why not biology major?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Don't let people scare you by saying "there are way too many biology majors". If you enjoy biology, then major it in. If you don't, then don't. You're curriculum isn't going to be what really makes you stand out anyway. Also, I don't think being a biology major gives you that much of an edge in medical school, except maybe you'll have a little more familiarity with some more topics like Micro and such. But this will only last for a week probably before everyone is at the same level of ignorance again.

Members don't see this ad.

Is there a reason for this....because I was thinking of majoring in it? :confused:
I'm an incoming freshy.

I'm thinking it's because it's so broad that the road's open to you after college should you choose not to pursue medicine aren't too promising. I don't think it's the major itself that is specifically bad because any major you take should do fine for medical school provided you handle the prereqs well.

I was worried about backup plans if rejected from med school with a bio major but I think I should have a reasonable picture of whether I can actually do this by halfway through sophmore year(gen chem/calc/1st sem. org) and I can always switch later if things don't pan out.

Btw, thnx for responses.

Members don't see this ad :)
find me a biology program that requires one to have an understanding of physical chemistry, organic chemistry, analytical chemistry, and multi-dimensional calculus.

Biochemistry is harder than biology.

Amen to that

I was worried about backup plans if rejected from med school with a bio major but I think I should have a reasonable picture of whether I can actually do this by halfway through sophmore year(gen chem/calc/1st sem. org) and I can always switch later if things don't pan out.

Btw, thnx for responses.

That's exactly what I've been worrying about lately. I'm also on the B.S. biology track. But I'm concerned about the job opportunities if I don't get admitted to med school right after college. I'm thinking of doing a dual major (Bio & Busi Adm). Hopefully, this will make me stand out in adcoms eyes. Even if I have to work for a while, there are plenty of Business jobs available.

You don't have to major in biology, but also keep in mind that the more sciences you take in undergrad, the more prepared you will be for the MCATs. I'm a Nutrition Science major, we're required to take Anatomy & Phys (cadavers!) and the upper division nutrition classes involve a lot of biochemistry. I also think it's a plus with diabetes and heart disease being such large issues today.

Last edited:
OP, you should major in something that has 'bio' in it: biology, biochemistry, bioengineering, etc. and minor in theater if you really want. What bio major you pursue exactly is not important. People say that you can major in anything you want, but that's not entirely true. Medicine is fundamentally based on biology, and while knowledge of psychology or theater is nice to round out your application, in the end, your patients will care very little if you were the best tuba player in marching band or if you could do the sexiest Gancho in dance class. Just my 2 cents.