Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Why NOT D.O. school?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by vhawk, Apr 29, 2004.

1. vhawk

vhawk 2K Member
    Physician Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It has come up in numerous posts that people who really care to be doctors will take the D.O. or Caribbean route if they do not get accepted to allopathic schools, or at least after a few rounds of apps. The question I have is, have and adcom people or interviewers asked why you arent applying to DO school right away? And if so, what was your answer? I mean, its been stated that DO and Caribbean people are still doctors the same as everyone else, so why the preference for the normal MD?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. exmike

exmike NOR * CAL
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    a troll! for the love of SDN please ignore this thread! :thumbdown:

4. vhawk

vhawk 2K Member

Attending Physician
    Sorry, I am new to SDN. What is a troll?

5. joshua_msu

joshua_msu Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

seriously, idiots like you post the same stupid question three or four times a week. all you have to do is search and you can get your answers.

6. vhawk

vhawk 2K Member

Attending Physician
    Ok, so the post about if you won the lottery isnt orignal, but no one blasted them! It was just an opinion question, I was wondering what people thought, but fine, I will never speak again.

7. exmike

exmike NOR * CAL
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    ok maybe you're not a troll. your question doesnt really make sense. You apply where you want to apply. No adcom is going to ask you what you're asking. How would they even know when/where/why you applied? Anways, since you're new to SDN, threads about the validity of DO and offshore MD degrees end up being flame-fests that rarely yield any useful info.

8. Sean2tall

Sean2tall Pathology Resident
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yikes peeps. .
    Chill a little.

The OP is just asking why some people wouldn't try to go DO if they don't get into MD school. I swear sometimes new posters are crucified on their first day for being a troll when they ask an old question.

9. vhawk

vhawk 2K Member

Attending Physician
    I am starting to sort of understand why I got yelled at, and I apologize. I didnt mean to start trouble. Its just that when people say that it doesnt matter if you go to DO or MD, either is a doctor, it seems weird that very few people choose DO right away, but its more of a backup. I guess I just envision an interviewer seeing a so-so app and asking if they would go to DO school if they didnt get in, or if they considered DO school in addition to MD? and also, there is another post that said that adcoms DO know what other schools you applied to. No further posts need to be added to this thread if you dont want, I can search and find it if this has been talked about previously.

10. LP1CW

LP1CW Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

buddy, your qoute, "it seems weird that very few people choose DO right away, but its more of a backup."

That's what starts a good flame. Be careful. For many people, DO programs aren't backups. Some people truly go into Osteopathic medicine because they like the school, OMT, location, etc.. At this point, I view DO schools as additional US medical schools because you can complete your residency at an allopathic site and you can choose to go into any field you want. I'm starting at an Allopathic school this fall, but I will respect my colleagues based on their abilities and not the initials at the end of their name.

So, welcome to our site. We're like a family, we support each other, fight sometimes, and many of us are quite co-dependent.

11. lealf-ye

lealf-ye I am a super doctor.
    7+ Year Member

tough time. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

12. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi and welcome to SDN[​IMG]

This is a difficult time in a lot of people's lives due to the stress of the application process winding down, so don't take it too personally. Plus this is one of the topics that start wars ( word of advice stay away from the affirmative action and URM status).

Adcoms will not ask if you applied to DO nor will they tell you to apply to DO. At least I would be super surprised if they did that. I am a reapplicant and neither the first time I applied nor the second time I applied did any of the MD schools bring up the subject of DO schools.

The process for applying to MD and DO schools is done through two separate application entities. AMCAS doesn't know that you applied to AACOMAS and vice versa. And MD schools do NOT know you applied to DO and vice versa.

I did apply to both, was accepted to both BUT chose the DO school over the MD school. I loved the school and the location!!!

13. stoic

stoic "Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

There are 120+ MD schools and 20 DO schools. Based on this fact alone it really isn't that surprising that many fewer people choose DO schools.

For me the decision to apply to DO schools is largely geographical (I'm in Kansas so the MD/DO bias is basically non-existant). There aren't that many med schools located around here, and of the ones that are here, quite a few are DO schools (UHS, KCOM, OSU). I'm applying to all the area MD and DO schools in hopes of staying close to home. If I get into both MD and DO schools (what a great problem to have!), I'll decide where to go based on which school is the best fit for me and my goals. I'm interested in primary care, so because DO schools focus so heavily on primary care, DO schools seem to be a good fit for me.