positive. Before states were reopening, we were down to 5%. Well, across southern states we are again approaching about 20%. Maybe going around as the head of the government saying this is no big deal, and touting unproven drugs as miracle cures, and claiming a vaccine will be available imminently... is not something a smart or competent leader would do? What's a good word to describe these actions?

Two good words; lying politician ( like they all are)

And the liberals were non political ?DR. FAUCI was down playing CORONAVIRUS in the US until mid MARCH.Then he went all in using a now debunked model from ENGLAND predicting a death rate 20 times that which it is.The lock down was to keep hospitals from being overrun.Except in certain focused areas it isn't happening any longer because it is younger, less ill people testing positive.I have seen people die from delayed care because of the lock down.If there were no political agenda to the recording of causes of death,i contend the lock down will kill more than the virus.

• Haha
People technically don't acutely need churches open to survive. I guess one could argue that someone could become distraught and depressed with not going to church and take their life due to those circumstances...but doubtful this would happen on any type of scale other than isolated incident.

While it's unfortunate, alcoholics need liquor stores open to survive (unless we want to round them all up and put them into treatment/detox centers at the same time)

The problem here, as is my issue with how most of this has been handled, is that public education about all the things that happened just isn't there. If they close churches, but keep liquor stores open, they need to educate the public on why that happens. Instead, most things happen like this: "Do (or don't do this) this now!" *no further explanation*. That's the type of thing that people (especially Americans) don't do well with.

My state actually closed liquor stores for awhile. That was surprising to me honestly.

This lack of explanation/education is another reason why people are losing trust. It's across the board. If a patient comes in and the physician just tells them "Ok, well take this medicine I prescribe daily. See you in 3 months" versus "Ok, you have pre-diabetes. This is what that means...these are the implications...There are medicines and lifestyle changes that can help....". The patient is going to trust the latter more than the former.

Last edited:
And the liberals were non political ?DR. FAUCI was down playing CORONAVIRUS in the US until mid MARCH.Then he went all in using a now debunked model from ENGLAND predicting a death rate 20 times that which it is.The lock down was to keep hospitals from being overrun.Except in certain focused areas it isn't happening any longer because it is younger, less ill people testing positive.I have seen people die from delayed care because of the lock down.If there were no political agenda to the recording of causes of death,i contend the lock down will kill more than the virus.

Did you actually read the report accompanying the model from Imperial College London? It explicitly stated that the 2.2 million estimate is "in the unlikely absence of any control measures or spontaneous changes in individual behaviour."

You're arguing that Dr. Fauci's use of the Imperial College model was a political, liberal thing?

It was severely flawed according to other researchers.

I think I read somewhere that if you have a highly complex system with lots of money intertwined into that system, fraud is almost always guaranteed.

You're arguing that Dr. Fauci's use of the Imperial College model was a political, liberal thing?
No.The prognosticated mortality and morbidity of the disease to the overall population was fortunately much too dire.In the long run i'm not sure continued severe lock downs will lessen the number infected.

Last edited:
Remember when all these geniuses were going to have armies of “contact tracers”?

LMAO.

No.The prognosticated mortality and morbidity of the disease to the overall population was fortunately much too dire.In the long run i'm not sure continued severe lock downs will lessen the number infected.
Not sure I understand. Do you think over the long run, the same number will be infected with or without lock downs? Over infinite time I would agree. But what about over the span of the next 6-8 months, when we may be looking at better treatments and the beginnings of vaccination?