Why not choose your school based on the computer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

madbay

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So you've probably seen the threads on the schools that prefer/require various types of computers. I, for one, am praying that Apple releases its Tablet Mac before I matriculate in the fall...

http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/26/here-we-go-again-mac-tablet-claimed-for-mid-2007-launch/

I've been a PC user my entire life (and, as an engineer, with good cause), but I can't help but get excited over the idea of a super-deluxe-iPod for a computer. So I'm ready to decline any acceptance offers at schools that don't fancy a Mac :)

Rumor is that Apple's going to tease us at the Macworld expo in January...

Members don't see this ad.

no way you can turn down a medical school because they dont like Macs. But if you like to use it i dont think they will care.

So you've probably seen the threads on the schools that prefer/require various types of computers. I, for one, am praying that Apple releases its Tablet Mac before I matriculate in the fall...

http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/26/here-we-go-again-mac-tablet-claimed-for-mid-2007-launch/

I've been a PC user my entire life (and, as an engineer, with good cause), but I can't help but get excited over the idea of a super-deluxe-iPod for a computer. So I'm ready to decline any acceptance offers at schools that don't fancy a Mac :)

Rumor is that Apple's going to tease as at the Macworld expo in January...

tablet mac....amazing! lets hope its good!

i didnt know school prefered one machine over the other, besides im sure both are compatable at any school.....

Members don't see this ad :)
no way you can turn down a medical school because they dont like Macs. But if you like to use it i dont think they will care.

So, I was being sarcastic, but I guess I'm better at that in person...

i got it madbay :) assuming the super-ipod line was the tipoff

no way you can turn down a medical school because they dont like Macs

You could, but you would have to be in possession of a tenuous and questionable grasp on sanit and reality. :laugh:

Jon Stewart-

Some require a specific computer, and some (like UNC-Chapel Hill) require you to purchase a particular computer (Lenovo in their case) from them, configured by them, pre-loaded with software that you probably already have (e.g. Office) for an exhorbitant price (~$2,500 in their case). As much as I like UNC, that's a major drawback, considering I just purchased a new laptop.

tell me which school likes sony vaios???????

you are lucky if you'll get accepted by the school that'll fancy your style of computer. many people, myself included, will be happy to attend any medical school they applied at

sigh... medicine is a Windows world... Too bad too, my motherboard died a week before finals and I'd love to get a MacBook. Of course if I go to Wake or Case or any other school that includes a computer in the tuition, whatever i buy will end up being wasted money in 6 months.

(anyone got an intel mac mini they want to sell me?)

Case includes a computer in the tuition?

Well I'm getting a new desktop iMac and I'm excited about that.

Wayne State does require a Pocket PC, so I'm not exactly sure which one will be the best for what we will use it for. Anyone from WSU have any experience on which model will be the best and even if it is required? They say it is not required but "we recommend that you purchase a device during your first year at Wayne State Medical School."

Minimum specs are:

Intel 400 MHz processor with Windows Mobile 2003 2nd Ed.
Internal Wi-Fi
128 MB RAM/32 MB ROM
240X320 resolution
Removable battery

Just from scanning what is out there it seems to be pretty stringent requirements. Oh yeah... And I hate Windows. I've been using macs since I was 4 years old. We just gave away our Mac IIsi that's been sitting in a closet for years if anyone's heard of them.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_ii/stats/mac_iisi.html

Yes... 20MHz. people. :laugh:

Heres a partial list that will give you an idea of what schools require what:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?referrerid=81776&t=321858

Fortunately, as long as you don't go to a school that makes you buy a specific computer from them, you'll be ok. I've found a lot require Windows, which can be done with a Mac now so its not really an issue.

But yes, I feel the same way - I want a Mac and I would be seriously unhappy going to a school that required me to buy their PC.

Well I'm getting a new desktop iMac and I'm excited about that.

Wayne State does require a Pocket PC, so I'm not exactly sure which one will be the best for what we will use it for. Anyone from WSU have any experience on which model will be the best and even if it is required? They say it is not required but "we recommend that you purchase a device during your first year at Wayne State Medical School."

Minimum specs are:

Intel 400 MHz processor with Windows Mobile 2003 2nd Ed.
Internal Wi-Fi
128 MB RAM/32 MB ROM
240X320 resolution
Removable battery

Just from scanning what is out there it seems to be pretty stringent requirements. Oh yeah... And I hate Windows. I've been using macs since I was 4 years old. We just gave away our Mac IIsi that's been sitting in a closet for years if anyone's heard of them.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_ii/stats/mac_iisi.html

Yes... 20MHz. people. :laugh:

Just cuz you have a mac doesn't mean cant use a pocket pc. I have a HP iPAQ rx3715 and I absolutely love it. I downloaded The Missing Sinc from apple.com and it works fine.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/productivity_tools/themissingsync.html

The only goof up that I find (for both Mac and Windows) is that if you start an office document on your pocket pc, then you can't view it on your pc or laptop. So I just keep a couple blank documents that I started on the pc and save them to my iPAQ.

Another bit of advice: get the extended warranty. You will be surprised how delicate those things can be in a busy hospital environment. For that matter, get a rhinoskin case to protect it as well, plus it will hold a couple extra SD cards. In the past two years, I have had the screen replaced twice, and the whole unit replaced once without a dime out of my pocket.

Just cuz you have a mac doesn't mean cant use a pocket pc. I have a HP iPAQ rx3715 and I absolutely love it. I downloaded The Missing Sinc from apple.com and it works fine.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/productivity_tools/themissingsync.html

The only goof up that I find (for both Mac and Windows) is that if you start an office document on your pocket pc, then you can't view it on your pc or laptop. So I just keep a couple blank documents that I started on the pc and save them to my iPAQ.

Another bit of advice: get the extended warranty. You will be surprised how delicate those things can be in a busy hospital environment. For that matter, get a rhinoskin case to protect it as well, plus it will hold a couple extra SD cards. In the past two years, I have had the screen replaced twice, and the whole unit replaced once without a dime out of my pocket.

Thanks. Yeah I'm a huge believer in extended warranties. And I'm sure I will drop the thing repeatedly, so extra padding is good.

So I'm ready to decline any acceptance offers at schools that don't fancy a Mac :)
Uhh seeing as how all Macs are x86 now anyways, why does it matter...they can all run Windows, so every Mac is also a PC. In fact, hardware wise they're identical save for a chip that tells OS X that the computer is made by Apple.

You can even hack OS X to run on regular PCs, just have to trick it into thinking your computer is made by Apple, and you're up and running.

Anyways, obviously your joking, but still, just wanted to point this out =p