Why not apply to all the available programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D1stant

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So why bother registering in "Matcharesident.com" or "Frieda"?

Why dont applicants simply apply to ALL the positions that are participating in the match?
Is it the application fees?

I mean even if some programs have only 5% IMG's, who know that might be you..

I don't get it.

Please Explain.

Members don't see this ad.

Applying is expensive. Once you have a certain number of interviews you're basically set to match. You have your preferences on where you want to go. I don't get why you think that applying to all the programs makes any sense

Reactions: 1 users
In some of the more competitive specialties people do apply to all the available programs (in that specialty).

Especially if they're an average/below average applicant...

It wouldn't make sense to apply to every single residency in every specialty though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your response.

So other than the fact that it is expensive, there is no wisdom behind it?

I am an IMG who is seeking a General Surgery Residency, and my scores are slightly above average. 234/240

So I see no reason not to apply for ALL the programs in that speciality.

Additionally, I will apply for ER residency as a Plan B..

I have another Question. Once I apply through ERAS, am I all set? or should I email, call the contact person?

Thanks again for your response

I am an IMG who is seeking a General Surgery Residency, and my scores are slightly above average. 234/240

I have another Question. Once I apply through ERAS, am I all set? or should I email, call the contact person?

I might be wrong but my impression is emergency medicine is probably at least as competitive as general surgery for the IMG. Maybe even more competitive.

In any case I wouldn't use EM as a backup specialty since you quite likely will not get into EM especially if you don't already have an SLOE.

I'd also make sure to apply to tons of surgical prelims if you really want GS.

As an IMG, there are a lot of programs you can just not bother applying to... If a program doesn't have a history of taking IMG residents, you shouldn't bother.

Reactions: 1 users